Promotion of the game

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Hi fellow constuctors! Can you give some advices about game promotion and advertising. I've created a game recently and want to sell it on Indievania. I've published free demo on indie.db and gamejolt, but I think it's not enough. Maybe you can advice me some more sites like that to publish the demo or some other ways to tell the world about my game. How would you promote your own game?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Have you read Publishing and Promoting your Construct 2 game? Obviously that's for C2, you didn't mention which tool you're using.

• Have you read Publishing and Promoting your Construct 2 game? Obviously that's for C2, you didn't mention which tool you're using.

Thanks for advice Ashley! I'm using Construct Classic.

• Any sort of client/downloaded game is a harder sell than a html5 or web game. I'm not saying that they are bad, I like the features of Construct Classic, and what can be customized by the user with a client. But a web game is easier to run (no download)

With my game Untitled (A Construct Classic Game) I have an indieDB page for it, that I posted to regularly. Plus I promoted the game some on the Ludum Dare website (it was originally made within 48 hours for LD) The game has only gotten about 14 unique players, counting myself.

Target Audience is also a big picture, I make weird art games with a low appeal level. If your game can appeals to a more generalized audience (Chic graphics, and whatnot usually does the trick) that you can possible promote the game on one of the many Indie Developer websites. Read up about Presskits and sending press releases, pixel prospector has a great list of articles about them.

Consider accessibility, I just made a game using Construct 2 for the first time (in 48 hours this last weekend) If you have been using Construct Classic it would be a really easy switch. html5 bumps your accessibility up from windows only (Construct Classic) to almost any modern platform. Also because its html5 you don't have to download and install the files to your computer making it easier for someone to pickup and play the game.

If you are selling the game (Construct Classic), you can use one of the many publishing websites, but most of the indie ones have a really small audience. Desura is one of the biggest, but they have been known to reject games that they see as casual. (They think they have a hardcore gamer audience) For Construct 2 the article mentioned above covers many of the popular portals.

My last suggestion would be on the website, spend some time on it and make your website look nice. Try to sell (get them to download it) your product with screenshots and videos. With a website I would appeals to as many people as possible, some just want information about the game (this should be the first page) Some like to know about the development, put some information about it on another page. If you have an Artist Statement (relic of art galleries and museums) then put that on a page (possible the same page as the development/about one). Most of all just keep the website simple, and easy to navigate. Avoid dropdown menus, and don't use flash or html5 for the main website (makes it hard to search).

I haven't had much luck promoting my game. I wish I had taken a proactive approach to it sooner. These are my thoughts from reading articles around the web, and my own experience. I guess the bottom line is don't expect the game to promote itself, or become popular without you driving it.

• Any sort of client/downloaded game is a harder sell than a html5 or web game. I'm not saying that they are bad, I like the features of Construct Classic, and what can be customized by the user with a client. But a web game is easier to run (no download)

With my game Untitled (A Construct Classic Game) I have an indieDB page for it, that I posted to regularly. Plus I promoted the game some on the Ludum Dare website (it was originally made within 48 hours for LD) The game has only gotten about 14 unique players, counting myself.

Target Audience is also a big picture, I make weird art games with a low appeal level. If your game can appeals to a more generalized audience (Chic graphics, and whatnot usually does the trick) that you can possible promote the game on one of the many Indie Developer websites. Read up about Presskits and sending press releases, pixel prospector has a great list of articles about them.

Consider accessibility, I just made a game using Construct 2 for the first time (in 48 hours this last weekend) If you have been using Construct Classic it would be a really easy switch. html5 bumps your accessibility up from windows only (Construct Classic) to almost any modern platform. Also because its html5 you don't have to download and install the files to your computer making it easier for someone to pickup and play the game.

If you are selling the game (Construct Classic), you can use one of the many publishing websites, but most of the indie ones have a really small audience. Desura is one of the biggest, but they have been known to reject games that they see as casual. (They think they have a hardcore gamer audience) For Construct 2 the article mentioned above covers many of the popular portals.

My last suggestion would be on the website, spend some time on it and make your website look nice. Try to sell (get them to download it) your product with screenshots and videos. With a website I would appeals to as many people as possible, some just want information about the game (this should be the first page) Some like to know about the development, put some information about it on another page. If you have an Artist Statement (relic of art galleries and museums) then put that on a page (possible the same page as the development/about one). Most of all just keep the website simple, and easy to navigate. Avoid dropdown menus, and don't use flash or html5 for the main website (makes it hard to search).

I haven't had much luck promoting my game. I wish I had taken a proactive approach to it sooner. These are my thoughts from reading articles around the web, and my own experience. I guess the bottom line is don't expect the game to promote itself, or become popular without you driving it.

Thanks for reply, I consider that you're right. I tried to promote my older project on Desura and they rejected it. My own website is under development right now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)