Native Compiler (Alpha) Blog By Tom

From the Asset Store
Is a system for building scorecards and achievements online for use in games Using this system, you can create a scorebo

Best way to kill a program is asking money for it straight off the bat, ill let the free version run wild for a bit, and if people like it, then we will see about pricing.

Best way to kill a program is asking money for it straight off the bat, ill let the free version run wild for a bit, and if people like it, then we will see about pricing.

riiiight .... perhaps its an idea to get a partner for public relations and actually do some planning what information you want to release to the public.

Seeing as you already contradict yourself :As the export with the free version, only able to publish through you, will cost 20% commision. (according to your information)

You have pricing plans listing prices near 2k$ .... and you dont even know if you will be able to get everything to work.

Sorry to be a bit negative, but from my perception, you have invested time in something you are saying you will not give up on because you invested 2 months of time.

That to me sounds rediculous, 2 months is nothing.

Some questions:

Who does your testing ?

What happens if monkey gets a big overhaul ?

Have you ever made other software ?

Do you have something of a portfolio ?

Are there any legal factors involved if people start using your system ?

Again, apologies if this comes accros a bit negative, but your opening the doors for it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

> Best way to kill a program is asking money for it straight off the bat, ill let the free version run wild for a bit, and if people like it, then we will see about pricing.

>

riiiight .... perhaps its an idea to get a partner for public relations and actually do some planning what information you want to release to the public.

Seeing as you already contradict yourself :As the export with the free version, only able to publish through you, will cost 20% commision. (according to your information)

You have pricing plans listing prices near 2k$ .... and you dont even know if you will be able to get everything to work.

Sorry to be a bit negative, but from my perception, you have invested time in something you are saying you will not give up on because you invested 2 months of time.

That to me sounds rediculous, 2 months is nothing.

Some questions:

Who does your testing ?

What happens if monkey gets a big overhaul ?

Have you ever made other software ?

Do you have something of a portfolio ?

Are there any legal factors involved if people start using your system ?

Again, apologies if this comes accros a bit negative, but your opening the doors for it.

Nothing is set in stone.

The pricing is just a template, just an idea, give people an idea on what i'm thinking, not whats its going to be.

someone wanted some information about licensing i just posted what information i had at the time.

I'm sorry if ive come off arrogant, it was not my intention. This project was originally was only being developed for myself, but people were arguing over crosswalk vs this and that, i just thought id let people know about the program i am making.

Again the program will be available to try, people will like it or not like it, it may flop, it may succeed. But what is the harm in trying?

2 months is nothing? I could of got a job, i could be putting more effort into uni, i could helping my father on his farm, i could be doing heaps of other things. But i'm spending my time on something that may work, or it may not. It may be nothing too you, but it darn well means a lot to me thanks.

1. I do my testing, its only alpha, as ive said before.

2. Monkey gets a new release every month or so, if mark makes any changes to code functionality, he generally gives people a heads up.

3. Nothing worth releasing commercially, but everyone starts somewhere.

4. Nothing worth talking about, apart from what i'm doing and the game i was working on before this.

5. Ive read the license agreements, i'm not breaking any rules.

Im just one guy trying to make something i thought would a cool idea. Sorry if it comes off as something else.

It does not come off as something else, in fact, it comes off as something that a large part of the scirra community would be greatly interrested in.

What I mean with 2 months is nothing, is that 2 months of solo development time on a personal project is but a speck of time some developers spent on their vision, whether or not it comes off the ground at all.

Many developers on scirra spent over a year working on a game, and quite a few do that in team work.

The reason I am a bit critical with some information, is just the fact that such a tool could indeed be a huge addition to construct 2 users. But the information your providing is coming accros a bit clumsy (I did not find it arrogant).

It might be worth to check out the community in seeing if people are interrested in teaming up with this endeavour.

There are quite a few capable programmers on this forum, and I can imagine some will be very interrested in working on such a project or aiding and assisting to provide better feedback.

I for one would be worried about the quality of testing done solo, seeing your new with construct 2 and there are many variations in programming styles. (good and bad)

I am interrested in this project, and would be willing to lend a hand where possible. ^_^

It does not come off as something else, in fact, it comes off as something that a large part of the scirra community would be greatly interrested in.

What I mean with 2 months is nothing, is that 2 months of solo development time on a personal project is but a speck of time some developers spent on their vision, whether or not it comes off the ground at all.

Many developers on scirra spent over a year working on a game, and quite a few do that in team work.

The reason I am a bit critical with some information, is just the fact that such a tool could indeed be a huge addition to construct 2 users. But the information your providing is coming accros a bit clumsy (I did not find it arrogant).

It might be worth to check out the community in seeing if people are interrested in teaming up with this endeavour.

There are quite a few capable programmers on this forum, and I can imagine some will be very interrested in working on such a project or aiding and assisting to provide better feedback.

I for one would be worried about the quality of testing done solo, seeing your new with construct 2 and there are many variations in programming styles. (good and bad)

I am interrested in this project, and would be willing to lend a hand where possible. ^_^

Such kindness

Don't talk me about code styles, i spent all yesterday trying to comment and clean i fell asleep!

All this talk of fees and such are completely immature, wait til its a functional exporter first and foremost.

Also, all the best of luck, lots of us are looking forward to it.

All this talk of fees and such are completely immature, wait til its a functional exporter first and foremost.

Also, all the best of luck, lots of us are looking forward to it.

I got ahead of myself. I apologise to everyone.

Consider my lesson learnt about speaking of the future.

Next week ill take a break from the forums and work on the now.

Thanks everyone for the great advice and support

I'm going to close this thread because it's turned in to a proposal for a competing commercial product, which I don't think is appropriate to discuss on these forums. tomsstudio and any other interested users should take this to another site.

I also really want to emphasise to any users who may be interested in this that the technical challenge is truly extraordinary; consider Ludei have ~20 employees and a great deal of funding and struggle with this, and they still get to work with a Javascript engine, so they do not have the additional responsibility of porting all our JS engine code to another language. We regularly change our engine code as well, and keeping up with our weekly updates is likely to be full time work in itself, let alone other development. We have been making complicated but compatible algorithmic optimisations to our engine for years now; if another engine does not implement them all to the same degree of quality, it will likely still be slower than our JS engine in many cases, and if they are done incorrectly, they will break games. Finally maintaining compatibility with all features in our engine amounts to writing a new browser engine comparable to Chromium, which means competing with the might of Google's vast engineering resources. If I thought we had any chance of doing this ourselves internally, we would already be doing it; any third party who decides to try this anyway will have the additional hurdle of lacking our internal knowledge of how the engine works. tomsstudio, good luck, you will most certainly need it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)