Office Pixel Art

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Everything you need to make a top-down office scene. 16px x 16px tile map and office sprites. 100% royalty free to use.
  • I like the first one. Also, I really like the other characters in the same style

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I like the first one. Also, I really like the other characters in the same style

Thanks!

Honestly, any type of compliments are motivating at this point. Just a few months ago I was creating things like this: (literally, from 1/26/16)

Just wanted to share that in case anyone else reads this that likes art but doesn't think they are good at it - just keep learning and practicing. I don't think I'm awesome or anything but I went from loathing the art I made to being happy with it in a fairly short time. You can do it!

• I like the 16-bit look for the pixelated smaller sprite also but the bigger sprite has a good look too (kind of modern like a Gen IV Pokemon game). I would add that I think the bigger sprite's walk cycle looks better.

I am completely new to game art as well and I just finished a month+ pixel-art-per-day challenge. I learned a lot but I can't say I'm quite there yet. All that said, there are a bunch of good tutorials online and I really got a lot out of this walk cycle animation tutorial. Check it out.

manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php

• I like the 16-bit look for the pixelated smaller sprite also but the bigger sprite has a good look too (kind of modern like a Gen IV Pokemon game). I would add that I think the bigger sprite's walk cycle looks better.

I am completely new to game art as well and I just finished a month+ pixel-art-per-day challenge. I learned a lot but I can't say I'm quite there yet. All that said, there are a bunch of good tutorials online and I really got a lot out of this walk cycle animation tutorial. Check it out.

http://manningkrull.com/pixel-art/walking.php

Thank you for your comments. Which walk cycle(s) specifically do you think need improvement?

That is actually the animation tutorial I found most useful as well. I just haven't spent enough time revising the sideways walk cycle and plan on it. I want to keep at 2 frames for now as am planning on having a lot of sprites for NPCs. Though maybe later I will make main character have more frames per animation. Like I mentioned in previous post I am happy with the walking down animation though - I modeled it after taking a look at Earthbound for SNES sprites.

Do you have a link for the pixel art challenge or is that something you did on your own? I have a lot to learn still. I am happy with these sprites at the moment but am struggling with making their environment (indoor/office floor tiles, desks, chairs, computers, coffee machines, copy machines, etc.)

• Thank you for your comments. Which walk cycle(s) specifically do you think need improvement?

That is actually the animation tutorial I found most useful as well. I just haven't spent enough time revising the sideways walk cycle and plan on it. I want to keep at 2 frames for now as am planning on having a lot of sprites for NPCs. Though maybe later I will make main character have more frames per animation. Like I mentioned in previous post I am happy with the walking down animation though - I modeled it after taking a look at Earthbound for SNES sprites.

Do you have a link for the pixel art challenge or is that something you did on your own? I have a lot to learn still. I am happy with these sprites at the moment but am struggling with making their environment (indoor/office floor tiles, desks, chairs, computers, coffee machines, copy machines, etc.)

Well, I'm a noob as well, so please take my CC with a grain of salt. My initial impression was that the left-right cycle and the upwards cycle have opposite problems. On the sideways cycle the arm closer to the viewer doesn't seem to swing enough. In the upward cycle it seems that the arms swing out too much- the hands seem to get too far away from the torso. Again, I'm just a random due so please don't take this as harsh- I like what you've got. When I first looked at the sprites the Earthbound style with those circular cartoon-friendly heads definitely showed through.

As for a place to practice your pixel art- I was publishing on twitter a lot. The account posts a new theme for people to draw every day and I just published to the spec every day. There is a good community of content creators on there. You can also submit to the pixelart subreddit and I've gotten some helpful and positive feedback from there.

One last note- I know you've been getting a lot of pressure to amp up from these 2 image cycles but I get it. To make a game look good you need hundreds of images with a unified artistic style. Putting in the time to make diverse background imagery and set pieces will probably pay off more in the long run. And hey- If you get completely obsessed and can't stop up dating the game you can go back and move up to 4 image cycles later on down the line.

