0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • http://schmidtpatrikandmaschine.dk/spricer/

For those who cringe at even thinking about splicing spritesheets

Edit:

Some tips about the tool

BEWARE OF TEXT

BEWARE OF LINES

for optimum results have the "transparent" background in a color that doesn't mix with the sprite with nothing in it(text,lines) except the sprites themselves

There might be bugs when tracing png that have transparent backgrounds so sometimes it can fail and not trace at all,but most of the time the last row gets ignored(not sure if it happens in color background as i haven't seen sheets that fail in it)

The trace are accurate but sometimes can be garbled up(but they export fine)

You can run out memory so free some up first or if its big split them into smaller ones

A 100MB memory footprint sprite will kill 2GB of ram

• the site wont let me donwload this does anyone have a copy?

• HOLY MOTHER OF GOD 100MB BLOWN TO 2GB?? What is this, java? XD

yeah I spy .NET in there. Probably C# which is garbage-collected as well. Sigh.

Well. Still nice to have I guess, even if improper memory management irks me

• Aeal5566

I can download just fine

Heres a link if you have problems

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1027218/Spricer.zip

madster

The purpose of the program is to take a big image and transform into lots of smaller images and has to check every pixel for it to do this

Its not that strange if you ask me

After all its not powered by magic so as to magically know where to cut

Also note that the alternative is that you have to do it by hand every 1 even if it has 10000 frames

• The purpose of the program is to take a big image and transform into lots of smaller images and has to check every pixel for it to do this

Its not that strange if you ask me

each pixel of a 100MB bmp, lumped together, should occupy exactly.... 100MB!

unless we're talking a 100MB highly compressed jpg, which would make it horrendously big.

I suspect wanton memory leaks. Probably hierarchical cuts and making lots of copies and then discarding them quickly (garbage collector kicks in periodically).

I really dislike garbage collectors in programming languages, they lead to code like this

• > The purpose of the program is to take a big image and transform into lots of smaller images and has to check every pixel for it to do this

> Its not that strange if you ask me

>

each pixel of a 100MB bmp, lumped together, should occupy exactly.... 100MB!

unless we're talking a 100MB highly compressed jpg, which would make it horrendously big.

I suspect wanton memory leaks. Probably hierarchical cuts and making lots of copies and then discarding them quickly (garbage collector kicks in periodically).

I really dislike garbage collectors in programming languages, they lead to code like this <!-- s:P -->

{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_razz.gif" alt=":P" title="Razz[/IMG]<!-- s:P -->

:p Hehe I know this is 2 years late.

Spricer is an old project of mine, I created it for my own Private use, but a friend of mine suggested me to just put it out on the web since if I'm having problems with slicing up spritesheets properly, then somebody else MOST LIKELY will have the same problem.

Thats where it all started.

Yes, to begin with its coded in c# :p magical stuff does not happen in this black box. And unfortenately it DOES take up quite more memory than what the image itself uses.

WHY?

Well its because, each pixel had to be collected, stored and processed in the memory. Dont forget that a pixel on a image is represented differently in programming language. you have a "object" (well in this case it is, not always) to represent each pixel. So even if a image is 100MB big, it wouldnt be 100MB in memory.

Because each pixel object has 4 bytes to begin with. Alpha,Red,Green,Blue, and in this case even X,Y. These objects represents quite a lot more bytes then the original 4 bytes per pixel.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense :p

This old version of Spricer used the .NET getpixel to read the pixels. Stupid enough, so it had to open up the image for reading, read 1 pixel and then close the image again.

This has been fixed and the image processing is now ~10x quicker.

Please check: youtube.com/watch

for a new, updated version.

Sorry again for bringing this back into motion, just thought that if this was brought some light to it. Maybe people will find out that spricer isnt that bad :)

Other then that, just leave a comment and tell me I'm stupid if you need to. My thoughts are only to help people. Not creating a burden for them.

Cheers!

• zerratar

I have some problem, I tried to download the SpricerBeta mentioned on the youtube link but it seems like are its either down or the file has been removed... >.<

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thank you lunarray for notifying me this!

I have fixed it and it should be back up now, downloadable :)

// Sorry for the late reply

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)