Forum upgrade

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • Lo and behold, we're now on phpbb 3.0.8.

Some positive changes that seem to have been thrown in:

• 'View your posts' in the nav bar allows you to view a list of threads you've posted in, which is a nice quick way to catch up on threads you're involved in (they highlight when new replies are made).
    • There's a 'quick reply' option at the end of most threads now, so you don't have to browse to a separate page to reply.
    • There are RSS feeds for the board, forums, and threads, which if your browser supports it, will show a feed icon and allow you to subscribe.
    • We were being overrun by spambots, and the hard work of the mods has saved most of you from seeing them (thanks guys). I've switched the signup captcha to PeopleSign which is an image matching captcha instead of "read the really garbled text" - hopefully this will defeat the march of the spambots.

If there are any problems, or, hell, any cool new features I've missed, be sure to let me know.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • We were being overrun by spambots, and the hard work of the mods has saved most of you from seeing them (thanks guys). I've switched the signup captcha to PeopleSign which is an image matching captcha instead of "read the really garbled text" - hopefully this will defeat the march of the spambots.

Oh my god, thank you. My banhammer is almost worn down to a stump.

• And this still hasn't fixed the pagination problem... whenever I search for something, I can't see more than the first page of search results because of this:

[quote:26uyxy7l]Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

• Anything that can stop the march of the spam bots is a good thing.

The only negative to this upgrade at the moment is that the breadcrumbs seem to have been changed. They usually showed the hieriachical path, so you could click back anywhere you need - parent, board root etc - whereby now it just shows the parent.

Small point, I know, but I like my breadcrumbs

• And this still hasn't fixed the pagination problem... whenever I search for something, I can't see more than the first page of search results

Hmm, not sure about why that would happen, but you might be hitting the search flood limit, which was 15 seconds. I've reduced it to 5 seconds for registered users, so if you wait a moment, then try again, it ought to work. Kinda dumb if it counts separate pages as individual searches though.

The only negative to this upgrade at the moment is that the breadcrumbs seem to have been changed.

I noticed that too, but I've learnt the hard way that in order to preserve sanity, if phpBB does something a bit weird that isn't essential, just shrug and move on. I think we'll get used to it, there are still links to the main forum index. Also, I do like Quick Reply

• It looks like the changes you made are working great. Nobody's had to ban a bot for two days now! Last week I had to ban something like eleven of them in one day.

This is awesome

• There are no failed signups piling up either - guess the new captcha is working nicely

• That's good to hear: a forum I mod at had a problem with spambots- I think that some ruskie was able to crack the latest captcha (since a lot of the bots were Russian), and a lot of forums were hit.

You're safe.... FOR NOW!!!!

• we should create spambot to spam the spambot

• Yeah. I see the new neat stuff. And I like the Quick Reply feature yay!!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)