• Meet Tom:

Ah! Tom got bit!

My first attempt today of making one of these guys into a zombie . . . even though wasn't making them for a zombie game

• MinkDingus, thanks for the tip on the daily pixel art challenge. Been busy for a while but I started following them a couple days ago and just got done with one. Should help motivate me to practice as I never really know what to practice on. Also helps as its just for fun - no pressure to make it perfect for a game.

EDIT: here's a better one I've done recently, Cheese Nightmare, for Pixel_Dailies challenge of #cheese

(twitter handle LouBagelCombo5)

• Top one,

You just can't beat pixle art!

• Update since people are still voting: Definitely went with the smaller/first, more pixelated one.

Now I'm actually considering whether I want the black outlines or not. I think I do, but I've had some instances where I like them without.

Here are a few that I quickly removed some outlines (would still need some touch ups)

Also, I think image size and background would be a big determining factor, but I probably will go with the outlined ones:

• I'd agree that the outlined ones look better on average, but as you said, it would be worth checking them on different background and at different sizes to confirm that.

• Hi there badmoodtaylor,

I can only give an opinion as a gamer and would say that I personally prefer the sprites on the smaller character. He seems livelier when he moves, reacts instantly when hitting a direction and looks slightly happier about life than the larger character.

Also, the larger character doesn't start moving his legs until you've held the cursor for a while unless you walk up or downwards. While walking downwards, I keep feeling the larger guy is trying to kick me in the nuts. The height of his "kicking" feet feels good moving left and right.

The smaller guy responds with an animation quickly when inputting a direction (except leftwards), making it easier to move him closer to the edge if would need to make a crazy, tight long jump, similarly to those old NES platform games.

Other than that, I really like the design of your characters. For some reason I thought I was going to soon be playing a game with the characters from the TV-series the Office

• Haha, thank you for the response. Your detailed analysis is helpful and parts made me chuckle.

Especially this:

While walking downwards, I keep feeling the larger guy is trying to kick me in the nuts. The height of his "kicking" feet feels good moving left and right.

If you read more of this post I have already decided to go with the first one. I guess I should update the initial post to say that. I haven't been working on this lately so keep forgetting.

Other than that, I really like the design of your characters. For some reason I thought I was going to soon be playing a game with the characters from the TV-series the Office

Thank you and I do love The Office tv show and work in an office, not to mention love the movie Office Space as well, so I do want to make games with some office-humor.

I have been working on a practice project similar to Zelda (can see and link in signature - playable) but have been itching to get back to this and around to making some more office themed pixel art. Want to get their environment next: desks, computers, copy machines, break room with table, chairs, microwave, coffee pot - the whole shebang-bang.

First draft of office worker drinking coffee I did just a couple days ago:

(think I need to make his ears move as well as shift the head outline and tilt the cup)

• Haha, thank you for the response. Your detailed analysis is helpful and parts made me chuckle.

If you read more of this post I have already decided to go with the first one. I guess I should update the initial post to say that. I haven't been working on this lately so keep forgetting.

Yeah, I did actually read that you decided to go with the small character but wanted to just share my thoughts after testing them out

Awesome to hear that you're a major fan of The Office as well as Office Space. Makes me smile knowing that there will be a potential office themed game of some sorts in the near future. I'm still smiling, hehe.

The coffee drinking office worker looks great. Is he perhaps one of your colleagues? Like you said, right now it may look as though he is wearing the hood part of an eskimo coat, haha.

I have been working on a practice project similar to Zelda (can see and link in signature - playable)

When I have time I will have a go at your Zelda inspired game. Did you read the reviews of Mighty Number 9, the spiritual "Megaman/Rockman" style game made by the same creator? Many people complained about the "fun" element missing. Good thing you seem to have your mind set on that aspect when creating your Zelda inspired project

• Quick post to show some of these peeps in action

• Dang, your pixel skills are really coming on.

I have to ask, what do you use to make your gifs? I've tried a number of solutions and have yet to find anything that comes out the way I want.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)