Hobbyists - How do you make it happen?

1 favourites
  • When it comes to how I make my games happen, it's usually a matter of "how much juice do I have running today?". Certain parts can be done easily and other parts may drag for weeks. Usually my kick is being eager to finish it and share my game with others.

• Set a deadline - the game is either complete by then or left an unfinished hulk.

You will start to feel you need to compromise to beat the deadline. This is a good feeling, go with it.

• for my games, i use conversations with my friends as a muse. we'll talk about armies of penguins with sporks fighting off zombie hordes, and while i cant have that in real life, i can make it in a game, and , in a way, have it in real life. you can check my games in the arcade, upto this point everything was influenced by my friends and has a piece of their artwork inside (usually the title screen). the ideas inside are a collective from conversations etc, so as when i need more storyline or artwork etc, i have people who already have a base interest in the project, and understand the concept, instead of trying to explain how king zulu lost his throne and now theres a struggle over the crown, and hoping they're paying attention and give half a damn. where as, if at the heart of the storyline is a memory that they enjoy, they are more likely to willingfully contribute ideas or media to fit inside. two heads are always better than one. but general life plays a big part. was considering a game where you just open a door for a cat, and maybe it will go outside, but maybe, itll just meow and sit there, staring at you. but if you dont open the door you lose a point.... etc. a lot more has went into it, i just havent made it yet so i dont want to put the full idea out there. however, a game can be made for anything. another method, is to think of making simulators. think of things you can do that you enjoy or that you feel are important, make training videos, and then find ways to make them fun. it adds challenge and keeps you busy between ideas.

• This topic is very interesting for me, but it's always difficult to start. The design of the game is something that gives me an incentive.

• Hi...i am a new user here. In my case when i found out about C2 and tried it i figured i could make it happen if i really wanted to! So i just started messing around. I had it all in my mind and just let my creativity do the rest. Things fall into place when i work and new ideas arise.

• I didn't read the whole thread since i'm at work, but if no one mentioned KillMonday Games, then you should check them.

They are the indie developers who released their own game ( Fran bow - point and click game, if you didn't heard about it, go check!). I watched their interviews. When they started, there were just 2 people in the team(now they are working with people who make music for their games). They saved some money, and for about a year they just worked on their game. Of course they released a demo version of their game, and started a Kick starter campaign. Probably talked with some YouTubers and asked them to play their game and upload the gameplay on YouTube.

Now they are working on new games

• A genius idea can happen anytime and everywhere, but an idea is not a game...

• I'm pretty new to C2, but the whole project starts in my head. Throughout the game, I myself have ideas, I ask my friends "What do you think is better?", So I create a game with good ideas that result in a fun game, I may not know what I say because I am a newbie , but in my mind this is what happens

• I think he becomes inspired on seeing something then wanting to see if he can do it too.. adding his own individuality and style..he seems to be able to put his ideas into a game and has made quite a few but he says they are not quite finished yet!

* typical spam bot copy/pasting another users post, .

banned

• Hi,Dears

Any one of you can help me.

I'm using Beat 'Em Up Game template for my game. So, the thing is this there is a script name (DamageObject).

This script has a public bool type variable called (KnockDown). I am trying to find out where is the variable is (knockDown = true ).

Can anyone tell me where this happen (knockDown) called true.

I can not find anywhere

My English is to bad sorry in advance.

Thank you so much.

• Hi,Dears

Any one of you can help me.

I'm using Beat 'Em Up Game template for my game. So, the thing is this there is a script name (DamageObject).

This script has a public bool type variable called (KnockDown). I am trying to find out where is the variable is (knockDown = true ).

Can anyone tell me where this happen (knockDown) called true.

I can not find anywhere

My English is to bad sorry in advance.

Thank you so much.

gamearcad

This is the wrong place to post your question.

This is called thread hijacking and is extremely frowned upon.

You are also multi-posting the same question which is also frowned upon. Please don't do this.

As I said in your other post, please make a new post in the How Do I section.

Thank you

• It's quite interesting topic, I'm going to try use one of them as the reference for my first step in game development : )

• I started out making games for fun that nobody would see. I just used Construct 2 Free Edition and because I didn't want to pay $200, I only did it for fun and never put anything anywhere (not that I ever finished anything.)

Then, I looked and saw Scirra Arcade, then saw the free edition's 100 event limit, and that forced me to make smaller games. But hey, I finished them faster and now there are people across the world playing my C2 games.

Then after thinking about it, I had this idea to start making a game franchise with Construct Classic. Why Classic? It's all free, so I can publish it anywhere free of charge from Construct anyways... To put my game(s) on Steam I have to pay $100... per game. Although selling my game(s) for $5 a copy, I would only need to sell 20 copies to get my money back. And there have been more than 60 plays on my first C2 game on Scirra Arcade, The Big Apple.

So it is certainly possible to start out as a private just-for-fun game developer and then become a public let's-make-money game developer.

• The Diaper Movie You'll have to sell 29 copies of your game $5 each. Because Steam takes it's cut, which is still fine and absolutely possible.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What? That's not very nice of them, I read about publishing your game on Steam and I didn't see anything about that...

If I sell my games for $4.99 each, how much money do I actually get?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)