GMArcade ~ The Friendly Indie Game Host & Community

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
These recognizable, fun-filled and simple music loops are a great asset for fast prototyping and ready for use.
  • Hello Construct Programmers,

My name is Matt, and I am actually a web developer and Game Maker programmer.

When I found out that I wasn't too talented at graphical design for video games, I decided to start an online game host and community devoted to Indie games and Indie programmers.

The result was GMArcade.com. GMArcade was, at first, only devoted to Game Maker games and programmers. But I am looking to expand it's reach to unite Indie developers from several different programming fields. Currently we are still mostly Game Maker developers, but we are beginning to get some PyGame users, as well as FreeBasic, and OHRRPGCE.

GMArcade.com provides you with a means to upload and share your games. Our Play Game Online technology is new and improved, allowing all of your games to be played online without saving and keeping them on your computer. We have also revamped our layout, and added various AJAX items such as a new Menu and Navigation, and AJAX game browsers in the category pages.

We have also introduced the new GMArcade Coins system in which users can earn coins be becoming active on GMArcade. The user(s) at the end of the month that have been the most active and helpful earn completely free advertising at the top of every page on GMArcade. You can also trade Coins for services, and buy things at the GMArcade Coin Stores. You can earn coins by: uploading your games, having people play your games, posting in the forums, replying and commenting to forum posts, commenting on games, and even by starting your very own blog on our site!

I would love to see Construct programmers come to GMArcade and upload their games, and even stay and hang out at our forums.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here, or on GMArcade.

Thank you very much for your time,

Matt the Admin from GMArcade.com

• Hey guys, I know the post above seems sorta spammy, but I frequent that site and the community is nice, though not nearly as nice as this one

It is a pretty good host too.

• Sounds interesting. How does your 'Play game online' thing really work? Construct has no online plugin, just export to EXE, which as far as I can think, means downloading the game before you play.

• Sounds interesting. How does your 'Play game online' thing really work? Construct has no online plugin, just export to EXE, which as far as I can think, means downloading the game before you play.

Well, here's how the Java Play Game Online works:

1. Java downloads your game's .zip file to a temporary directory.

2. Java unzips your game and deletes the .zip file.

3. Java runs your game.

4. Java waits for your game to end.

5. Java copys any files that start with GMASAVE or end with .sav to a permanent directory.

6. Java deletes all the files for your game.

Basically it's the same as downloading, except the game doesn't stay on your computer, and there is no hassle, just one click.

There's a browser plugin you have to install to play GM games in a browser window. I've tried it out on the Yoyo Games site, but it takes forever to load, better to just download the game and run it locally in my opinion.

Whoops, looks like I just missed you deadeye. You do not have to download mine. You just have to have Java installed. Any computer that has Java will work with mine without any download.

• Ah, you caught me. Looks like I didn't delete my post quick enough

Anyway, yeah... I'd just assumed it was the same as the Yoyo Games site, but I guess not.

• Ah, you caught me. Looks like I didn't delete my post quick enough

Anyway, yeah... I'd just assumed it was the same as the Yoyo Games site, but I guess not.

I'm more of a friendly programmer than YoYo. They leave the files on your system, require you to download their plugin, ect. I just want it to work right off the bat

• ah thats actually a really cool idea! I'll check it out when i've got something to upload.

• ah thats actually a really cool idea! I'll check it out when i've got something to upload.

Thanks alee Feel free to just come and hang out too if you want. Were always looking for more opinions and ideas for the site.

• Ah, cool, so play 'online' works for standalone EXE games too. Nice

• Ah, cool, so play 'online' works for standalone EXE games too. Nice

Yup I thought it would be a good way to get out the word on indie games. People are more likely to play things when they're online.

• People are more likely to play things when they're online.

...really? I must be a weirdo then

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > People are more likely to play things when they're online.

>

...really? I must be a weirdo then

Lol, casual gamers are more likely to play things when they're online

• Hey, that's actually pretty cool.

It doesn't seem to work on Opera, though. Java does work on Opera, not sure why your applet doesn't.

What's the difference between downloading a ZIP file and opening the standalone EXE vs. playing the game on your site? It still has to download the file and everything, so it doesn't reduce too much time? Is this feature more for Game Maker games?

• Hey, that's actually pretty cool.

It doesn't seem to work on Opera, though. Java does work on Opera, not sure why your applet doesn't.

What's the difference between downloading a ZIP file and opening the standalone EXE vs. playing the game on your site? It still has to download the file and everything, so it doesn't reduce too much time? Is this feature more for Game Maker games?

It doesn't work on Opera? What game where you testing it on? Try this one: http://gmarcade.com/game/DeathWorm.html I know it works.

As for the difference, there is none. It just eliminates clicks and gives the impression of online play. And this feature is for any kind of executable game

• Maybe I don't have Java configured correctly.

I'll have to look into it later.

Games that require installation obviously won't work with this, right? How many of the games on your site work with this? Or are most of the games on your site Game Maker games right now?

Either way it's a pretty cool idea. It can definitely give users the feeling of a quicker play of the game.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)