Parallax Background — Now for sale in the Scirra Store!
I’ve been using the built-in parallax system for a long time, it worked fine for 1 or 2 backgrounds, but when you try doing anything serious with it, it feels incomplete and painful to use.
I needed to have multiple backgrounds, each with its own scrolling rate. So I had to make like a hundred layers and fiddle with their properties. No way, that’s way too tedious!
I needed my backgrounds to stretch across the screen to give the illusion that the game world was infinite. After many hours wasted on the event sheet, I was so frustrated and my code could barely work. What a pain in the a$$!
I needed my backgrounds to look good no matter the zoom level, but as soon as I changed the layout size, everything went bonkers, and I needed to re-write my events from scratch. How aggravating!
I also wanted to add animated torches and smoke in the background. I needed single objects that don’t stretch or tile around the screen like the sun, a windmill in the distance or a planet in a top-down space game.
I needed more control over my backgrounds. And I believe you do too.
The Parallax Addon for Construct 2 and Construct 3 will help you painlessly add layered, parallax-scrolling backgrounds of all kinds in your game.
The addon is made of 4 behaviors. They were designed with ease of use and simplicity in mind.
It feels amazing finally being able to have beautiful layered backgrounds in your game without spending like a gazillion hours juggling events and layers.
List of Features
- Includes behavior files for Construct 2 (.c2adon) and Construct 3 (.c3addon).
- Supports animated (Sprite-based) and non-animated (Tiledbackground-based) backgrounds.
- Supports horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling, and top-down scrolling in all directions.
- Supports screen wrapping in all directions in two distinct modes: stretching and tiling.
- Only requires 1 layer. You can have hundreds of backgrounds in one layer.
- Accomodates runtime screen size changes.
- Accomodates runtime layout scale changes (zooming in and out).
- Supports all full-screen scaling modes, all layout/screen sizes and all layout scrolling modes (bounded and unbounded).
- You always have full control over your backgrounds at runtime: you can move them, rescale them, change the tile size, and the addon will react to your changes and keep everything looking nice and good.
- Initially made for horizontal scrolling games, now it works for vertical scrollers and top-down games as well.
- All properties are fully exposed in the debugger.
- Supports saving and loading.
- Blazing fast performance on browser and mobile.
- Demo projects that cover horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling, auto-scrolling and top-down scrolling.
- A detailed and easy-to-read manual to quickly get you started.