Seeking Single Coder To Create Simple Mobile App

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • That URL it removed is about DOT me SLASH tylerregas. You can email me direct from there.

• The game doesn't involve anything online.

Well as long as there is a multiplayer the game does involve things online.

Let's say it's a huge hit and sells 1,000,000 copies at $1.99 in its first year. That's $2m gross, nets a good chunk less, probably leaving around $1.7m. Since the 10% is taken from gross earnings and not net, that means $200k for our programmer.

Let's say it's NOT a huge hit and sells only 200,000 copies. That's $400k gross, giving the programmer $40k. None of that is bad for a job that took a few weeks tops and some maintenance duty. Add on top of that the potential for some funds derived from a IndieGoGo campaign, and this is not a sad offer.

There is a lot of "if" considering only 5% of the games can make it through that kind of sells. I've been in more than 5 teams with wonderful ideas and none of them made it through. I am not telling you will not succeed I am just telling that without previous experience and no real garantees we can't really hope for a happy offer, especially when it is more than 1 month of work.

Even Publishers take more % and they make less work.

Just trying to put the expectations in the reality. It's like people saying hey your song costs 1 dollar but if you sell 5 million of it... while in reality you will sell less than 100

As for your post script, ideas are everything. Execution is everything only to those who can execute. Ideas, however, are the world if the person who has one can bring people together to make it happen. Besides, you must have an idea in order to bring it to life. Execution is nothing without a seed of inspiration.

I was in that team once where the leader couldn't do anything but write scenarios. He had the "idea" and was so afraid about it to be stolen that he even made me sign a confidentiality clause. And sure he promised profit share. Needless to say he never had a complete team and people were quiting.

Everyone has ideas. But not everyone is able to turn them real. We are all dreamers. But the sad truth is that people won't work for you for free or for promises. They might actually work for some weeks but after they will probably stop then abandon. (saw this so many times).

And don't confuse inspiration with ideas and with game design. These are completely different things. A game design can be copyrighted an idea can not because the gamedesign is execution at some point and that is what is valuable. Angry birds was a copy of an old idea but their execution shined that's why they got millions.

And again if you don't pay people to execute your idea they will do it badly or they will quit after some time.

Just sayin'. Wish you luck anyway.

And no offense, I was reacting cause I just see many people who think that they will become millionairs because they are awesome and their idea is great and most of all that they'll be able to do it for free.

• Uniform, thanks for your input. I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences.

Multi-player games do not have to be online. Just think about how people play pre-internet games. They bust out a board set and play around a table or on the floor. Each person is playing the same game, in turns. My game is not turned based, but it based around all players being around the phone or tablet to play.

You're right. There are a lot of "ifs", and that is true with any venture attempted. I am going into this with the fully matured understanding that it might not go anywhere. It surely won't if I don't try, and in order for me to try, I must enlist others who are skilled where I am not. I'd hate to think that you're suggesting that only people who have the ability to make an idea real should have ideas. That would make life a terribly structured place to live and wouldn't spawn a lot of creativity or sharing.

And just so you know, those are purely examples, not expectations. I'm well aware that most don't make it in any market. I also have nearly 20 years of experience in the publishing industry as a freelancer and I have an agent who gets paid before I do. It's all part of the game. We all have to play.

As for the projects you have worked on before, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences. If I thought that this game concept was any more complex than it is, I'd be looking for some initial funding. There is one misconception you have about ideas and game design I'd like to give you some added perspective on, however. A game idea cannot be protected. A game design can be considered for potential protection. You need to look at it from the marketing standpoint and you'll see where I'm coming from.

While no guarantee, the first and most aggressive to market with an idea is typically the most successful. It is for this very reason that I am not revealing my concept in public. There is a part of me that does not want to see copies of my game of any kind, but I know they will come. However, if I do it first and do it right, then there is a much greater chance to see it go big. You should be learning lessons from Apple. They hid the iPhone before they rolled it out and it took the other companies YEARS before they started making a dent in Apple's lead.

