nintendisney

0 favourites
  • [quote:93b2fc6l] I think it was at this point that the innovation started to ebb, and formulaic game design started to show, closely followed by the gimmicky Wii.

It's only Nintendo doing this? Personally I think most companies in the commercial area are doing this. If you didn't notice PS3 and Xbox are both trying to incorperate the wii's "gimmicks" for themselves to further expand their audience.

[quote:93b2fc6l]genuinely don't like what the Wii is doing to the gaming industry

Oh no! They're adding motion controls! They're being experimental! At least they're daring enough to make the bold steps first for what most likely will continue to be improved in the ages to come.

• ...Kylie Minogue.... and you'd like to have a few goes to see it first hand, but you wouldn't want to take it home and see it every day.

Sponge.

Say's who?? I'd take it home, have a few more than a few goes first hand, and lock it in the closest until tomorrow!

~Sol

• honestly, im starting to hate the oversaturation of the gaming market with shit, and FPS's which are good and all, but just are just the same old hat stuff. i mean i can understand FPS's with online are fun, but i currently own 3 fps's, and 2 3rd person shooters, and that sickens me. this is the first time, EVER on a console that i own more than 2 shooters. it used to be that i had a console to play games like banjo kazooie, or mario 64 and stuff like that. but now most of the games like that suck. its not nostalgia, i know that much because i just recently started playing NES games, which i used to avoid and are enjoying them much more than and console game. i never owned a NES and i can say i enjoy playing megaman over gears of war, or COD4.

it just seems to me as the years go by, the # of enjoyable games for each system goes down. the market is way too big nowadays. everyones doing the same thing.

Nintendo all went downhill since the wind waker, and since Rare was bought.

i guess all of this is why im into indy games now. they bring any style, from any generation and all of the stuff feels completely brand new, or like the stuff i used to enjoy as a kid.now i wanna start seeing n64 generation esque games being made. theres a strange gap in 3d games being made. everyone feels they all have to be amazing looking and not focus on game play or design. the N64 zelda games did a great job of makin that ugly polygonal world feel real and full of life, now 3d games look real, and feel dead.

wtv thats my rant on games. all i really need is a snes controller i can attach to my comp, and SDTV-PC hookup and i can get all the advantages of a console

• [quote:3j0qlbdb] I think it was at this point that the innovation started to ebb, and formulaic game design started to show, closely followed by the gimmicky Wii.

It's only Nintendo doing this? Personally I think most companies in the commercial area are doing this. If you didn't notice PS3 and Xbox are both trying to incorperate the wii's "gimmicks" for themselves to further expand their audience.

yes, alot of companies in the commercial area are doing this, but not to beat a dead horse, but littlebig again, spore, team fortress 2, left4dead, okami all come to mind as different enough not to be purely formulaic. and the fact that wii has motion controllers isn't the problem. it's the fact that every wii game uses those controllers as an excuse not to have a real game underneath. raving rabids came out for pc for some reason, and playing it with the mouse shows how much it's not even a game, using motion controls to enhance a game is one thing, reducing your game to nothing but a motion controller tech demo is a whole different thing.

btw, when I first tried the wii, I was blown away with the amount of disappointment that could be experienced in a single moment. what the wii controller should have been is what the ps3 motion controller is. you can swing a sword, and have your character swing it the same exact way. that's what I thought zelda would be like. that's what the wiimote should have been, instead, swinging the controller is the equivalent of pressing a button. it's completely lame, to put it simply. and the wiimote motion plus, is going to be like the ps3 motion controller, except with lag, which while a huge improvement, is still pretty lame. and btw, project natal is lightyears beyond the wiimote.

[quote:3j0qlbdb][quote:3j0qlbdb]genuinely don't like what the Wii is doing to the gaming industry

Oh no! They're adding motion controls! They're being experimental! At least they're daring enough to make the bold steps first for what most likely will continue to be improved in the ages to come.

adding motion controls is very cool and experimental, if they had done it right. they didn't, but let's just pretend they had. using motion controls as a coverup for shallow games is lame. imagine wii sports with a regular controller, because once again, when you swing a remote, you're basically just pressing a button. imagine wii sports tennis. you press a button when the ball gets close. uh....not fun. at least in pong you got to move your paddle

yeah, that's why I'm glad controllers and console style games are starting to come to pcs

and also why I bought a ps3 instead of a 360, all the killer app for 360 are fps's, and while the ps3 isn't much better, the exclusives for the most part are not fps's

I'm really looking forward to the motion controllers for both systems, and if they use the Natal to the fullest, I will probably buy an xbox360 as well

• It's only Nintendo doing this?

Don't remember anyone saying it was only Nintendo doing this.

The problem is that they sacrificed next-gen graphic capabilities for "advanced" and "ground-breaking" controllers.

IMO, it's really not worth the inflated price just for the controllers.

I guess what I'm really saying is that I preferred it when Nintendo poured their creativity into the games they made, rather than the medium they were played on.

They've created (IMO) a poor console with gimmicks and made it the best selling console of the day.

