I am in a rut

0 favourites
  • I'd like to point out that writing for a book is different than writing for a film and that is also different than writing for a videogame.

Things that work in one may not work in the other. For example, extended inner dialog works well in a book, but it becomes boring quickly in a movie, while it works in a game if it's not essential and it's done during an activity that is not too demanding (so the player can split his attention to both the task and dialogue).

As usual, all I can advise is to start small. Write a two page story GEARED TOWARDS GAMING (more doing, less contemplating and pondering), and then try to take it to completion.

I'm not much for big stories in games, but what I've seen that works is focusing on what is to be done and why. Don't stray too far into hypothetical future or ancestors or whatever, as it will be normally glossed over and forgotten, unless you're doing a big franchise, in which case you wouldn't be in here anyway

Having a backstory is nice, but you'll usually rely on it for better characterization. Resident Evil 5 does this well, serving "files" (text backstory) on each character, while the main game only shows the present and some hints of the past. This keeps things moving.

• Having a backstory is nice, but you'll usually rely on it for better characterization. Resident Evil 5 does this well, serving "files" (text backstory) on each character, while the main game only shows the present and some hints of the past. This keeps things moving.

Not to mention the Metroid Prime games use of scanning the environment, making requiring the background/exposition an actual game element. Although I did get a bit frustrated with it, not because it was implemented poorly or anything, just that I'd kick myself in the shins if I knowingly missed something.

• Although I did get a bit frustrated with it

And this is why it shouldn't be mandatory

Most of the backstory text in the Metroid Prime series is optional. You can ignore it by not scanning until you reach shiny things that are begging to be scanned.

• In regards to RPG making, it isn't all that hard. I'd says it's more tedious. However, if you commit yourself, you can make something better than in RPG Maker. Especially real-time RPG like Star Ocean or the Tales series. In fact, the Tales battle system is really a fighting system with rpg elements. You can event do air combs.=P

• In regards to RPG making, it isn't all that hard.

I disagree. And so do many others. It's hard because RPGs - even simple ones - are seriously complex, with a gazillion different parts that need to be programmed and work together. It's why my 'simple' RPG is approaching 8000 events.

Have you tried making an RPG without RPG maker? I thought it would be easy, too. I think there's something about RPGs in particular that makes them seem easy to make

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have. It's easy in RPG Maker because all the Battle Algorithm is done for you and the basic needs for an RPG. However, the scripting system in the total sucks or the people making custom battle systems aren't doing them justice. The movement still fill stiff. Anyway, I'm in more Action-RPG, the Musashi.

• Ah, what an conversation my thread has begun. So much talk, so many good points and a good laugh on that 'something something and zombies' thing

My main goal still in this game is to make an interesting story and tell it in entertaining way, and that's where the gameplay and plot connects. If you have played the marvelous creation Mother 3, you know what I'm after. A story that will make you laugh, question and in some cases, cry. Oh, how many tears were shed during that game. It was so pure. It didn't force anything, and it really made you live a life in a very odd but lovable world, where everything is still realistic in their own way. It's like a life of very young child. You watch, you explore, interact and experience. Everything is new, and when growing up (progress in game), you also experience even small things that can affect your entire life. Small or enormous things, it does not matter to a child. And if player is truly sucked into the game's world, they truly feel for their characters in every aspect.

.... LOOK AT ME RAMBLING. Nab dammit dangit, I can never write a simple short post :C

• This may not be useful for you any more since it looks like you decided on an rpg-ish genre, but if you're still thinking about doing a story game with lots of text and choices, there is this nifty program for it:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Home_Page

It is also pretty flexible for adding certain kinds of gameplay, but if you want a lot of that, it's probably easier to go elsewhere.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)