The Official Introduce Yourself Thread

• My name's Tony, and I'm an intermediate-level software dev from Bakersfield, CA.

I started scripting stuff in 1994, starting with characters for a DOS port of Street Fighter II; followed by the DWI simfiles popularly used now in Stepmania (up through DDR EXTREME's/Ultramix 2)... and as a design assistant on phr00t's proc-gen Metroid game, Gentrieve.

My main, long-term goal in game design however, has been to make "a game about gamers and gaming itself." Some kind of whole-hearted, cohesive experience that takes all the joys we have with our different kinds of gaming, and mashes it all into a single experience that feels "complete;" but still gives the player the freedom to play the way they want. And for the longest of times, there was no real examples of how to pull that off, and then I discovered Spelunky, Terraria, and The Binding of Isaac (this was about 4 years ago).

Since then, both my player side and my designer side has been very PGC-esque, but in a way that uses some core substance, rather than just mashing some random elements and hoping it works... but finding people really operating on that level has been quite challenging. And as more of a twitch/action gamer than the turn-based strategic boardgamer, I *know* I need more perspective on "fun" than just my own - and especially as someone that usually prefers single-player or two-player stuff.

What do I have so far?

-5/6 different kinds of "level/world generation" designs - one of them totally free-balling while others are more structured.

-20-25 character designs that mishmash between popular protagonists, MegaMan bosses, and SF/KoF personalities and fighting styles.

-A simple animation-script based... "thing" ...that can animate almost everything in under 100 frames per character; and the layouts thereof. I just have to get around to actually drawing the things.

-5 "vehicle classes" that for now, tie to the characters, and a way to make them interestingly competitive while taking some radically different approaches.

-A dozen or so "zones" based on Sonic the Hedgehog/MegaMan settings and level design... and maybe Zelda/Spiral Knights style mechanics, for that kind of thing too. But none of the art direction in making those areas yet! ;_;

-WIP/(paper)docs on a "dynamic music generator" based on actual music theory/styles, scales/ranges, and even dance charts!

What do I need?

-To finish art assets, the DMG (dynamic music generator), a few more interesting "widgets" for making top-down-adventure games interesting and thematic, a bit of practice with the code... a LOT of practice... with the code... and some overarching metagame. Should it be "players playing games?" Actors acting parts? Character-oriented with "different gamestyles of quests?" Should it just grind forever, or not level at all and remain pretty forward and balanced? Should there be seeded content for intentional replays/competitions? Should I tie things like fighting game mechanics to things other than the fighting games?

There's a lot of experimenting left to this idea too, clearly.

• Hi all,

By this moment i'm just a hardworker and i try to learn this impressive tool every day after work... nothing more to say. Best regards!

• Hi,

My name is Ricardo, Im new on all of this stuff and Im here for learn some construct 2 skills.

Cya

• hi I'm voidedhen . I have been wanting to make a game for a wile and found this and decided to give it a go if any one would like to help I would be honed and I would most likely return the favor if it is within my abilities. Any way wish me luck

• Hello, Lucas Torquato here. I am using this on a school project. Nice to meet everyone

• Olá pessoal

• Olá pessoal

• estou tentando essa coisa mais não entendo nada

• [quote:3jcdyjzf]THIS IS THE BEST POST EVER!

/u]

WARNING:This Blogger is extremely Annoying and will post...EVERYTHING GAMING.

I am a Beta Tester for many Companies and I enjoy making Games and it turns out that Gearbox Software actually reffered me to this site and I thought I would give it a little Hello and instead of Giving a Speech i'm Typing some Crap! Soooo.

THE END!

• Hi, my name is Adrian and I always have wanted to make a videogame. I have a programming background, so I hope I won't find many troubles (crossing fingers here).

kind regards

A.

• Hi all

• Howdy folks. Just installing now. Hoping to make a unique 2d platform racing game. I have no doubt I'm going to need lots of help as I'm new to all this.

• Hello to all, my name is Tony and I'm from Naples, Italy.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • NoveltySoft is dedicated to fostering creativity and excellence throughout our global teams of developers. We are committed to developing on the cutting edge of human interface applications and software automation. We are a motivated team of talented and focused software developers, graphic artists, project managers and motivated towards driving ongoing innovation. Our executive team combines technological expertise with deep knowledge of the global marketplace solutions with a clear vision of the future. We hire and focus our organization to continue to push human interface technology to new heights of creativity and innovation.

I am the President and CEO of NoveltySoft, in which we founded in September 2008. Prior to NS I served as Senior software engineer and General Manager of DidYou.com up until our acquisition of the US Development arm in October 2010. I also served as Senior Software Engineer prior to NS at MB. I am currently seeking partnerships with global firms to expand our team and continue to grow the organization both organically and by acquisition of good portfolios of clients. Our team is comprised of many talented developers, designers and project managers. I currently still work very closely with our team members to ensure the most up to date programming is applied to our clients projects and that we keep the innovation alive in human interface technologies. I am very interested in both hiring senior level developers and possibly developing your next application or Idea. Please feel free to contact me directly for all your questions.

• Howdy! I've just recently started using Construct 2. I've known that it was good for developing HTML5 apps, but I see now it also has iOS, Android and desktop functionality. Pretty impressive to say the least!

I come from an ActionScript 3.0 and C# background; In terms of ease of use game making programs I've used Clickteams Multimedia Fusion Developer program for ages.

I've decided to take a look at C2 because I've been looking for a better/cheaper alternative than paying 200+ dollars for the iOS, Android, and HTML5 extensions for Fusion Developer. Compared to the 130 dollar price tag of C2 it seems like a much better deal.

If anybody could direct me to any resources with Plug Ins for C2 I'd appreciate it.

Also does anybody have any comparisions between C2 and MMF2? Which do you like best and why? What advantages does Construct 2 have?

I'd appreciate the help, Thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 8 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 8 guests)