Not using CS 0.X anymore for big projects.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Take the size on file of one frame that is 16x16, and multiply that by 120.

Your looking at 15+megs, and your trying to do 320 frames

That's just not doable, on any hardware accelerated system.

The pipeline just will not handle loading all of that all at once.

Edit:

Yeah what he said.

Also wasn't Rayman originally a bones type of animation anyways?

• Oh ok then.The master has spoken the thread can be closed now Before it sparks up a flame war again.I said what i had to say.I will be using an app which ive grown up with since the good ol days until cs2 arrives.MMF2 here i come lol.

• Perhaps if you would type a little more carefully I wouldn't have misunderstood you.

Anyway. "For one character with all the moves etc 1250 frames thats per character.So 120 frames for swimming 60 frames for diving 320 frames for morphing the character etc..And then theres water animations,Grass animations , environment anims.Starting to see the picture now?."

What I see is your skyrocketing VRAM usage and redundant amount of animation frames. that's about it. I don't believe things will be much different in MMF.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey at least i know the limits of mmf2 so me or the app screwing up the codes or anims won't be such a problem.Come here my beloved MMF2 daddy missed you alot lmao

• err wow. How old are you DravenX. I ask because not only are you incredibly impolite, you resort to childish baiting when you don't get your own way. I'm not trying to pick sides, but at least try to be pleasant.

• Its not the animations ,i toned them down all the way and still i get the dreaded memory id block error which CS chucks at me.And the collisions switches off randomly and the games goes out without any notice.And when the character respawns it loses its collisions or freezes up.this after i toned down all those frames.Some events wont even play on the next layout even though it worked perfectly on the previous layout.

Well at least it runs at 60fps and not at 15 fps anymore lol.

• [quote:64xcpbem]err wow. How old are you DravenX. I ask because not only are you incredibly impolite, you resort to childish baiting when you don't get your own way. I'm not trying to pick sides, but at least try to be pleasant.

Hey hey sorry about that man i can be so impolite and rude sometimes.Childish baiting? where? show me please.Oh you mean about the whole MMF thing.My bad sorry for trying to crack a joke.Damn i suck at jokes lol.

• Its not the animations ,i toned them down all the way and still i get the dreaded memory id block error which CS chucks at me.And the collisions switches off randomly and the games goes out without any notice.And when the character respawns it loses its collisions or freezes up.this after i toned down all those frames.Some events wont even play on the next layout even though it worked perfectly on the previous layout.

Well at least it runs at 60fps and not at 15 fps anymore lol.

you should post these types of problems at help/tech support. there may be people who have had some of the same problems in the past, or can help you troubleshoot them. Also posting bug reports is a good way to get individual bugs fixed, once you can confirm it's a bug and narrow down what causes it to happen. there are still bugs being fixed in every new version. This is the bugfix todo list.

• Yes i really should post errors and problems there.The problem is that these things happen randomly ie one day the game works the way it should and the next day it throws out errors and freezes up etc...Isn't there a way to create some log file when a problem occurs??.

• nope, just gotta figure it out when you first come to it. narrow it down to the exact cause before your game gets too big or then you have bugs everywhere.

• Image removed, Tom. If this is real, please make a new thread

• Let's keep this thread civil. DravenX, I understand your frustration. Trying to make a large project in construct without knowing what to avoid is at times exasperating, especially with crashes that happen only sometimes.

That said, I also have to disagree. My game has hundreds of objects, is approaching 10,000 events (5000 in one sheet), and has lots of animation. Construct CAN handle it - IF you're very, very careful with it.

Construct 0.x can be best described as kind of delicate. Making a large project with it requires a lot of knowledge of it's quirks and bugs to avoid - variable bugs, or, the memory leak in the image editor, pasting between .caps, etc. Frustratingly, some things aren't obvious, and they may seem to work but turn out to cause crashes later. These things can be worked around, it just requires a lot of knowledge and understanding of construct's rickety areas, and a willingness to quit and ditch your previous hour/day's work if you discover some new quirk when construct does something unusual to be on the safe side.

However, as we all understand, that should not be required of construct's users, hence C2.

DravenX, a couple ideas - are you using 'or' anywhere, or when toggling events off with subevents, if those events have any child events that were toggled, toggling the parent event toggles the child events back on, causing crazy behavior.

Try to find where in the code the problem is. What events are running when it happens? Deactivate code in bits on the crashing sheet as you work on other areas as you try to uncover the problem.

• Maybe someone could write a tutorial on what to avoid when writing a big project ?.That would be very helpful indeed.Im scaling down on the events and animations now and it seems to work now.But most of the games features where lost in doing that:(.Thank's Lucid and Arima for the Advice.

• Some people seem to be getting unnecessarily passionate about their point of view - so I'm going to lock this - but I will add two things: one, we know 0.x isn't perfect. There are problems, but they should all be fixed in C2. Secondly, I wouldn't get the impression your other options are perfect in this regard either - lots of alternatives have well-known bugs as well, and some also suffer when running large projects. I don't think you're going to have a flawless ride with any program (although we are trying to build C2 to that standard). Still, you're welcome to switch to alternatives at any time, nobody's stopping you! I'd hope you come back to check out C2 when it's a bit further along, though.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)