Tutorial: Platform School

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Dynamic, heavy and powerful rock themes. 11 music tracks.
  • oh man, I can't wait for the rewritten tuts!!

but i was thinking about the way of handling collisions between the player and the grasstiles, isn't it possible to use layers (solid layer for tiles, background layer etc.) instead of using the green collision detector on every tile?

• Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector?

Yeah... what Ashley said. Geez Rich, haven't you taken my tutorial? I explain the reason in detail

but i was thinking about the way of handling collisions between the player and the grasstiles, isn't it possible to use layers (solid layer for tiles, background layer etc.) instead of using the green collision detector on every tile?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean to set the entire layer as Solid? I'm unaware of any way to do that.

• > Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector?

>

Yeah... what Ashley said. Geez Rich, haven't you taken my tutorial? I explain the reason in detail

> but i was thinking about the way of handling collisions between the player and the grasstiles, isn't it possible to use layers (solid layer for tiles, background layer etc.) instead of using the green collision detector on every tile?

>

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean to set the entire layer as Solid? I'm unaware of any way to do that.

yeah thats what i mean, have a solid layer and many other layers for other things. games like knytt use this method and it seems like a good way to do it. no but there should be!:)

• these tutos are of great help

if possible please post your todo list in detail so that we can add

thanks

• > Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector?

>

Little did you know his question was all part of his plot to obsolete detectors.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • >

> > Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector?

> >

>

Little did you know his question was all part of his plot to obsolete detectors.

Hehe, probably

By the way, the new version of Lesson 4 should be up later today...

Edit:

Er, maybe tomorrow, I'm tired

• Speaking of lesson 4:

I was trying to put David's bone animated alien in place of Charlie yesterday. But when I removed platform behavior from Charlie's hitbox then all of the sudden running the cap would crash Construct. (I bug reported it.) Do you get any similar problems when trying to edit part4.cap?

• By the way, the new version of Lesson 4 should be up later today...

Edit:

Er, maybe tomorrow, I'm tired

Can't wait!

• Speaking of lesson 4:

I was trying to put David's bone animated alien in place of Charlie yesterday. But when I removed platform behavior from Charlie's hitbox then all of the sudden running the cap would crash Construct. (I bug reported it.) Do you get any similar problems when trying to edit part4.cap?

"If it crashes, it's a bug" is the mantra around here. But that wouldn't be the only problem with removing the platform behavior from the hitbox... at the very least Construct would remove all conditions and actions that used the platform behavior, so you'd have to rewrite all those events anyway. Why not just use the same hitbox? Resize it if you need to, and tweak any events that need it.

At any rate, it's not a template... it's a tutorial

Can't wait!

Soon

• The new Lesson 4 has been rewritten! Finally!

I've redone the moving platforms, and removed all the detectors. It now uses built-in methods of detection such as "Has wall" or "Is overlapping at offset."

Also, the content was kind of light after rewriting everything so I decided to include Drasa's slopes in this lesson . Thanks Drasa!

Anyway, enjoy. If you find any errors you can blame Candescence, he was the proofreader on this one. Lesson 5 should be up in a few days, hopefully.

• Haha, yeah, I proof-read it. Looking good!

• That one's good.

I'm just not sure about those slops - i know they suposed to be simple, but looks kind of weird when player stand on the bottom sprite overlapse withe the horizontal platform and when he's on top one of his legs is on the platform and the other one is in the air...but anyway im just moaning

• I'm just not sure about those slops - i know they suposed to be simple, but looks kind of weird when player stand on the bottom sprite overlapse withe the horizontal platform and when he's on top one of his legs is on the platform and the other one is in the air

Yeah, it's just a very basic example. This is just a beginner's tutorial, something to give you an idea of how something works. This method for slopes could be expanded to make smoother slopes where the overlap doesn't occur, or you could tweak your animations so they look right, etc. Or you could go with a different method entirely.

But if I showed that sort of stuff it would take forever. And after all, it's a tutorial, not a full, polished game. It's a starting point for new users, and hopefully will give them the knowledge they need to expand these methods into what they want to do, not just copy/paste the code into their own game.

• The next lesson is ready! It's a really short and simple one, but hopefully someone will find it useful.

Enjoy

Next up in Lesson Six: how to make a ladder, and how to swim.

• The next lesson is ready! It's a really short and simple one, but hopefully someone will find it useful.

Enjoy :)

Next up in Lesson Six: how to make a ladder, and how to swim.

Great tuto! The engine looks already so slick, that it would be pity if this wouldn't evolve as a full-featured game after the tutorials series is complete! Maybe the last tutorial could be "making a level editor" and then making the game would turn into a community challenge :D

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)