Wii U plugin - Nintendo not responding?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.

Hello, I followed scirra's instructions as per how to apply to nintendo to get the Wii U plugin, I filled out nintendo's form, it's been about a month at least and they haven't responded to me or emailed me. Any idea why? What should I do?

They would like to see your games with "Quality" they would reply you, otherwise, they ignore games without "Quality"

This is the game I cited: http://biancagames.com/meloetta.htm

if they honestly don't think it has "quality", then I am really hurt. I was really happy with that game and several others liked it and anyone who thinks it's "bad" has poor tastes. Not to mention it's simply that person's opinion, given that not everyone thinks it's poor quality.

Some one recently posted that Nintendo called them. I asked about how long it took. Apx 3 months. Also others thankfully chimed in too. They will get back to you in apx 2 to 6 months.... I'm still waiting

This is the game I cited: http://biancagames.com/meloetta.htm

if they honestly don't think it has "quality", then I am really hurt. I was really happy with that game and several others liked it and anyone who thinks it's "bad" has poor tastes. Not to mention it's simply that person's opinion, given that not everyone thinks it's poor quality.

No offense, this game contains "Pokemon" word in screenshot, they would definetly refuse due to copyright, you need to learn about legal.

Nintendo, is like dealing with a devil. I suggest you need to learn the advices from other developers who were accepted by Nintendo.

Some one recently posted that Nintendo called them. I asked about how long it took. Apx 3 months. Also others thankfully chimed in too. They will get back to you in apx 2 to 6 months.... I'm still waiting

I am just going to go with this, and ignore the post below it. I have no desire to get into arguments about copyright. thank you for the explanation, jayderyu.

DialgaBrite I know one thing that throws me off a bit on your game is the mix of vector and pixel graphics. Some sprites are pixel art, some have smooth gradients and solid fills. Some sprites look to have a bit of edging around them like they were cut out but some bordering pixels were missed. Not that it is a bad thing to mix them, just that it may throw them off if they are trying to judge it as retro style pixel art.

But I think a big one is probably the fact that you are using pokemon in your game. Nintendo owns pokemon trademark, copyright, etc... and protect it very forcefully. One of my friends left Microsoft to go be the lawyer for their pokemon group. I highly doubt they are going to allow someone to publish a pokemon game on their system. Regardless of if you want to talk about it or not, they own and protect it. They are not going to let someone else try to make money off of their IP.

DialgaBrite I know one thing that throws me off a bit on your game is the mix of vector and pixel graphics. Some sprites are pixel art, some have smooth gradients and solid fills. Some sprites look to have a bit of edging around them like they were cut out but some bordering pixels were missed. Not that it is a bad thing to mix them, just that it may throw them off if they are trying to judge it as retro style pixel art.

But I think a big one is probably the fact that you are using pokemon in your game. Nintendo owns pokemon trademark, copyright, etc... and protect it very forcefully. One of my friends left Microsoft to go be the lawyer for their pokemon group. I highly doubt they are going to allow someone to publish a pokemon game on their system. Regardless of if you want to talk about it or not, they own and protect it. They are not going to let someone else try to make money off of their IP.

Wait a minute here... when did I ever say I would try to make money? All my games will be completely free. I just want them to be playable on the wii u. so many people ASSUME I want to make money on a professional level and it's getting really annoying.

With that said, I want people to stop talking about it. I really wish people would stop saying things that I feel the need to respond to, despite not wanting to. I am going to wait several more months for nintendo to contact me, like jayderyu said, and in the meanwhile, I do not want to discuss copyright with any member of the scirra forum. AT ALL. If you comment on it further, your comment will not be welcome, and I will be very unhappy. my mom advises me that since it is a touchy subject, I should not get into arguments about it with people online. I try really really hard to take her advice, but it is really hard for me to when other people bring it up FIRST. So please. Not another peep about it, kay?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Nintendo takes awhile to respond. As in, a few months. The quality of the game is not relevant, you'll get some kind of response either way - there are actual human beings who read the submission emails.

That being said, if you're using any copyrighted materials in your game, they won't allow you to publish it on their platform, free or not. Doing so would open Nintendo up to the same potential lawsuits the creators of ANY game using someone else's intellectual property without permission could be faced with. Even if you're not worried about protecting yourself, you can bet on them being worried about protecting themselves from any legal action. Your personal feelings don't really enter into the equation, and if you think they should, you may be too young to qualify for their Developer Program.

DialgaBrite, you need to realize some things. I say this out of an attempt to help you.

