Making smaller games to test your big games!

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • I've thought about the replies I recieved from a recent topic of mine "Open World Game". I know what people will say that I will give up the game, but what if I still make that game, but I test the mechanics and such by making smaller games (some will be released, some may not). I'm making a game at this very minute called Thunderdome, that is testing some of the elements of combat in my big game. I was wondering what other people thought of this and is it a good idea?

• That sounds like a great idea. Another way to go about it might be to pick a small niche in the game and write a tutorial on it.

One crucial concept in computing is something called "Divide and Conquer", splitting large problems up into smaller ones, then tackling them one at a time. It sounds like this is what you are proposing which sounds very good.

• Very, very good idea. Personally I do the same thing, create small games with certain mechanics, and gradually introduce that into main project.

Also a good idea is making some small game like simple bird's-eye view shooter and gradually expand it with new elements. Starting from the big, advanced projects is pointless, because without the experience, you will always be faced problems that will discourage you to continue your project and finish them.

• That's the best way to go indeed

You should read this article :

http://www.indiegames.com/2009/12/opini ... n_dos.html

It's really full of exellent advices

Point 6 is the answer to your question

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I too think it's a good idea. I once built an open world game similar to yours, except in space. Personally, I had no idea about game design or construct and wasn't able to create anything like what I wanted.

Three months later, I came back to my project. Instead of taking it head on, I built a smaller game which had the combat mechanics, another one that simulated a universe as AI moved about and interacted with each other and countless others. I combined them together, and I had a fully functional game that actually worked well.

• This might not be a bad idea.

Just keep in mind that the first time you make your combat system it will very likely be flawed. You will get to about 50% complete and realize that there is an easier or more efficient way to do what you're doing. That's just part of learning. You may even stop and go back to change it, but don't spend too much time trying to fix it until it's "perfect" or you'll be fixing it forever. Just keep some notes on how you would do things differently for when it comes time to work on your major project.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)