Platformer game example needed

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Unlock platyers earning coins, and save it with Localstorage
  • I'm looking to create a game utilizing the assets from the failed game glitch. this is a side scrolling platformer game where you move left to right, jump and interact with your environment, like harvest from chickens, pigs, trees, etc. what i'm looking for is a base example of all the elements needed, controls for all devices, and a basic level to move in.

I don't see much about "zone" transitioning, moving between one place to another, that would likely need to load external elements on demand to save on memory usage. also multiplayer / mysql setup to store information, such as a zone unique to each registered user where they can store a customized version of their house layout for example.

Another example i've not seen is the ability for a user to register, design a avatar, then enter the world and interact with whoever else is in the game.

If anyone knows of a example that has at least most of these elements in one capx file, or maybe a tutorial on tying it all together, this would be a big help. I have paid for construct to, so i am not limited by the free limitations.

the game i'm wanting to re-create is

Subscribe to Construct videos now

so user interaction, map, zones, chat, stored settings in mysql in a secure manor.

• A game like the one you'd like to make consists of many different elements and could take a lot of time to create.

A lot of these elements are covered in different tutorials.

For example Register-Login:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/525/si ... l-database

I'd suggest searching the tutorial section and the how-to part of this forum and combining all the elements in the way you'd like.

• mostly looking for the correct way to utilize a database and server, i've seen people say don't use apache / php, others say its best, considering a successful game can generate over 30,000 live users, that's not really a mistake you would want to make, as it would fail from too much data being sent between the server and each user.

hope that makes sense.

A game like the one you'd like to make consists of many different elements and could take a lot of time to create.

A lot of these elements are covered in different tutorials.

For example Register-Login:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/525/si ... l-database

I'd suggest searching the tutorial section and the how-to part of this forum and combining all the elements in the way you'd like.

• I'm not sure what you mean, haha..

I'm guessing you have read the multiplayer part of the manual?

https://www.scirra.com/manual/174/multiplayer

A lot should be able to be done on the device of the player itself.

I've never worked with multiplayer myself and I have no clue as to which parts of your game require communication between devices, so I guess my ability to be of service kinda ends with trying to point in the right direction.

• I appreciate it. just a lot to think about before getting started. reason why i was looking for a blueprint if you will of the correct method, for example the other link you provided was sending plain text passwords in the url. big big big no no. so added to the list, md5 hashing for passwords, and if possible encrypted data between the game and the server to not only prevent users from having their accounts hijacked, but to prevent cheating.

I'm not sure what you mean, haha..

I'm guessing you have read the multiplayer part of the manual?

https://www.scirra.com/manual/174/multiplayer

A lot should be able to be done on the device of the player itself.

I've never worked with multiplayer myself and I have no clue as to which parts of your game require communication between devices, so I guess my ability to be of service kinda ends with trying to point in the right direction.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • In my opinion you should try and keep the database part as small as possible and while writing to database also write to webstorage, that way you can compare the in-game-data to the database-data, to try and prevent cheating.

Making secure calls through Ajax is probably something a php/datbase-programmer should look into.

• side note, for anyone reading this, if you didn't already know, the game i referenced went under, and released all their assets to public domain, meaning you can use them without credit, profit share, etc.

the assets are in fla/swf format, but some people have been kind enough to convert them to png.

search google for "glitch converted assets" or sprites, depending on what you need. pretty good stuff, and actually inspired a ton of ideas for me at least.

I have a market for a game, i just don't want to make that fatal mistake of jumping in too fast without thinking ahead of every possible problem. (encryption, database, etc)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)