Point'n'click graphic adventure game

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • Psynaptik

It depends on what you mean by "text manipulation". If you're looking for methods of storing dialog, I'd recommend a system using the XML plugin. If you're looking for methods of displaying dialog, I've found the sprite font plugin far more useful than the text plugin. A couple days ago, I posted this topics regarding text parsing, and how it can be useful for setting up dialog systems.

Edit: Heres an example of one method of retrieving and displaying dialog via XML I made for another topic:

Demo

Capx

• That's really useful zatyka, thanks for that.

Yeah, what I meant was dealing with conversations and dialogue trees mainly. I see a lot of chat on these forums about physics and mechanical type topics, but not much on how to handle large amounts of data and/or text - needed for a dialogue system! That, plus there didn't seem to be much in the plugins list that seemed to suggest there was much functionality in that area (at first glance anyway).

I look forward to getting into what you've posted here - cheers.

Do you think the XML plugin would work well with something like ChatMapper then? That would be awesome if it could!

Although I must confess that I've got INCREDIBLY excited about that Adventure Creator Asset for Unity - it looks awesome! Cheers for that link Rayek!

• Well since it's November 10th where I am; and in fact not much longer either :D

The Blue Code on FaceBook

facebook.com/bluecodegame

The Blue Code DEMO

Game is BEST experiences with WebGL and Advanced Audio API. If your browser does not support these; either use Chrome or download native OS versions.

Links:

Online: herobix.com/bbtree/bluecode-game

Native Packaged

Windows: goo.gl/t983vw or goo.gl/TXI4KW

Linux: goo.gl/jY5y6H or goo.gl/CGIRhI

OSX: goo.gl/Bcyvn4 or goo.gl/alqzOf

This is a Construct 2 Point and Click adventure game demo. We have plans to do a kickstarter in a few months. There are some features not in as I think I mentioned prior.

I suggest Chrome or download. Please like the The Blue Code page :D

• Or try Visionaire. Most Daedalic-Stuff is made with this.

+1 Visionaire. And they are working on Mac, and mobile support.

• BTW, Gemini Rue only got released in iOS because it was totally reprogrammed from the ground up - nothing to do with AGS itself really, although the open sourcing obviously helped!

This is wrong. Gemini Rue uses the iOS port of the AGS engine; it wasn't remade from scratch. There are some details about changes made for tablets in this interview. Many of these things would be done on the game level, not the engine level. And Janet Gilbert says:

The engine-level technical challenges were mostly handled by the AGS porting team ? so a big thank-you to everyone on that team, especially JJS (Jochen Schleu) who fixed so many tricky bugs in the engine for me!

A lot of games work well in the Linux and Mac ports already. Obviously it's more work to adapt a game for mobile platforms (like making the hotspots larger or reworking the combat in GR for tablets).

• Hi all!

I'm really interested on making not-so point and clicky adventures, I think I'll mostly need an inventory (or maybe a couple variables) and dialogue.

I'm thinking more To The Moon, less Monkey Island.

Personally, I find most Daedalic games AWFUL. Not in terms of dialogue or gameplay itself (Deponia is their best effort), but Visionaire is full of bugs. I got stuck on A New Beginning twice, and had to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it. So Visionaire is a no go.

AGS might be up to the task, since I find most Wadget Eye Games almost perfect, but I specifically WANT to use Construct 2.

Specially after seeing what it's capable of.

And of course, there's this new, complete and fully featured game on KickStarter, The Slaughter (google it).

• > BTW, Gemini Rue only got released in iOS because it was totally reprogrammed from the ground up - nothing to do with AGS itself really, although the open sourcing obviously helped!

This is wrong. Gemini Rue uses the iOS port of the AGS engine; it wasn't remade from scratch. There are some details about changes made for tablets in capsulecomputers.com.au/2013/03/interview-with-david-and-janet-from-wadjet-eye-games Many of these things would be done on the game level, not the engine level. And Janet Gilbert says:

> The engine-level technical challenges were mostly handled by the AGS porting team ? so a big thank-you to everyone on that team, especially JJS (Jochen Schleu) who fixed so many tricky bugs in the engine for me!

A lot of games work well in the Linux and Mac ports already. Obviously it's more work to adapt a game for mobile platforms (like making the hotspots larger or reworking the combat in GR for tablets).

Okay, so I didn't make that very clear. What I was really getting at was that iOS and Android publishing with AGS is only possible with a lot of programming work and engine hackery. Their primary focus is simply running the AGS engine on these platforms, so a long way to go towards publishing.

In my mind, this is the biggest problem with AGS (that and the lack of support for 2 screens!). In this day and age, I find it difficult to begin engaging with a system/engine that doesn't publish to multiple platforms. But you can always have hope for AGS!

• >

> > BTW, Gemini Rue only got released in iOS because it was totally reprogrammed from the ground up - nothing to do with AGS itself really, although the open sourcing obviously helped!

>

> This is wrong. Gemini Rue uses the iOS port of the AGS engine; it wasn't remade from scratch. There are some details about changes made for tablets in capsulecomputers.com.au/2013/03/interview-with-david-and-janet-from-wadjet-eye-games Many of these things would be done on the game level, not the engine level. And Janet Gilbert says:

>

>

> > The engine-level technical challenges were mostly handled by the AGS porting team ? so a big thank-you to everyone on that team, especially JJS (Jochen Schleu) who fixed so many tricky bugs in the engine for me!

