[Plugin] AirConsole - local multiplayer for your game

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Ludo Local Multiplayer board game can be played by 2 to 4 players
  • Psychokiller1888

harrio

Both of you completely misinterpreted what I'm saying. I was saying that only placing buttons on your controller interface is a terrible idea. My controller interface is functionally, an extension of the main screen, as well as a controller. The characters fly between controller and screen, talking to you personally, and to each other.

The point I was trying to make is that it's VERY important to take advantage of the phone screens. Don't treat it like developers did the Wii U. It's not just a secondary screen for buttons, or a minimap, or an inventory. It's part of the game. It allows people to interact with a console game with their fingers. Make them touch and interact with the world, don't make them touch and interact with buttons, to then, in turn, interact with things on the screen.

In my game, you pull a gelatinous cutie, and it shoots jelly balls at opponents, you fling it and it flies forward, you tap it and it uses collected items. You can talk to it, it can talk to you, it can talk to another jelly, etc. Each player gets their own Jelly, and each Jelly is an individual. That's just one way to make your game more immersive to the players. There are so many different ways.

I'm just saying, most of the games on Airconsole have shoddy controls, because they just made normal games with touch controls. I'm requesting that people put more effort into their design than that. That's all.

Play Cards Against Humanity on there, and you'll see what I mean. The cards are on your phone, and because people can't see them, it adds mystery. It's like if you put poker on there, it'd be the same thing. It's because the phone serves the purpose of being a direct, interactive extension of the individual. Take advantage of it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Also, thanks Psychokiller1888, for sharing the plugin that saved my life. You're the best! Good luck in the competition!

• interesting point made. I shall try my best

• interesting point made. I shall try my best

Haha good luck! It honestly surprises me, the lack of detail controller-side on Airconsole so far. Either way, I wish everyone the best of luck! The competition is getting close to an end... XD Scary!

• You got a point. But then again, two different roads as I said. Either you go for a new thing, with real interactions on your controllers or you just go to what was firstly meant, a multiplayer plateform for those not having a console/gamepads/computer. AirConsole should be running on your TV, so it's perfect for those having nothing to just start the tv and share a social game with the beer friends while at home.

Then yes, more games with more controller<->screen interactions would be great. Don't forget that controllers too can communicate between them, no need to always go to screen first. The only limit is your imagination

• Psychokiller1888

harrio

Both of you completely misinterpreted what I'm saying. I was saying that only placing buttons on your controller interface is a terrible idea. My controller interface is functionally, an extension of the main screen, as well as a controller. The characters fly between controller and screen, talking to you personally, and to each other.

The point I was trying to make is that it's VERY important to take advantage of the phone screens. Don't treat it like developers did the Wii U. It's not just a secondary screen for buttons, or a minimap, or an inventory. It's part of the game. It allows people to interact with a console game with their fingers. Make them touch and interact with the world, don't make them touch and interact with buttons, to then, in turn, interact with things on the screen.

In my game, you pull a gelatinous cutie, and it shoots jelly balls at opponents, you fling it and it flies forward, you tap it and it uses collected items. You can talk to it, it can talk to you, it can talk to another jelly, etc. Each player gets their own Jelly, and each Jelly is an individual. That's just one way to make your game more immersive to the players. There are so many different ways.

I'm just saying, most of the games on Airconsole have shoddy controls, because they just made normal games with touch controls. I'm requesting that people put more effort into their design than that. That's all.

Play Cards Against Humanity on there, and you'll see what I mean. The cards are on your phone, and because people can't see them, it adds mystery. It's like if you put poker on there, it'd be the same thing. It's because the phone serves the purpose of being a direct, interactive extension of the individual. Take advantage of it.

yes, i misinterpreted what your intention was completely...i apologize.

i totally agree with what you stated here, that there is room for a lot of new and creative uses for controllers in airconsole. i think whole new genres of game interaction will come from here as people experiment what a controller can do or what it is meant to do.

i see a whole genre of card and or board based games being able to bring tons of interactivity through the controller interactions.

a game like android: infiltration https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-VA79-Infiltration/dp/1616613963 could have the drama and action raised up a big notch with the interaction of the players/controllers with the room based game map.

but i do not disparage simple games with button interfaces. they have their place as well.

good luck with your game. it sounds very interesting.

• harrio, No, it's fine!! Good luck with your game as well! I'm afraid I will not win, as I've seen a lot of the other competition entries, but I might try to make a contract with Konami afterwords, for a Yu-Gi-Oh port to Airconsole and Wii U, now that I now that you can embed games to a website. It's a personal endeavor of mine to make the best Yu-Gi-Oh game ever, inspired by Duelests of the Roses.

Haha sounds incredibly ambitious, but I just do what I want, if I fail, who cares? I have a job... Haha XP

• Psychokiller1888

I'm reading the guide from https://developers.airconsole.com/#!/guides/construct2 and I don't see in the controller.html how to get the message from the screen. Or maybe I don't see it.

Can you please tell me what is the function or code on how to get the message from the screen.

Thank you!

• The onMessage() function is here for that

• Psychokiller1888

Thank you!

• Psychokiller1888

I'm trying to change the button image background. I was trying with this code but is not working.

Is this the right way to do it?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2tJAThC4ueZeEl0aEY5OUQyT1E/view?usp=sharing

• Not at all, what is that if condition?? The jquery to change the css looks good though. Use console.log() to output Infos to your browser. Then a very simple and quick Javascript beginner guide will help you in no time. I'm not on computer, won't type the function on my phone.

BTW you deleted the handshake in onmessage, that won't work until plugin v. 2

• Psychokiller1888

Where can I find the very simple and quick Javascript beginner guide?

Do I have to put the "if" condition inside the handshake.data?

How do I get the values from the browser?

Sorry I'm in a rush, just a few days left for submitting the game.

Thank You!

• arod17pr

As for the handshake and passing data this is a quick example of it would work. Keep in mind if you are referencing the Device_ID since it's coming from the screen the value would be 0 for Device_ID

air_console.onMessage = function(device_id, data) {

if (data.handshake) {

sendHandshake();

}

// The data red would be coming from the screen and changes Player 1 background to red

if (data == "red")

{

document.getElementById("changeBody").style.backgroundColor = "#B73338";

}

};

As for basic Javascript tutorials you can check W3Schools

• ishmaelmoreno

It works! Thanks!

But I'm trying to add a different background color for each controller and for that it does not work.

Is there a way to get the device_id?

How can I do that?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)