warping example

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Unlock platyers earning coins, and save it with Localstorage
  • endless warping...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That's exactly what I want, thank you very much.

I'm assuming this can be modified to fit any size room / view. I don't have time to look at it too much right now, but when I tried to expand the layout it just smashed everything together, haha. I'll look into it, but this is awesome, thanks.

• i couldn't get passed the first level

• i couldn't get passed the first level

It's easier when you fall off the cliff, that way you don't have to jump the spike.

• Did you mean wrapping? Anyway, nice example.

i couldn't get passed the first level

lol

• Lol, Level 2 is much tougher, guys!

I saw a tutorial for this for MMF a while back, it started normal, then you entered an area and it was endless in one direction (Forward).

I added a counter to keep track of how many wraps you did so that it would take you that much time to get out.

• endless warping...

I'm a recent convert from the MMF2 world - would you mind (if you have the time) explaining the code for this example? I love to know how things work before I just copy and paste so I can address/solve my own problems down the line

Terrain: Set X to Terrain.X-player[Platform].VectorX*TimeDelta

Player: Set X to 440+player[Platform].VectorX*TimeDelta

So is the player/terrain moving or is it more like a carpet being pulled beneath the object to imply motion? What is this TimeDelta concept?

I'm not used to the "." between events - is that merely a separator in the line or is that fundamental code?

Thanks for your help and your sample.

Cheers

Brian

• Hi Wetasaurus,

[quote:3q3643ym]So is the player/terrain moving or is it more like a carpet being pulled beneath the object to imply motion?

The player is moving like normal when it's X position is between 200 and 440, and when the player passes either of those boundaries he is kept from moving and the terrain is moved (like a carpet as you say).

[quote:3q3643ym]What is this TimeDelta concept?

TimeDelta is the difference of time from one frame to another.

[quote:3q3643ym]I'm not used to the "." between events - is that merely a separator in the line or is that fundamental code?

Fundemental code. See "Object expressions" in the wiki http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/construct/index.php?title=Expressions

[quote:3q3643ym]Terrain: Set X to Terrain.X-player[Platform].VectorX*TimeDelta

Player: Set X to 440+player[Platform].VectorX*TimeDelta

I'm using the simple formula "rate X time = distance".

The first line moves the terrain at the same speed but opposite direction as the player. And the second moves the player to the boundary plus any any movement the player was going to avoid jitter. Try setting the second line to just 440 to see the difference.

Cheers.

• Thank you so much! I'm now that much closer to being fully dependent on Construct for my game-creation needs.

Cheers,

Brian

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)