The sorry state of the world

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
State Machine
$10.99 USD
State Machine is a great tool for managing the state of anything in your game.
  • That's a rather limited study, which fails to mention things like the USA having over double the teenage pregnance incidence of the UK. (Some European countries are level if not past us now, also.)

We do have a problem here, but it's more to do with the deprived state many families live in, which leads to poor education and wreckless attitudes towards things like sex. The solution unfortunately isn't simple, but things like the opening of special schools, giving out government handouts to these girls - who often abuse such systems - clearly isn't working.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • UK has 'highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe'

quote]

That's a rather limited study, which fails to mention things like the USA

A study on teen pregnancy in Europe which doesn't mention the USA? How strange

And actually, the study does mention the US:

[quote:thgfv1wz]Notably, the United States has the highest adolescent fertility rate of all developed countries, and 73 percent of 15- to 19-year-olds giving birth report that their pregnancies were unplanned.

I'd say the article's failure to mention the US was due more to the fact that it was a UK paper reporting news that would be of interest to UK citizens.

I'd go one further and say this: I don't know much about the politics of The Independent, but I would venture to guess that the omission of the US was designed to raise alarm bells with UK citizens about their own problem with teen pregnancy... whereas if they had mentioned the US as being even worse then everyone in England would just say "oh, well of course they are" and go about their day. It's spin. Mention only that which is necessary to get the reaction you're after.

Or perhaps I've just been rendered slightly paranoid and skeptical about the media considering the fact that US media is so slanted and biased.

• Hehe, well, perhaps it's just selective newspaper reporting as you said.

I find it very strange they didn't mention worldwide statistics if they're going to try and brand the UK as so terrible.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy

There is a ranking by country, but it seems to only count 15-19.

• OK, judging from that, the UK is terrible, so ignore my comment on that .

• I find it very strange they didn't mention worldwide statistics if they're going to try and brand the UK as so terrible.

Well, from the numbers I've seen the UK is actually pretty average compared to the rest of the world. It's the highest in Europe part that sounds all "omg national emergency!" when in actuality it's only leading by a couple percent, if you go off of that populationaction.org report.

• Wow, Niger in Africa has 233 out of 1000 births being made by underage (teen) girls... the UK on has 20 out of 1000 D:

I guess there are muchworse cases... 11 times worse...

~Sol

• Wow, Niger in Africa has 233 out of 1000 births being made by underage (teen) girls... the UK on has 20 out of 1000 D:

I guess there are muchworse cases... 11 times worse...

~Sol

yes but these people have electricity!

(I kid , please don't kill me)

• I heard about this on the news shortly after reading this thread lol.

Apparently they think he might not be the father because the girl was sleeping with a 14 year old at the same time and the 14 year old wants a DNA test. There are also 5 others guys that could potentially be a father as well!

wow...7 guys in the same month?

• Wow, Niger in Africa has 233 out of 1000 births being made by underage (teen) girls...

Not quite: It's per 1000 females-in-the-15-to-19-range, not per 1000 births. (Not that "nearly 1/4 of teenage girls have children" is any less worrying than "nearly 1/4 of new-borns have teenage mothers".)

• > Wow, Niger in Africa has 233 out of 1000 births being made by underage (teen) girls...

>

Not quite: It's per 1000 females-in-the-15-to-19-range, not per 1000 births. (Not that "nearly 1/4 of teenage girls have children" is any less worrying than "nearly 1/4 of new-borns have teenage mothers".)

I'm pretty sure that wikipedia said "per 1000 births".

*EDIT*

Yeah I read it wrong or something... it's 233 births out of 1000 girls in that age bracket... but yeah it's still pretty disturbing to know that your daughter/sister/whatever would have about a 25% of having a kid before they turn 18-19.

~Sol

• And i tough i had kid too early for my taste... ok i was 24 but still..

13 years old...I'm sorry to be rude but its not because you can f*ck that you should be allowed to reproduce yourself.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)