This is the power of discretion.

So, I can't tell if you want to help and are just being wary or if you're genuinely warning me away from disaster, but rest assured that I am the analytical type. I step through as many possible iterations as I can before making a decision. On the other hand, I don't deliberate too long, or the opportunity is lost. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.

That's life.

• Email sent Tyler!

Justin / ~Ant

• Sorry that we couldn't work together, maybe another time!

but with how simple it is, shouldn't be a problem to find someone here on the forums!

Good luck Tyler!

Justin / ~Ant

• Thank you, Justin.

I'm still seeking a C2 coder for a simple app that shouldn't take any longer than a week or so to get to alpha. It's really simple. In case anyone is curious, it is a drinking game. I will reveal the mechanics to the selected developer.

• hmmm you're expecting someone to take a risk by working for free, yet you're putting restrictions like 10% for first year? Many games don't catch on till many months after release, some even years...

If you really believe in your game so much, then pay upfront and you can have all the restrictions you want. Just seems really unfair the way you have it now.

This is how it should be..

small upfront payment AND 10% for first year

OR

no upfront payment AND 10% lifetime

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If I had the ability to pay up front, I would gladly do so. Unfortunately, I do not. I am very willing to discuss terms that are NOT the 10% for the first year, however. How about 50% for the first two years and then 10% for the next three?

Additionally, if you knew how ludicrously simple the idea is, I doubt you'd see it as a risk at all. I'm just trying to get an idea off the ground, maybe put some money in the pockets of myself and a developer, and keep moving forward.

I get the sense that people really want to know what the idea is before committing. I just can't do that. I'm not asking you to trust me, but this is one of those things that if you were to know, you'd slap your head and say, "Oh yeah! Someone else would take that in a flat second if you let that out."

It would be akin to me giving away a winning lottery ticket. Well, at least a 1 in 10 chance that it's a winning lottery ticket

• If I had the ability to pay up front, I would gladly do so. Unfortunately, I do not. I am very willing to discuss terms that are NOT the 10% for the first year, however. How about 50% for the first two years and then 10% for the next three?

Additionally, if you knew how ludicrously simple the idea is, I doubt you'd see it as a risk at all. I'm just trying to get an idea off the ground, maybe put some money in the pockets of myself and a developer, and keep moving forward.

I get the sense that people really want to know what the idea is before committing. I just can't do that. I'm not asking you to trust me, but this is one of those things that if you were to know, you'd slap your head and say, "Oh yeah! Someone else would take that in a flat second if you let that out."

It would be akin to me giving away a winning lottery ticket. Well, at least a 1 in 10 chance that it's a winning lottery ticket

By the way do you have an apple developer account? Are you set up with admob and stuff, will it be a paid game (in the apple store) or a free game?

50% for the first two years seems to be a much more legit proposition however.

• I do not yet have a paid Apple developers account. The plan is to raise marketing and publishing funds via the IndieGoGo campaign based on the initial build of the game. Of course, some of that money will also go to the developer as well as production of the graphics assets to be added later (the game can work without graphics, but it will look better with them). I have no intention of inserting ads of any kind in the game. I hate that, so I'm not going to do that to other people.

The game will be paid and I'm hovering between $0.99 and $1.99. I believe either well qualify for impulse buy, and there's a bevy of other content that will be added aside from the game that will make it compelling. I and my friends are also working on a card game (real cards, not digital) that will fall into the same category as this game, so there's more potential for cross-marketing.

As for the 50% for the first two years, I just want whomever the developer is to be happy that they took a week or two out of their regular work to slap this thing together for me. I want you to feel that you are getting something out of this and be rewarded for your work. If I were a VC or had money, I'd happily pay a developer for their work, but instead I must offer other incentives.

Thanks for keeping this idea alive -TC

• sorry 10% for 1 year?.... in my opinion, since the programmer does all the work, then just add some poor graphics and free sounds ,..... that are free on internet...they should get 35% revenue for life ... but heh... i think this thread is closed already not sure why i even post here.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)