Many publishers do not accept construct2 html5 games

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • one sponsor mentioned that most C2 developers lacked the ability to integrate the sponsors sdk due to a lack of programming knowledge.

The sponsor could develop their own plugin using the Javascript SDK to fix that.

[quote:2swm6341]There was also a samsung s3 native browser bug previously, not sure if it's fixed but it was another big reason they avoided C2 games.

IIRC that affected all HTML5 games made in any engine, not just Construct 2.

One reason I heard from a publisher is that they had to have all their games in a certain format (e.g. index.html in one folder, assets in a parent folder, or something silly). It's simply not feasible for us to add every possible kind of export option in Construct 2 - I bet there are hundreds of publishers out there with their own weird constraints. It makes a lot more sense for publishers to accept Construct 2's format than for Construct 2 to have to support a myriad of different export arrangements, and then I bet every few months they change it too so we'd have to keep maintaining them all, which is just a huge waste of time. It's not like Construct 2's export format is exotic or anything, you can have everything in one folder, or optionally use subfolders for images and media... nothing difficult about that.

• To come back to this, the most recent publisher agreements I've signed have all had a middleware category in the product spec section; and every single team know of C2.

• It makes a lot more sense for publishers to accept Construct 2's format than for Construct 2 to have to support a myriad of different export arrangements, and then I bet every few months they change it too so we'd have to keep maintaining them all, which is just a huge waste of time.

This is the most important line for me, and I wholeheartedly agree. Some publishers have very strange requirements and I don't believe it should be Scirra's job to make Construct 2's output fit every little thing publishers ask for.

• gameop - if you file a reproducible bug report following the guidelines I could look in to it again, but it might take a while if we need to find a specific Android device with the right version, and the Android stock browser is total garbage and it may not be fixable anyway. Chrome runs on any Android 4.0+ device and is far, far better for HTML5 games, so I'd strongly recommend using that either way.

• I have heard of some really weird restrictions from html5 publishers, and once again, it is more a matter of "we want things working our exact way or go away, iphone 4 with safari and stock browser of android with fullscreen support and audio working perfectly even though there are mostly only hacks for that in this situations, source code, eventually our sdk, and that for a attractive price, as for the quality of the game, it is only secondary, since we still want outdated devices to work anyway".

I continue to think they will have to change their mind one day, it is not a viable solution, they are restricting the Html5 (wanting something to work with those conditions implies hacks and lower quality, which is abnormal, it is like they want html5 to work on their target, while html5 is designed to be done one way, with the browsers being compatible with it, and also the outdated devices will never be corrected, and they know it pretty well).

• Sill wishing for Scirra Publishing

• it is more a matter of "we want things working our exact way or go away, iphone 4 with safari and stock browser of android with fullscreen support and audio working perfectly even though there are mostly only hacks for that in this situations, source code, eventually our sdk, and that for a attractive price, as for the quality of the game, it is only secondary, since we still want outdated devices to work anyway".

How true!

• It sounds like some publishers blame browser bugs on C2 as well. For example the Android stock browser on old devices is really slow (no GPU acceleration) and can't play more than one audio track at a time, and on top of that can only start that track in a user input event, so it effectively cannot play any game sound effects, only a backing track. I reckon some publishers try a game in the Android stock browser and think "we can't accept Construct 2 games, they are very slow and don't support audio". Well, that is 100% the browser's fault, and will affect any HTML5 game using any framework... but we're not there to tell them that! It might be worth reminding them issues like that are browser bugs, not C2 bugs.

• Ashley & all construct2 developers. isn't Indie means to develop games without a publisher?? Wikepedia says:

[quote:25fee3p3]Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams generally without video game publisher financial support. Indie games often focus on innovation and rely on digital distribution. Indie gaming has seen a rise in the latter half of the 2000s decade, primarily due to new online distribution methods and development tools

So how comes that indie developers wants publishers?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ashley & all construct2 developers. isn't Indie means to develop games without a publisher?? Wikepedia says:

Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams generally without video game publisher financial support. Indie games often focus on innovation and rely on digital distribution. Indie gaming has seen a rise in the latter half of the 2000s decade, primarily due to new online distribution methods and development tools

So how comes that indie developers wants publishers?

• In our context I think it meant that we're free voice in making decision for our games because there are no controlling "parties" who are usually funding bodies/individual. Independent in making decision and independent in funding it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)