Realistic Assets in 2D games?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
2D realistic cloud pack has 11 different clouds included.
  • Saw this interesting video:

Is this of interest in 2D games also? And if so, would anyone dare to try it, or do you think it's beyond your capabilities (time-wise)?

• Here are example images of a 2D game using photorealistic assets:

http://www.realworldracing.com/perch/resources/rwr_shot_03-1-w1280h720.jpg

http://www.realworldracing.com/perch/resources/rwr_shot_19-1-w1280h720.jpg

http://www.realworldracing.com/perch/resources/rwr_shot_01-1-w1280h720.jpg

Don't be shy

Tell me your opinions about such efforts and expenses. Worth it in a 2D game?

• It is definitely interesting, but I think it is super difficult to implement in a way that will actually give a better gaming experience.

The main problem, is that realistic images, tend to have very similar contrast and tone. The images in your second post shows it quite well. As for a gamer, this pose two issues, first, it is very hard to distinguish between certain objects. And second, due to similar contrast and having to concentrate more, the eyes get tired much more faster than they normally would, which would result in the player spending less time playing the game.

3D games can do this because they have a 3rd perspective that helps greatly to visualize the different objects, even if they look very similar. Of course, the use of fog, shadow and Ambiance Occlusion helps a tonne. But with 2d games, it becomes almost impossible to balance between Realism vs making the game visually easy to understand. I think that is why nowadays, many prefer mixing them. Using realistic textures, shadows and rendering, but on a non realistic color (a vibrant color almost always). If you watch most of the 3D animated movies, series and games, you will notice that many of them prefer using this. You get a sense of realism, but the vibrant colors makes it visually attractive.

......well that's just my humble view.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Huh, always wondered how they get such realism in 3d games.

I could imagine it would fit some 2D games, the question is how do you make the assets workable (size\memory wise) how would that work with C2.

• It's an interesting challenge, but I don't know if photogrammetry is really feasible for the kind of products (and developers) Construct 2 is aimed at.

• I guess it would be interesting for some games (not all of course), and I think for a time, some people actually tried that with old games, I do not have a clear opinion, but I would say a 2D virtual space to represent a 3 dimensionnal reality, while possible (some 3D games actually use only a 2D plane of logic, while a 2D game can use a 3D space of logic), is maybe not as easy and could cost more time to get the lights and effects working not only in a "good looking" manner, but a realistic one.

• Like it has been stated, I think the idea is awesome, it just doesn't feel like photo realism should be the goal for every game.

The idea itself is something useful though, as the games it would work great with would really work wonders with it.

On the topic of being an interest of 2d games, I think it would be a bit "limited" in terms of potential. There are cases (as in your example images) where it would work, but the restriction of a Z axis doesn't seem to help with the photo realism concept too well. At the end of the day, it's still a flat work and a huge amount of effort can be lost simply because of a 2d gaming concept. Again, this can mostly depend on how creative you choose to be with your concept, but for a novice or even an intermediate developer, I wouldn't suggest going too far with it.

Finally, although it has been stated already, I will also agree with construct 2 simply not "feeling" ready for something this large. The frame rate could get extremely large on your size of the game, and construct 2 may simply not be able to work with that much. It may be a nice idea for the future though, but for now, it seems very difficult if possible at all.

• lol, use google maps as background for a top down...anything. Tower defence/racing ect...in your neighborhood.

A fps using streetview with enemy models and destruction overlays.

• Yes it is possible. They (your Youtube-Example) use 3D Models as destination. 3D programs can render things in 2D and isometric ("fake 3D"). My "dark power isometric project" (Work in progress forum) has a realistic touch.

I'm owner of a construct 2 personal licence but because of lighting, shadows, animation, physik and visual effects i bought a 3D game engine. I think that they could solve everything in isometric, but it is very complicated, needs a lot of time and is expensive to get "realistic" results.

• I remember when the first Mortal Combat was seen as "photo-realistic". Coolspot was also a pretty realistic game if I remember.

The comparison between realistic and "stylized" graphic has always be on. It's pretty much up to the player taste and up to the type of game.

But I think it's like a book and a comic strip. I could lost myself in a realistic MMO for hours, but to play Timberman with realistic graphic wouldn't be really necessary.

Concerning 2D games, the realistic approach has to serve something or it will look like a poor graphic choice, used because you couldn't create nice asset so you took pictures... (see the Mortal Combat example above).

• Well, if it were just about using pictures, I wouldn't have asked. No, I meant, if it would be worth the effort to do, what is described in the video (and used in the game that I referenced). Creating 3D-assets with that technique, that are then "baked" (I think that's the term used for it), and made into 2D-sprites/objects, including normalmaps or similar to create an interactive response to lighting/shadowing, etc.

I was wondering, because my first thought was: "I would never be brave enough to face that challenge." It seems to just take too much time, not to speak about the money to be invested in software/manpower, etc.

• Blender tutorial: How to Create a City, Covered with Fog (YouTube)

You can do a racing game on a real map but i think it is a lot of work because of collison detection. Fly above is easier. You can render it out with shadows...

Isometric racer with shadows on the ground. Shadows overlapping cars, how it works i don't know. Q3D for C2 would solve shadows problems.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)