Tutorial: Platform School

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Dynamic, heavy and powerful rock themes. 11 music tracks.
  • Thanks for this thread, I learned a TON in just 2 days by analyzing your scenes!

• Thanks for the new lesson, awesome!

• I have a little question:

Why do you set you ground sprites to invisible in the start of layout event, but use the 'invisible on start' attribute for your player sprite?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Edit:

Oops! I read your post wrong

Edit 2:

Oops! I gave the wrong answer to the right question

It's because Tiled Backgrounds don't have any "Appearance" settings in the properties.

• Ah, that makes sense now. I hadn't used tileable backgrounds in mine, just sprites (not very efficient). I didn't look at yours so closely, and I hadn't really registered the full scale of the differences between sprites and tiles until now. It doesn't actually say anywhere in the interface - "Sprite" - when you select a sprite, or whatever. Looking closely I can see how much difference there is between the two.

• It doesn't actually say anywhere in the interface - "Sprite" - when you select a sprite, or whatever.

Ah, good point. Perhaps there should be a "Type" field in the Common properties. Sounds like a feature request to me

• Good idea, added it .

• Sweet set of tutorials. I definitely learned a few new things. Thanks man!

• Very nice tutorial. I have one question though:

Why doesn't Charlie keep moving horizontally after I stop pressing the up/down buttons?

• I assume you mean "Why do you have to set the vertical speed to 0 to make him stop, but not the horizontal speed?"

And, uh... I don't know. If I were to venture a guess... it seems to me that the horizontal speed respects the Deceleration values, but vertical speed doesn't (because, well... it doesn't have any). So if you don't manually set the vertical speed to 0, he just keeps climbing after you let go, but where horizontal movement is concerned he comes to a stop. At least, I think that's why.

Maybe David or somebody has a better answer.

• I only learned about construct a couple of weeks ago so i might sound like a noob, but how do you get him to jump when you press "z". I went through all the tutorials and i couldn't find the event to make him jump when you press "z". Mine only jumps when you press up and i can't seem to change it. Somebody help me please.

• I only learned about construct a couple of weeks ago so i might sound like a noob, but how do you get him to jump when you press "z". I went through all the tutorials and i couldn't find the event to make him jump when you press "z". Mine only jumps when you press up and i can't seem to change it. Somebody help me please.

Application properties... scroll to the bottom. There's a "Controls" section there. You can change the default key that a control uses in that section.

Don't rename the "Jump" control to something else though... You can change the key to whatever you want, but if you rename it then the Platform behavior will revert to the default key, which is Shift.

• Thanks, I completely understand now. Also your platform tool is really helpful.

• Don't rename the "Jump" control to something else though... You can change the key to whatever you want, but if you rename it then the Platform behavior will revert to the default key, which is Shift.

Which is rather weird and should be treated like a bug. In general, a reworked control scheme with multiple player inputs and some more default values would be really awesome. Like, 'Attack' is something that should be in there by default. If you're new to the app, you'll probably spend hours until you figure out how Construct is handling this issue right now (which is quite random, since I can rename Move Left and Move Right, but it has hick-ups with Jump) - which can be rather annoying.

• Well, "Attack" isn't something that's necessary for movement, which is what the behaviors basically do. You can create a completely new control for "Attack" and set it to whatever key you like, and call on that control by it's name with events... just as I did in lesson 5 with the "Action" control.

As for renaming the "Move Left" and "Move Right" keys... well, as long as you're still using the arrows for movement, that's fine because the Platform behavior is defaulting to the arrow keys for "Move Left" and "Move Right."

However, if you change the Move Left and Move Right keys to A and D, for example, then rename the controls "Go Left" and "Go Right," for example, then A and D won't work to control the platform movement. Since the controls have been renamed, the Platform behavior reverts to the original "Move Left" and "Move Right" controls, which are the arrow keys.

So you can change the name of the of the control, or you can change the key for the control, but not both.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)