>

> A lot of games work well in the Linux and Mac ports already. Obviously it's more work to adapt a game for mobile platforms (like making the hotspots larger or reworking the combat in GR for tablets).

Okay, so I didn't make that very clear. What I was really getting at was that iOS and Android publishing with AGS is only possible with a lot of programming work and engine hackery. Their primary focus is simply running the AGS engine on these platforms, so a long way to go towards publishing.

In my mind, this is the biggest problem with AGS (that and the lack of support for 2 screens!). In this day and age, I find it difficult to begin engaging with a system/engine that doesn't publish to multiple platforms. But you can always have hope for AGS!

Mmmm, no. From the same interview quoted earlier:

"The engine-level technical challenges were mostly handled by the AGS porting team ? so a big thank-you to everyone on that team, especially JJS (Jochen Schleu) who fixed so many tricky bugs in the engine for me!"

I started using AGS back when it was still DOS-only. If the community is half as supportive as it was back then, there's a ton of support for getting your AGS game on any device you're interesting in.

• Hi, I started working on my point and click game about two months ago, as a learning project for Construct. I'm trying to make something like the good old lucasart games. In fact I'm more or less trying to make a clone. I'm trying to do something like the first monkey island/indy 4 era but with controls from the later games like monkey island 3 or full throttle (a popup menu and invnetory instead or a fixed interface at the bottom of the screen) because I believe they are more suitable for touch and gamepad controls.

this is what I have so far: http://soletme.free.fr/PointNClick/

I have mostly been focusing on building some kind of framework, the scenes and menus are loaded dynamically from xml files, so I only need two or three layouts for the whole game, no matter how many backgrounds there are.This way if i decide to add or rename a layer, I only have to do it one one layout.

I only started working on interactions with the environment, I implemented the action interface and inventory (hold left click and right click) but they don't do much yet.

Next will be the dialogs, the hardest part, but I already have some ideas on how to do it, again mostly by implementing some kind of database in xml.

for now the game support mouse, touch, keyboard and gamepad controls seamlessly. It was challenging but interesting to implement. It also supports multi-language for menus (only french and english at the moment) and will do so for dialogs and interface.

However, I'm having second thoughts. I think I might want to turn it into a real clone of the old lucasart games, with the full verb interface, and keep the multi-control concept for a simpler game, more action oriented with a single button action and no inventory (more like Another World). Let me know what you think. I know what I'm trying to domalready exists with AGS, but that the point, AGSis no Construct :)

• OlivierC

That's pretty nifty. I like the idea of template with XML files. I should consider a plan like that. It would be nice for designers to easily design levels and load then load the level from a file.

Currently out team managed this apps.facebook.com/thebluecode in a month. I had the same plan to genericify this into more a tool for other adventure games. But each level is it's own layout. I did a lot of work to let designers handle room design. But that process still has a few hurdles to get over. The last 2 weeks were a major rush and some of the designer friendly facet was lost :|

The Blue Code

i'm hoping in a few months of changing the system into a tool for other C2 users. But the lack of modularity support makes using this system difficult for others when I make updates. As some updates will be very large.

• jayderyu

Yes I had seen your game a few weeks back when you posted it. I remember the whole thing was pretty nice but the sound effects were really a turn off: I'd rather have no sound at all than poor quality sound.

This week end I decided to branch my project to make a real clone of the SCUMM engine, with the big action buttons, only for desktop pc and eventually tablets. I actually spent several hours this weekend recreating the sprite font from monkey island (no the dialog one, the other, used everywhere else). For the game itself, I want to make a monkey island/star wars mash-up (Guybrush Cloudrider wants to become a jedi knight) Of course I was not try to make any money from this game or some people will try to sue my ass. I'm really excited about the new low rez rendering feature, this will really help me to achieve the look and feel of the original games

• That sounds really cool :D Guybrush Cloudrider sounds like a character I can get into :)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, I will post a WIP thread in the "your creation" section when I have something worth showing, probably next week. But I'll be mostly focusing on the engine part first, using existing sprites. So you won't see Guybrush wielding a lightsaber soon

• hey Oliver, if you manage to do that, I'll be requesting tons of help from you =P

I'll be developing adventure games later on, when I really get the grasp of the whole engine.

If you haven't, please check Fester Mudd Ep. 1. It's FANTASTIC. It's a true successor of Lucasarts games.

What I feel it will be hard in Construct, is the movement. I'm really worried about how Construct might hand the collisions, that's a place where AGS is actually quite solid, it seems.

I've seen your demo and the sprite scalation is worrysome too. It's not like old Lucas games.

• Thanks for your feedback

Fester Mudd looks really nice indeed, the kind of thing I want to to do.

Scalling should look more like the real thing once the current beta goes live, with the new low-resolution rendering, the layout will actually be rendered in 320*200 and up-scalled, so the character sprite will pixelated as it is scalled down. But if you mean the scale ratio is wrong ( that it shrinks to much with distance or not enough), yes it probably is, it's just a test, it's just a variable that can be adjusted for each scene.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)