Now tell me, how many software companies are going to go out on a limb and try something different, when the money is in dumbing down and shortening the games to meet with their target audiences tastes.

I find it ironic that Nintendo, the company that led the way with innovative games for years, are now probably responsible for more companies making "safe" and "profitable" games because of the Wii.

And you're right.

Microsoft and Sony are following the trend (see, "safe"), and that's the problem I was talking about.

I'm not saying Nintendo are the devil incarnate.

They're just a shadow of what they were, although I'm sure their shareholders couldn't give a flying fig for minor details like that.

LOL@SoldjahBoy

Sponge.

• Another reason why games quality is falling, is because now days most of devs in the industries are going by the book or it's just their job. I had an oportuniety to meet matrix animation director, when he was buing game for his doughter. I asked him y he moved form usa to england, and he said he got a job as a animator director for nc-soft ( when it existed in brighton ). ok ok - let me giv u another example: you got money -> you got time -> you studieng game design at uni -> you're getting job in the industrie. ok ok , another one : paris hilton don;t know how to act and sing, and she's ugly but she perfomed in films and recorded solo album becasue she has shit loads of money. Money comes in - passion and will to be the best goes away. Tlentless people everywere in the industire. By lowering the cap, and social inteligance and perception, you can sale crap. Oh yeah, kurt cobain sang 'kids will buy everything what is packet properly' . yeah

hope is in youg passionats who fill that they can deliver.

• Actually to me the reasoning behind Nintendo is quite clear:

Last generation GameCube was the most advanced (before XBox came out anyway) gaming machine out there and it didn't get the sales the technically inferior PS2 continued to have.

Labs come up with dual screen "gameboy". Nintendo sells it as DS as to not tarnish the Gameboy brand if it fails (virtualboy!). Sells like hotcakes.

Nintendo has a look at labs again. What goes along these lines for home console? Wiimote with pointer and motion sensors. What do consoles lack that PC's have? pointer. What does DS have that gameboy didn't? pointer. What is the new thing being introduced? motion.

Can we do it as a Gamecube add-on? yes we can... but developers would have to support it. This usually means 2 to 3 titles TOTAL (look at eyetoy support on PS2) since 3rd parties don't count on customers having add-ons. Also, Gamecube never really took off.

Solution? bump the Gamecube hardware a bit (like DS is a bumped GBA) and make the new controller the default one. Make it cheap to expand (the connector at the base is pure genius, means no extra wireless hardware). Market motion controls heavily. Make the whole thing really cheap to regain market share lost with Gamecube.

ALSO: Most people pointed out the Gamecube looked too 'kiddy'. Take a page (or the whole book) from Apple, make it sexy.

Now, �is it 'gimmicky' ? those who say that now will soon change their tune, when Sony and Microsoft are singing the same song. (Natal, motion controls for PS3).

Me, i'm all up for innovation. I have a WHOLE BUNCH of ideas for motion control. Go play Metroid or Conduit on WII and you'll see the worth of the pointer. Motion also has it's advantages but they'll be a hard sell here so I'll just point out that I feel they've been badly used so far (mostly).

It just saddens me to see what ISN'T being done on Wii.

Anyway. I just purchased a controller to fool around with on PC get some experiments done.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ds is bumped up N64 technology not gba's.

• Also, DS is a great console. I agree that Wii may be gimmicky and cheap, but I have had A LOT of fun with my DS.

• I agree that Wii may be gimmicky and cheap

Cheap? its Gamecube 1.5! Seriously its almost the same.

• BTW i still got GC and i love it XD

• > I agree that Wii may be gimmicky and cheap

>

Cheap? its Gamecube 1.5! Seriously its almost the same.

Lol, exactly.

The Wii is nowhere near as cheap (price-wise) as it should be.

Gotta love the Gamecube.

Sponge.

• Ds is bumped up N64 technology not gba's.

I have a friend who does homebrew for DS.

You have the GBA API in there in its entiretiy. Same processor for one screen, a newer processor for the other screen. There are new modes and new functions for the new DS bits and you address each screen separately.

NDS does NOT have a Silicon Graphics in it.

EDIT: My point is: the fun you have with a console is related to the software in it, not the hardware that it runs. DS is *also* a small upgrade to existing hardware. Only devs have used it much more wisely than Wii's (still waiting for proper DS RTS tho)

What really hurts Wii's graphics is that it doesn't have shaders but a customisable(?) fixed function pipeline. Imagine you only had Construct's effects to do everything. You can mix and match but you can't write specific new effects.

Developers today are *really* used to shaders (and yeah they're sweet), thus they barely use effects on Wii. I'm sure we'll see a new version down the road with proper graphics and mature controls (including sticks, buttons, cross, motion and pointer)

• ... another metroid game - YES! :>

Metroid: Other M looks too melee to me , It seems it's like making Pokemon a First person shooter.

It just doesn't fit...

• It just doesn't fit...

Metroid was a sidescrolling platformer before it got the FPS treatment.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)