Late in life indie game developers, Talk to me.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
These recognizable, fun-filled and simple music loops are a great asset for fast prototyping and ready for use.
  • 43 here!

• frn2000

Ok, care to share anything else? Who are you, and what are you working on?

• frn2000

Ok, care to share anything else? Who are you, and what are you working on?

I haven't started working on any of my projects yet. I'm looking at all resources (books, tutorials, examples, bugs with Wine/Ubuntu, etc). I just mentioned my age. I'm a 43-year-old systems programmer. I'm trying to get into game design as a side project with my kids.

http://www.vintageos.org/frn2000.php

• frn, put code to compiler before you work on your projects. Your first game attempts will always be shoddy. Things work a bit differently than conventional software but the principles of game dev will carry over to almost any engine/api.

Also, I decided it's not worth using wine to run windows app and have finally come to the conclusion that I just need to run a copy of windows. The user experience is really that much better to run C2 natively.

Just opinions of course

• Hi, I'm new here, and I was looking for a topic to post in first. I just turned 37. I've always wanted to make video games, even went to school for computer animation and programming, but then life happened--a family, a full time job, etc., slowed me down. I spent my youth coming up with game ideas (board games mostly) and the desire never went away, even though I tried to suppress it by focusing on illustration, novel writing, comic-making, freelance art, etc. Since the desire to make games never went away, I kept recording game ideas and taught myself how to make my own game character sprites for whenever I managed to gain enough skill to actually bring them to life in an interactive way.

Been through many different programs trying to simplify the game development process as much as possible and, after looking into it rather deeply, I'm leaning toward using Construct.

My game development experiences have been...well, nonexistent, really. Aside from making sprites, I find it difficult to stick to one idea long enough to bring it to life. I try to simplify my concepts as much as possible, but in the end I end up struggling to come up with my own environments and the like. I just get a little jolt whenever I think about making games and I know I don't want to live the rest of my life without at least trying to create a game.

• Dualmask

I have a nearly identical story. I guess I'm a little ahead of you though. I started with C2 a year ago. I have focused on a single game concept and it's really materializing. You may find C2 to be extremely fluid in getting your ideas into tangible form.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Dualmask

I have a nearly identical story. I guess I'm a little ahead of you though. I started with C2 a year ago. I have focused on a single game concept and it's really materializing. You may find C2 to be extremely fluid in getting your ideas into tangible form.

I got your private message, but since I don't even have enough rep to send PMs yet, I'll have to reply here.

I don't strictly speaking do pixel art--I use Flash and Photoshop to turn my drawings into cutout-style sprites. The URL probably won't work as you said but you can look me up on deviantART under the username Dualmask (same as here). I have a folder in my gallery titled "Sprite Work" that shows some of the characters I've made.

• Dualmask

I checked out your stuff on DA. You're pretty good. Some of your stuff is better than good. But you do seem to draw mostly hot chicks. There's nothing wrong with that, who wouldn't buy a game loaded with hot chicks, but you're going to have to diversify your repertoire. All kidding aside, I think when you get focused on a solid idea for your game, you'll do fine.

• Dualmask

I checked out your stuff on DA. You're pretty good. Some of your stuff is better than good. But you do seem to draw mostly hot chicks. There's nothing wrong with that, who wouldn't buy a game loaded with hot chicks, but you're going to have to diversify your repertoire. All kidding aside, I think when you get focused on a solid idea for your game, you'll do fine.

Yeah, my gallery is loaded with the ladies. Frankly with as many games out there that are focused on grizzled dudes with five o'clock shadows, muscles or guns to spare, the world could use a bit more hot chick-focused games. After all, you're supposed to do what you love, and what I love is to create media focused on pretty girls. But diversification isn't a problem...when the time comes to add the males, I've got plenty of designs to choose from.

Thanks for checking out my work. May we both excel in our game development pursuits.

• 31, me. not too bad uh.

• Hi guys,

Great thread, I enjoyed reading about everybodys various experiances.

I'm 34, I've always been into games since being little with my Atari / C16 , I have always wanted to make games but never had a clue really and never got around to learning.

After doing various crappy jobs after I left school until I was about 27 I decided it was time to put all my effort into something I loved and try and make a go of that before going for another Job I just didn't want to do with my life.

After reading the best way to learn (without going to college etc) , I was told by most to learn something else first like PHP for web design just to get the basics for coding, so thats what I did and gave up all my time just reading and learning, things actually progressed well and within the year I actually ended up as a full time Web Developer (still am)

My hunger for making games never went away mind, and I have tried using various things from XNA to Stencyl and now I'm giving CS2 a try (by far the best once I have enjoyed using to date)

I have not completed any games yet I have a few that are like 50% finished, I'm let down a lot by my lack of graphical skills and after spending hours and hours trying to do simple graphics I have decided to give up and just buy them from other people who know what they are doing :p

I'm going to spend as much time as I can around my job and family working with CS2 to make some games and hopefully make one that people enjoy playing.

My skype is alan_neller for anybody interested.

• I'm 43 and a pilot in my day job. I wanted to make games and apps for mobiles but found html5 to be too slow on mobile for the type of games I wanted to make. Still, that's not what c2 is optimised for. I have a couple of c2 made apps out on android and iOS, and I really enjoy the challenges of game design while learning something that I can also do with my kids (important - because this is an obsession more than a hobby...). I'm working on something that I hope to sell on Desura in a few months - we'll see if I can keep my focus or if any new and juicy c2 updates distract my progress... My lessons have all been to do with setting a clear focus of what to try and achieve and to avoid spending hours just creatively tinkering....

• OddConfection

Hiee... I am developing a game using Construct 2... But I'm facing some issues....

The game I am trying to develop is a online tic tac toe which is a with vs CPU and also online multiplayer game...

If you can help me please please reply me soon so that we can have a discussion on it...

• 34 years old, I've been working with construct for the last 2.5 years and I made some small games that I posted on Google Play, Also working as a freelancer from time to time. For the last 15 years wanted to learn how to code for a living, but did not get very far. As I get older I regret spending my early years in life not learning to code. Now , not that the learning seems more difficult but I get a strange feeling that time passes twice as fast and I can only accomplish half the things I would have accomplished 10 years ago.

I had try so many things in my life (classical music, electronics, tried programming - and still trying, electronics, graphics, digital sculpting) and now I'm on the game developing phase. It must be something wrong with me. It started as a passion, but got frustrated lately since I was dreaming of making some money out if gaming.... but got to keep trying.

• Im 32... I was into coding Visual Basic when I was a teenager, with big plans to be a game developer. But then I turned 16 and got my drivers license and started chasing girls, Those plans quickly faded. But now that I got allot of my crazy years behind me Im ready to dive back in full force. Even though I lost allot of years I could have been coding, I grew up fast and learned allot about life, and hopefully can now use that knowledge to help create some great interactive experiences.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)