Collectables for platformer nowadays

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this template!
  • Hello!

I want to know your take on this issue. So far I think the point/scoreboard like they did in old Mario Bross is pointless, gen after gen they have been improving the collectable system for platformers and my personal favourite was Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot with a basic currency collectable (Gems/Boxes) and the special collectable like the Eggs and Dragons for Spyro and the Gems for Crash Bandicoot.

Alltho I like that system a lot, I dont think it will work in a 2D platformer, because is way harder to create secret areas or hard to access areas where you have those 2 boxes hidding.

Now we have the current Super Mario where you just have to collect the 3 big coins in every level, and basically that completes up the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I like it as well but I would love to see something like Spyro or Crash Bandicoot did back in 1999 applied to a 2D platformer.

What's your thought and what would be a cool collectable system for a C2 platformer game?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What about Medievil? It had a cool "soul chalice" that was filled a bit whenever you killed an enemy. If you fill it up in a level then you get a bonus stage afterwards.

What are collectibles for anyway? In Mario 100 coins = 1up. Other games have currencies, that you can use to buy stuff. Then there are other collectibles that you need to get in order to just finish the level, or to finish it with a 100% success, a gold medal or whatever -- guess this last case may have more to do with highscore polls and stuff i dont really know much about.

Many modern "freemium" mobile games have their own "gems" that they use as a pretty much useless currency in order to lure you into actually buying (with real life collectible -- that is, money) ingame stuff. Like this: "Congrats, you finish level 2! You reward is 3 gems. You need 1200 gems to buy you a new ship. Now you can get 3000 gems for just $1,99!".

• What about Medievil? It had a cool "soul chalice" that was filled a bit whenever you killed an enemy. If you fill it up in a level then you get a bonus stage afterwards.

What are collectibles for anyway? In Mario 100 coins = 1up. Other games have currencies, that you can use to buy stuff. Then there are other collectibles that you need to get in order to just finish the level, or to finish it with a 100% success, a gold medal or whatever -- guess this last case may have more to do with highscore polls and stuff i dont really know much about.

Many modern "freemium" mobile games have their own "gems" that they use as a pretty much useless currency in order to lure you into actually buying (with real life collectible -- that is, money) ingame stuff. Like this: "Congrats, you finish level 2! You reward is 3 gems. You need 1200 gems to buy you a new ship. Now you can get 3000 gems for just $1,99!".

Totally forgot Medievil, that was indeed a cool one

• Rayman Legends is an awesome 2d platformer that has lots of collectibles and its done very well in my opinion. There were two main currencies with lums and teensies and the teensies were basically level gates but the lums had long term goals of gathering a ton to unlock new characters but also short term goals in each level to get higher trophies and scratch off cards to earn bonus levels, large bundles of lums or creatures that generate lums over time.

• I agree, Rayman Legends system is awesome and the rewards are really cool (more levels, etc)

• the cacklebat/ dark magic thing on shantae and the pirate curse was a nice way to make the player explore the game, the bad side is that it was needed for fighting the true last boss.

basically you have cacklebats throughout the game that are more or less hidden, and need specific abilities to be discovered, you fight them and collect dark magic upon their death, collect all 20 and you can access the real ending and final boss forms.

Warioland 3 had note coins in each level, find them all in the game and I think you unlock something (another minigolf challenge I think)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)