Heh a new project wants 1 mill in Kickstarter

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal

An old school RPG game project needs 1 million of dollars.

Maybe it's skyrim or world of warcraft clone in 2D and 8 bit graphics, it looks like a joke.

• 2.1 million, mobile support!

seriously...

• It's wrong to judge it only by it's goal value. The guys are seasoned developers, from what i saw, behind classics like D&D, Wizardry, Ultima etc. If the game has value enough and apeal to enough gamers, they could ask 20 mil. What's left is to know if it indeed has value enough to demand that sum :D

• Cool oldskool game by pro devs.Could be interresting.

• It's wrong to judge it only by it's goal value. The guys are seasoned developers, from what i saw, behind classics like D&D, Wizardry, Ultima etc. If the game has value enough and apeal to enough gamers, they could ask 20 mil. What's left is to know if it indeed has value enough to demand that sum :D

But it's about the brand which is known by the community, it's not about the good proposal.

• I'd give Tom Hall $1 million any day of the week, if I had them.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It seems to be on track to break the $1 million, $100k+ in just over 24 hours.

• I got to agree. You don't need 1 million dollars to make an oldschool RPG. Seems like a scam partially to me.

• Ha, Im sure they arent planning on using 2d graphics but I agree they are extremely vague about the actual details of the game.

Wizardry 8 is an 'old school' rpg in a 3d engine. Old school Rpgs normally have huge learning curves. I remember playing fallout 1 for the first time... I had no idea what the hell I was doing. After an hour or so I was figuring things out though and it was extremely satisfying.

These days it seems most people have next to no patience for games, they are used to playing games that hold your hand whether you like it or not. The games that are too hard or dont explain every detail risk being shunned immediately by this crowd. (I might have learned this lesson the hard way).

• Old school RPG?

Weren't some of those made by two people living in their parent's homes as hobbies aka. Homebrews.

• Ha, Im sure they arent planning on using 2d graphics but I agree they are extremely vague about the actual details of the game.

Wizardry 8 is an 'old school' rpg in a 3d engine. Old school Rpgs normally have huge learning curves. I remember playing fallout 1 for the first time... I had no idea what the hell I was doing. After an hour or so I was figuring things out though and it was extremely satisfying.

These days it seems most people have next to no patience for games, they are used to playing games that hold your hand whether you like it or not. The games that are too hard or dont explain every detail risk being shunned immediately by this crowd. (I might have learned this lesson the hard way).

Maybe Return of Daikatana

• Old school implies 2D in my opinion, but you are right their description of the game is very vague.

• It sounds stupid and way too much to ask 1000000$ for an "old school" RPG. Considering that the only thing they have right now is just words.

I don't like that they didn't break down how they would use the money and for what. They said that they will make two individual projects.

http://digitalbattle.com/2010/02/20/top-10-most-expensive-video-game-budgets-ever/

• Lets hope not :)

I took another look. This time they are wanting to get funding before even starting it seems. For all we know it could be completely text based. They really havent promised anything except for an old school rpg, lol.

It looks like they have (or are going to create) the games framework and have two seperate campaigns. That if you finish one you can port your old characters into the next.

You could be right Helladen , when I think of old school rpgs though what comes top mind is; tons of items, almost monotonous item management, deep character customisation (to the point that you are able to gimp your characters if you make the wrong choices), heavy storylines, long interactions with dialogue choices.

With any luck it will be an awesome game(s), we will have to wait and see.

• One of the main things I regularly look for when backing a project is clarity in what the project is. When you enter a contract, it is a good idea for both parties to know the terms for what each side wants.

I don't need a game to be 80% done when it launches on Kickstarter. I'm often fine with seeing screenshot mockups because a good mockup shows the effort, thoughts and direction of the game designer have already taken some ordered form.

Project Eternity from Obsidian has been doing a good job with their project updates giving more specifics after also being vague at their launch. I expect this campaign to start filling in some information gaps that way too.

I'll be quoting this project's main page for what clarified some things a bit for me.

"Pen & Paper RPG ($60 Reward Tier): Gather around a table and enjoy playing Old School RPG the seriously, really old school way."

If there is a pen&paper version an assumption is that the video game's mechanics will play like a standard one with maybe a twist or two. That makes sense considering the experience the project creators has with pen&paper RPGs. If it is some innovative new system that works well both in video games and pen&paper (probably not) then it might still be an interesting development.

"You gain exclusive access to our forums where Tom and Brenda will chronicle every phase of the game�s development and invite your feedback into the game�s design. You vote on design decisions when the team needs your input."

It seems they want the backers to help define what the game, somewhat like Double Fine's backer feedback approach. One thing I liked better about Double Fine's project was that the point was raised that if things did go horribly wrong it would likely still be entertaining enough to be worth backing.

It is hard to critique the $1million goal when the scope of the game isn't said, but that amount should be enough to make a game with production values higher than many indie games but not enough to expect an AAA production.

"We have never taken VC or angel funding and have resisted two buyout offers so we could stay this way."

They did say they haven't sought help from venture capitalists so they had to pay the bills somehow even if that means making... Pettington Park (It is on their blog). The reason that Loot Drop may have chosen Kickstarter is that while casual games pay the bills they don't fully satisfy the needs of staff that would rather be making a hardcore RPG they can have pride in.

As GenkiGenga said, the developers could suddenly announce this game is text-based. I still backed it because of the creator's backstories, but I feel more uneasy about this campaign than I often do. I've seen many campaigns and from my perspective it was not done up to par with other high profile projects. Some things don't seem to be fully thought out, such as what if most backers want one game with both designers' full efforts rather than the two games stretch goal splitting the designers' efforts apart. I prefer to think it was just rushed rather than an attempt to scam backers.

On a tangent, Kickstarter posts have been appearing frequently enough here that it might be more organized to have one main Kickstarter news/launches thread in Open Topic. The large Kickstarter threads on the Good Old Games forum (thread has 104 pages and growing) and NeoGAF are good examples.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)