Windows 7

0 favourites
  • Well, it is inconvenient for developers when people stick to old operating systems ... especially since XP and Vista have very different file structure & security models. Windows XP is 8 years old, which is like having to support Windows 98 in 2006.

CD is an old storage of digital data, DVD is a modern storage of digital data. Both are reliable. And stable (by any means). Typing, printing, Internet browsing, gaming, ... listening, watching, beeping, breaking, switching etc. etc. etc. - all this can be done in WinXP. And most progs can work... work under XP. An ordinary user would like to have not a Formula-1 car, but normal, working, eco, not big, not small car.

Well, it is inconvenient for developers when people stick to old operating systems

Well, it is inconvenient for users when developers stick to the newest operating system.

Windows XP is 8 years old...

I'm 26 (haven't got in-built support for Ribbon, DirectX10/11, USB3, SATA-III, HDTV and so on), but still working without any problem. Long life WinXP (and me also)!!!

...in cases like the Windows 7/Vista ribbon, or DirectX 11, useful features are actually cut because developers know it's too much effort to use a secondary system to support everyone who's still on XP...

Ribbon in MS Office 2007 works well under WinXP. DirectX 11? For what purposes?

This affects Construct, especially with DirectX 11.

Bugs affected Construct more, than (or with) DirectX 11.

No need to keep using old technologies when better ones are around, or write code twice when once could do.

Ashley, as a developer you have right to write, that you are right (sounds nice for my ears). Sorry, my poetic off-top. Many people have not so powerful computers.

My example:

an old computer^ 512 MB RAM, 1900 Mhz, IDE drive

a new computer^ 1024 MB RAM, 2200 Mhz, SATA-II drive

That's the reason, why I will not try to install Win7 on my PC (in-built power (RAM+processor+etc) is not enough). Many people think the same. You have more "strong" PC, so you can trace new technologies and implement them.

By the way, ReactOS has Win2003 core, modern enough?

• ReactOS is a pile of crap currently and DirectX will never be implemented due to license issues. To install DirectX you "need" a copy of Windows. Read the EULA, interesting stuff.

People need to upgrade. Some people are still running AGP video cards and complain that they can't run the newest games. Well no kidding. An OS is no different.

DirectX11 along with DirectCompute open up new doorways to computing. Much like OpenCL will do. If you can't see the huge pro's to the new technology then your just being incredibly naive. Sorry to be blunt.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ugh, do I have to repeat myself? I don't really see the need for future incarnation of Construct to constrain itself to older platform which already is covered by current release.

I mean, are you going to buy a new car that is just as fast, albeit a little more efficient as the old car? Or are you going full out and buy a new model of the car, that'll go even faster and further?

Another example: Are you going to buy a P4 computer over Celeron? Or would you rather buy a Quad-Core?

Let's think ahead here a little... multi-cores are getting cheaper each month, even I could affort myself a dual-core AMD Phenom and I'm one of the most strapped with money around here. This machine runs Windows 7 without a hitch; heck, RC worked well on old computer anyway, which was Celeron 2.4 GHz.

In Construct's case, we can't afford to keep making small steps while everyone else is far ahead of us and gaining.

Construct 1 for XP, Construct 2 for W7/modern platforms. Hell, Construct 2 could feature even multi-threading support, how awesome would that be?

• I second this.

• I just mean C++ is limiting in some regards.

O_o

say what?

• Visual c++ pro.

• newt: C++ is a platform independent language. A future SDK will compile on other C++ compilers, but not in 0.x, it's already too late since it depends on Visual C++ specific compilation (one of many mistakes we plan to correct in C2).

One of the most frustrating things in the "should we support XP" debate is that there is no reason the Windows 7 couldn't run on XP - Office proves that. Microsoft just arbitrarily limited it to Vista and up to promote their newer OSs, so we as the small developers have to live with that.

• ReactOS is a pile of crap currently and DirectX will never be implemented due to license issues.

ReactOS ver.0.3.0 was a real pile of crap. Sure. Without any doubts.

ReactOS ver.0.3.10 is much better. Sure, not for everyday use.

ReactOS ver.0.3.11 will be even better.

And ReactOS is free, open and an international project. I remember one collage, where the USAF jet fired a missile to the Microsoft building, but this missile changed its way to avoid the target. The pilot finally said: "Oh, I understand, the missile was produced by Microsoft".

I don't need extra-super-puper-mega-tera-nano-beautiful-stable OS from Microsoft. I just need a stable instrument for scientific work. People must have choice, from voting to job, from a car model to an operation system. Microsoft was a real king of the mountain, but this king is nowadays an old king. Apple is not for me. So - ReactOS is my choice (in 2010). For CG - yeah, ReactOS now isn't suitable, but wait for a moment (6 months or so) and try it again.

DirectX11 along with DirectCompute open up new doorways to computing. Much like OpenCL will do. If you can't see the huge pro's to the new technology then your just being incredibly naive. Sorry to be blunt.

I'm ready to pay 100-200 Euro for a new technology. But, wait, all of my favourite games (Bombermania, Sky_Fire, Pathological, BMW M3 Challenge, Archibalds Adventures, Toribash, Racer, Armadillo Run, Green-D GreenChess, Shredder Classic, 2D DrivingSimulator) work pretty well without DirectX11. Even without DirectX10. Even without the latest DirectX9.

Well, one more example. I have two-core processor, but I can't load them fully in most of progs. So...people should try to utilize all power, that can be obtained from resources under their hands. Knowledge itself is power. Our planet is not a computer game, that can be reloaded. We must take care about resources, about energy - to obtain the maximum results. Not to hear about the best, the most modern, the most powerful etc... technologies. That's my point.

• Use Linux with Wine for your Windows apps. Both are free. That's another choice.

At least this way you'll have access to OpenCL if you have a decent video card made in the past 4 years.

• Use Linux with Wine for your Windows apps. Both are free. That's another choice.

Too slow. At least, slower than ReactOS itself. The main problem - ROS doesn't support SATA-II, installation from CD is impossible now (or must use an old computer).

Wait for ReactX (like DirectX).

• Too slow? Wine is incredibly fast here.. I play Team Fortress 2 on linux all the time...

• So yeah. win7 is really nice.

XD

• Does all the software from XP work on this new windows 7?

• I haven't found anything that runs on XP that doesn't on Windows 7. Event X-WIng vs Tie Fighter from the Windows 9x days runs.

• As with Vista, software that writes stuff on it's program folder will have to run with elevated priviledges.

Devs were told to not do that since XP came out though so... yeah.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)