Fund the game: Block Critter!

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Physics Block Puzzle game template for Construct 3
  • Demo page: scirra.com/forum/topic64109.html

Donations page: rockethub.com/projects/21308-block-critter-video-game

Prize: Up to four (4) second prize winners win a current full version copy of the game for Windows Pc which has 20 levels, a finished version of Block Critter for Windows PC (valued at up to $1.99-$2.99), and being listed in the credits as an Epic Supporter! A first place winner wins the current copy of the game and the finished copy, and gets his own screen in the game as an outstanding fan along with being in the credits. Also, first prize gets an exclusive art document showing character prototypes, etc.

What you have to do:

Finish the demo and tell me in this thread what you thought of the final level. You will be entered to win through a random drawing. This ends Sunday, March 10 and drawing will take place then.

Reason for this competition: We want people to enjoy this game and want people to have a full version copy and more. We just can't afford to give the game away free to everyone - at least not without the right donation!

• Downloaded game from other thread and after first level (collecting flag) I couldn't complete level 2 (was no flag).

• The title of your topic is misleading.

Your "contest" does not hold any prize related to C2.

• Downloaded game from other thread and after first level (collecting flag) I couldn't complete level 2 (was no flag).

PM'd with help. Remember, this is a hard game.

Fixed, Kyatric. :)

• why not put the demo of the game on rockethub where you are asking for funding. There seems to be confusion with the prizes. One minute there is a prize of 'villian' which isn't mentioned on rockethub and isn't mentioned on this thread. Very confusing.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • why not put the demo of the game on rockethub where you are asking for funding. There seems to be confusion with the prizes. One minute there is a prize of 'villian' which isn't mentioned on rockethub and isn't mentioned on this thread. Very confusing.

I still offer the villain prize for $70 to Construct 2 members but I actually took it down to avoid confusion. It simply doesn't translate well to a rockethub prize since there can only be a quantity of one.

• confusing !

why not put the demo on rockethub? thats where you want the funding isn't it?

• Yes. Maybe I should.

But let's focus on the game instead of the what ifs which really don't matter since nobody bought the prizes I had before I restructured the prizes.

• the focus was on the prizes as that was your topic title. Its quite misleading to keep changing the prizes within days..

my initial interest as gone because of these inconsistencies.

• Don't confuse 'confusing' with 'hard'. As is, the game is confusing, but it can be fixed easily. As is, a new user can only go with what they see. I?m going to give you roughly my thought process as I tried this game, as I think it will help ? you have to step back now and then and think like a new user.

Right from the title screen, it says tap to continue, which to a C2 user, means click the mouse. But the mouse doesn?t work - you have to press a key.

The first level is pretty straight forward - you are bound by the gray blocks, and have to avoid the brownish moving block, and touch the flag. I immediately wanted to use the arrow keys, but they didn't work, so I tried clicking on the dark NSEW blocks, and hey I'm moving. I avoid the blocks and touch the flag, and sit there for a few seconds with nothing happening. Then the next screen pops up.

Level two - I had exactly the same thought process as labithiotis. I see a black hole, but no flag, so I try going into the black hole, but nothing happens. At this point I actually gave up when I tried this a few days ago because there was nothing to do - no flag - must be broken. It was only today when I saw your new thread that I assumed you?d fixed things so I decided to try again. But guess what, nothing had changed, so I decided to go near the rotating block and see if something happens. It was only by accident that I touched the block and saw that it moved. So fine, now I get that I need to move the block to the black hole. At this point I?m finding the mouse controls annoying, so I try the arrow keys again (because I?d actually forgotten they didn?t work on level one). Hey, now they work, BUT they don?t always allow me to push the block! This needs to be fixed. So I push the block and there?s the flag. The critical issue here is, the player is surrounded by all of these gray immovable blocks, but they are somehow supposed to guess that that one gray block can move. This is a mistake. Remember, at least two of us gave up at this point, and couldn?t be bothered to play the game. It should be (somewhat) obvious that that block is different.

Now I?ve popped to this weird tight rope, but the there?s no movement controls, and the arrow keys don?t work again. I randomly click the mouse, and get a nasty red flash, and the level seems to reset. Fine I?ll click again, 'oh too hard', resets again. OK, let?s do small clicks and I manage to touch the flag. This makes no sense, and has nothing to do with the two levels we?ve just played. Back to the ?confusing? comment(s).

Level 3 ? OK, so now there are two black holes. I try to move the block to one or the other, but I?m having trouble with the controls again, and quite frankly give up, as I have no desire to play anymore.

Please take this for what it is ? constructive feedback. I think the basic premise is fine, but you need to clean up the interface, and give a minimal amount of help on what the user is expected to do. Angry Birds always shows you what each bird does differently. That doesn?t make it any easier to clear a level, but at least gives the player the minimal amount of knowledge they need to play the game.

• I see Kyatric changed the title on this thread. I won't change it back or anything but just so you know, this was suppose to be a competition with some free stuff. I still link to my donations page though because I am desparate to try to improve this game and doing so takes money I don't have.

I can still take suggestions but I have woked hard with beta testers throughout the process of this game, and any absolutely major suggestion would tend to cost money, but only if it involves art changes or additions.

• blackhornet is trying to help you.

I don't understand why money is needed to change areas of the game. Everyone else seems to be able to make changes without money..I've only been on this site a few days and the one thing I have learnt is that most of the other developers have a solid or fully working game before asking for money.

• blackhornet is trying to help you.

I don't understand why money is needed to change areas of the game. Everyone else seems to be able to make changes without money..I've only been on this site a few days and the one thing I have learnt is that most of the other developers have a solid or fully working game before asking for money.

And I will take his suggestions. :)

• mineet - I'm really sorry about my confusing you. But consistency isn't something that I have had so far. It has been more about making quick decisions and going with them.

Also, the reason why changing or making art takes money is because my artist works on a freelance basis. Usually larger games ask for funding and smaller games don't. The scale of my game is somewhere in between those two.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)