Big RPG project discussion

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • My next project is probably a INI-based RPG top-down shooter game. With friendly and hostile NPCs, dialogues, items, maps and anything else CUSTOMIZABLE VIA INIs.

Sounds awesome, right? But how is this going to work? I made a quick scheme, but I need your help to optimize it.

------

INIs :

items.ini - contains weapons and items

player.ini - SPECIAL stats, health, and other stats

characters.ini - NPCs and enemies

------

Sounds easy, right? What about inventories? They're a pain in the ass. I still didn't figure out how to make a optimized inventories system.

I don't really have any idea, I need your help!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You would probably need sub categories ie character-playable, character -non playable, items usable- items -weapons, .etc.

• catalog all items in the items.ini file like you currently have but instead of a player.ini file, use save files:

playername.save1.ini

playername.save2.ini

etc ...

and instead of a characters.ini file you could perhaps have:

enemies.ini

dialogue.ini

for the inventories, it's all a matter of reading the ini and loading the values into variables and the finding a pleasing way to display and interact with them. to make the items.ini work with the save files, you can give each item an index number and the player save file can just reference the index number instead of all the item's details

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)