Q3D V-2.4 [3D Physics + Skeletal Animation UPDATE]

From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • Eh... I'm trying to rotate a collider mesh (no model) but am getting strange results. It's just me?

Does this (video below) happen to anyone else? Really small .capx test file included below.

Would appreciate any explanations as to why this happens.

I saw this problem as well when trying to apply a manual rotation to a physics object. I ended up just ignoring it and working around it.

• ...I ended up just ignoring it and working around it.

It's "workaround-able" for some games but can introduce far-reaching inefficiencies for others. I think the real question is, is rotating by a local axis -- which should have been a problem-free instruction -- even "advised" or not.

By "advised" i really mean robust, or should I just treat it simply as a non-existent function and move on?. There are a few things I'm seeing but don't have an IQ of a thousand or more.

So, if anyone can correlate why the rotations are only okay at angles 3, 6, 9, 12 etc., as can be seen here, then you're a genius (maybe). Basically values in multiples of 3 (integer) or pi multiplied by another integer.

• > ...I ended up just ignoring it and working around it.

>

It's "workaround-able" for some games but can introduce far-reaching inefficiencies for others. I think the real question is, is rotating by a local axis -- which should have been a problem-free instruction -- even "advised" or not.

By "advised" i really mean robust, or should I just treat it simply as a non-existent function and move on?. There are a few things I'm seeing but don't have an IQ of a thousand or more.

So, if anyone can correlate why the rotations are only okay at angles 3, 6, 9, 12 etc., as can be seen here, then you're a genius (maybe). Basically values in multiples of 3 (integer) or pi.

Another really weird thing I found is that it was computationally three times as expensive to set rotation than to apply a torque to achieve the same effect. I ended up using torques instead of setting angles for all physics objects.

I have no idea what is going on with the uneven angles though. It is just plain bizarre.

• ...I ended up using torques instead of setting angles for all physics objects.

I have no idea what is going on with the uneven angles though. It was just plain bizarre.

My last resort is to use torque (maybe), which, is rather overkill for a statically placed wind-turbine providing one among many other hazardous obstacles for the player vehicle (for a game I'm working on).

And the effin' angles... yes. I'm still trying to figure that out. Even if i made a 3D floor tile in Blender3D, duplicated a few, rotated them and wrote down each tile's X, Y, Z rotation on a piece of paper, then input them into Q3DModel as values for rotations, they don't visually appear the same either.

• > ...I ended up using torques instead of setting angles for all physics objects.

> I have no idea what is going on with the uneven angles though. It was just plain bizarre.

>

My last resort is to use torque (maybe), which, is rather overkill for a statically placed wind-turbine providing one among many other hazardous obstacles for the player vehicle (for a game I'm working on).

And the effin' angles... yes. I'm still trying to figure that out. Even if i made a 3D floor tile in Blender3D, duplicated a few, rotated them and wrote down each tile's X, Y, Z rotation on a piece of paper, then input them into as values in Q3DModel, they don't visually appear the same either.

I agree. I have found the Oimo physics is actually faster than most of the techniques I tried - to the point where I was satisfied with the performance.

• ...I have found the Oimo physics is actually faster than most of the techniques I tried - to the point where I was satisfied with the performance.

Same experience here. Is it any wonder why we'd like everything to be physics controlled?

Anyway, just to conclude on the rotation bits. I found that multiplying pi with any positive number, equal to or greater than 1, will rotate the Q3DModel without any problems. It's an acceptable starting point for spinning hazardous game-objects that are statically placed in the world.

http://crxmedia.com/test/ss/rotation_problem.capx

• Anyway, just to conclude on the rotation bits. I found that multiplying pi with any positive number will rotate the Q3DModel without any problems. It's an acceptable starting point for spinning hazardous objects that are statically placed in the world.

So weird. Thank you for figuring this out.

I feel like someone should be making a list of Q3D quirks and gotchas.

• Hmm, weird. The physics objects don't like being re-positioned/rotated outside of torques and forces / velocity because this forces the engine to do extra updates and triggers a lot of things behind the scenes. I'm not entirely sure why objects aren't rotating though, it seems to work for me. Can u send a .capx?

• ...Can u send a .capx?

Here.

http://crxmedia.com/test/ss/simple_rotation_problem.capx

Result (as posted previously)

• Hi,

Please, I want to know if this plugin works with Construct 3? If don`t what it is needed to works?

Thanks

• is there any ways to make a mesh or something similar for a random terrain generation?

• is there any ways to make a mesh or something similar for a random terrain generation?

I haven't figured out how to do this programmatically in Q3D. tunepunk has had success with predefined heightmaps though.

• Sirvoid I doubt it unless you can figure out a way to use a texture to control mesh vertices, but the texture has to be generated some way. Maybe doable but beyond my knowledge.

• Sirvoid I doubt it unless you can figure out a way to use a texture to control mesh vertices, but the texture has to be generated some way. Maybe doable but beyond my knowledge.

Sirvoid

A generated texture is doable with the "Paster" plugin. I did this in "Robot Rumble" to put dynamic text on the Q3Dsprites hovering over player's robots.

I'm not sure how use this to control mesh vertices though.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've searched and couldn't find an effective answer to the following question and since it's (remotely) associated with loading material assets, model JS'es and stuff, I thought here's as good as any place to post it. Since it could be found with a forum search if anyone else wanted to know about it. Anyway...

Does anyone here know how to effectively monitor the browser appcache "UpdateReady" event in C2?

Essentially, I want a "appcache is in progress" message to dissappear when "UpdateReady", but I tried with the browser object's "On offline ready" and "On update ready" events and they don't seem to work.

It would be great if it did work (or work consistently) so users would know if content/assets are being updated or not.

I did read in one response by Ashley that it's not guaranteed to work and is dependent on server responding with a content-length header. But before I go and do some server configurations to check, I'd like to post this question and see if any one of you delightful folks were able to get it working at all.

Seems straightforward from what it says in their event descriptions. But then again, I could be using it wrong.

EDIT: It works. But not sure why it doesn't when it doesn't.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)