RPG prototype inspired in Wonderboy in Monsterland

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • It would be nice to have some menus to change weapons and armor and stuff. Also, in the final version (or around the time you put in main menu, options menu, etc.), I'd recommend letting people change the control scheme. I, for example, like jump to be Z, X attack, and C for platforms, but someone else might like a different set of keys. You wouldn't want something as simple as controls to get in the way of people enjoying your game.

• I was thinking in making the weapon and armor upgrade automatic because you'll allways choose the most powerful one, right?, so why not have it automaticaly chosen for you?.

Do you know how to make the keys customizable by the player?.

• so why not have it automaticaly chosen for you?.

because most folks play an RPG because they want extra control over the player. They like the option of choosing the lighter armor because maybe they can maneuver around a strong slow opponent, or selecting one form of magic over another based on the situation. By taking all of that away from them you have simplified it into more of an action game. Not that that is a bad thing, but it isn't the typical RPG.

Do you know how to make the keys customizable by the player?.

I believe there is a custom controls plugin that does this. Check out the plugins section or search for "custom controls"

• That makes sense, I don't want to make it very complex though, but I'll try to implement it so it fits a casual gameplay, or at least something close to that.

Thanks a lot. Keep the comments coming.

• Sorry it took so long to reply to this! I like the concept and can't wait for boss battles! I also think you should definitely let players equip the various weapons or armor.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks a lot varr.

Here is a new UPDATE:

Major changes:

-You can build equipment by talking to people. In this prototype you can talk to two guys that build different armors. You have to bring them different materials in order to build a specific armor, the more materials you bring them, the better the armor. Each equipment uses one material to give the equipment special bonuses against certain types of enemies.

The new thing is that you can carry a limited number of items, and so you have to choose wisely which materials to gather. The materials appear in all the level, in different groups and quantities.

-You can equip different items too, in this demo you can just change your armor, but the system is in place to equip all kinds of things like helmets, boots and swords.

-Stats system like those new nice Castlevania RPG games.

Also, the game aims to be more like a mix between Commander Keen and Flashback in the platform behaviour, so you have to be carefull where to jump and so on.

Looking for your feedback on this:

1)what is it missing to be fun?

2)would you buy this game as it is but with better graphics?.

3)My idea is this, stop adding more features right now and start making the levels, better art and polish it, but If you guys think it needs more changes in the mechanic, then I'll work on it to make a better game. My objective is to sell this game for a low price as an episodic game, like those old Commander Keen shareware games, do you think it can succeed with this idea?.

4)Here is an idea, to make the game replayable I can re-set the level so that it gets re populated with different materials to gather, but in the same location, so you have to re explore the level to find the materials you want, what you think?.

Thanks a lot.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.funeffect.com/prototypes/RPG_Platform3.zip

Keyboard controls: Q for inventory, S to gather, Z, X, C to attack, equip, action and jump.

• I get an error as soon as I open that?

• I really wanted to like this new version, but just couldn't get into it.

Pros:

1. Inventory system was a nice touch. Definitely needed for game.

2. Bringing materials to build armor was good too.

Cons:

1. Stairs just don't look right when they spawn. It looks kinda messy. Maybe if you could limit them spawning overlapping stairs.

2. The movement and talking system was downright annoying. I found myself constantly talking to some guy that I didn't want to.

3. Spawning system seemed odd and sometimes I just couldn't pick up items.

Too answer your questions:

1. There isn't really an actual game here. It is just a demo of different interesting platformer/RPG elements so it isn't fun!! It could be very fun, but it needs to actually be made into a game first (like one short level).

2. No. It has potential, but you need to actually make one full level before asking that question.

3. Too soon to say.

Based on what I have seen you have the game programming/building skills to make a sellable game. The "game" is just to rough to be asking the questions you are asking.

• I tried it, had no idea what was going on (and I played the shit out of Wonderboy back then) and closed it.

Dude, you gotta make sure you present something that is at least playable before you'll get any worthwhile feedback.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)