Published Games on Steam

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • Hi All

I’ve been looking for answers to some questions I have and haven’t really found them in the forums so it’s time to ask I guess.

Hopefully someone can shed some light.

My questions are related to releasing on Steam and directed at devs that has already done so.

1.) Was uploading your game and getting it live an easy process? I’ve been reading that some guys have issues because of NWJS while others say its simple and painless?

2.) Once your game went live and you started selling copies – Did you experience a high amount of refunds due to the game not running on a customer’s pc (Again due to it being NWJS)

I’m a bit confused to this as people seem to be complaining about it, but yet I have supported construct 2 devs and purchased their games and have had no problems. The games work fine. Just look at Super Ubie land, the next Penelope and Airscape as an example

Also I have 3 pc’s that I test nwjs exported games with and a laptop. These pc’s have different specs and are in different states of /updates patches etc. yet all my games that I test run fine on all of them.

The laptop can struggle a bit if things get too busy, but that’s understandable.

3.) Am I correct in saying that small to medium sized games made in C2 is fine for Steam and will be technically reliable (Running stable on most systems)?

Thanks

• I'm also interested on this subject... Please, let me know if you figure it out!

• I bought games made in C2 on steam but didn't get any issues at all, maybe it depends on how they make/implement the game.Im planning to make games on PC and released on steam until I read this . LOL

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • if the code is right - so is the game. Regardless what engine you use. But be aware that it's kind a pointless to publish your game if you do not implement Steamworks API (achievements and such). Some people 'pack' their ugly NodeWebKit exports with 3rd party encryptors such as Enigma.

• Some people 'pack' their ugly NodeWebKit exports with 3rd party encryptors such as Enigma.

Did they really need a 3rd party encryptors to encrypt their project. I mean I read this.

"Minify script

The exported Javascript code can be compressed with Google's Closure Compiler to reduce the download time. This is called minification. At the same time the code is obfuscated to make it extremely difficult to reverse-engineer your project. For this reason it is highly recommended to always minify your script on export. Minification requires Java to be installed. (Note that Java is a different technology to Javascript.)"

Well I'm not really a programmer so I don't know if that really protect your assets from being stolen.

• > Some people 'pack' their ugly NodeWebKit exports with 3rd party encryptors such as Enigma.

>

Did they really need a 3rd party encryptors to encrypt their project. I mean I read this.

"Minify script

The exported Javascript code can be compressed with Google's Closure Compiler to reduce the download time. This is called minification. At the same time the code is obfuscated to make it extremely difficult to reverse-engineer your project. For this reason it is highly recommended to always minify your script on export. Minification requires Java to be installed. (Note that Java is a different technology to Javascript.)"

Well I'm not really a programmer so I don't know if that really protect your assets from being stolen.

Well with NW.js the problem is that everything is left to be taken. All assets are packed into a archive that anybody can open and do whatever they want. Plus the default executable file is just ugly. That's why I am a big fan of this:

http://enigmaprotector.com/

• After some PM's from devs who have released games on Steam and additional research I came to the conclusion that c2 games on Steam is doable for sure. I also purchased The next Penelope and Airscape and the games runs fine and problem free. The "Steam4C2" plugin seems to work like a charm and I will definitely be getting that.

I'll checkout the enigma protector that looks interesting, but I think these days if people want to steal your stuff they will do so. You can slow them down but you cannot completely stop them.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)