First of all, you need to learn to not get so upset so easily. This is a very, very important life skill. I understand it's difficult and takes work. There are many things in the world that are upsetting. People will say things you don't want to hear. Learning to remain calm and not get so upset will help you in many ways. Even though it hurts to hear, there is often even something to be learned from someone saying something you perceive as rude. Be like the Buddha under the tree - calm and still in the face of a raging emotional storm.

A direct example of when you will need such a skill is this topic. Your game will not be accepted by Nintendo. Period. Why? I could not tell you because you don't want to hear it, but that won't change the outcome, and will simply delay your disappointment and waste your time.

The reason is copyright.

You can bury your head in the sand or cover your ears, try to silence people saying what you don't want to hear, it won't make any difference. It doesn't matter that you don't want to charge for your games. It doesn't matter what you think of copyright. It doesn't matter if people get away with making fan games on the internet.

Copyright is a real thing, and if Nintendo put your game on their system they could get very real lawsuits thrown at them which would at best require taking your game off their system and at worst require boatloads of money to deal with and hurt their image. You are simply not getting a game using someone else's ip on their system. Same with playstation and xbox.

I'm not trying to be harsh - I'm trying to point out the reality of the situation. Billions of dollars are thrown around as a result of copyright. Companies care about it. A lot. So much so that even if you were the president or prime minister you probably couldn't do anything about it.

Ignoring it will not do you any good. Hiding from truth and reality and denying it will not help you. It will only continually disappoint and frustrate you. The reason copyright is a touchy subject is your response to it. Because you don't want to accept it. The harder you deny it and push it away, the more it will upset you. Denying reality is not a path you want to take as it will only hinder you.

The truth can be disappointing, or hurt. It can also set you free. Either way, denying it is nothing more than lying to yourself.

You can become wise and strong. Disappointments are a part of life, as is learning how to deal with them gracefully.

Calmness. Honesty. Grace.

Take the example of Super Ubi Land. Nintendo would not accept it because the word Ubi also happens to be in the name of another company. Even though there was no relation. They made Notion games change it to Super Ubie Land and even after that they asked for another name change to change Ubie again to something else. They are that cautious.

Pokémon is even more of a hot button for them because Pokémon is a Nintendo property. They own it. If they won't allow someone to put a game on their system because the name is similar to another companies name, you have to assume there is no way they would ever allow a game that use their characters and their IP on their system. They are VERY aggressive on protecting their IP (Intellectual Property). As I said, one of my friends and former colleagues left Microsoft to be a laywer for Pokémon at Nintendo. They have a whole legal department with their own lawyers just for Pokémon.

None of this is meant to be rude, it is a discussion of the facts of how business works. There is no insult to you, no negative comments aimed at you. There is nothing wrong with making a Pokémon fan game, you just have to realize the Nintendo systems are the last place you are likely to ever see one get published since it is Nintendos property.

[quote:37gxlfz4]No offense, this game contains "Pokemon" word in screenshot, they would definetly refuse due to copyright, you need to learn about legal.

Nintendo, is like dealing with a devil. I suggest you need to learn the advices from other developers who were accepted by Nintendo.

As a developer who was accepted by Nintendo, I can confirm that dealing with Nintendo is not like dealing with a devil.

Also to publish games you're going to need to be over 18 years old and probably have your own company, you also have to make everything yourself (it has to be all your property, both the assets and the IP). Just saying.

Nintendo doesn't require that you have ANY prior experience to get accepted into the program. Look at me, I never made a game in my life and was among the first in the program. Now I have a published title and 4 more on the way this year alone. Nintendo takes a few months to get back to you, but please be patient as it is very worth it.

-Mike

I've been out of the loop for a while, you just ask Nintendo for a plug in and just wait? Or do you send them like a demo reel or something? And you still have to purchase a dev kit correct?

Your game has assets from Pokemon, Hatsune Miku, My Little Pony, and uses imagery of the sea shepherd organisation.

That is just what I recognise, Nintendo would probably only ever respond with a Cease and Desist, and if they ever put it up on their store they would themselves receive one from Hasbro, Crypton Future media, Yamaha and the Sea Shepherd organisation.

End of the day DialgaBrite, its really not an issue using ripped assets for personal games, but once you try to put it onto a digital storefront (Paid or Free) it becomes a legal issue

GG-Works

In the case of Construct 2, you submit this form to nintendo https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/signup/

Once and If they reply accepting your game, Scirra will give you the Wii U plugin, most likely under a Non Disclosure Agreement so that you can export it for the Wii U

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)