Physics Experiment

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Simple yet very life-like rag doll made with Physics!
  • I never intented this to be 'score driven'. I just played with the physics. Here is the result:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nnmjgnyjijo/PinB.zip

While working with the latest version, i have to say that the 'pick system' is awwsome now.

• Interesting

I'm a big pinball fan, so I was excited to see this. I had to make a bunch of changes to get the .cap to run, though... changing the screen size, changing the layout scrolling, zooming the display out, turning off motion blur, relinking the sounds... heh

Not bad for the first real pinball experiment in Construct. The graphics are really slick. It does have some problems, though... the flippers often don't knock the ball in the correct direction, and the left gutter kickout launches your locked balls right back into the ball-lock area about 50% of the time. The collision with the plunger and the ball is kind of wonky too... you get the collision sound playing over and over again.

But overall it was pretty enjoyable, I played it for quite a while. I've been meaning to work on my own pinball(ish) game for a while now, maybe this will be the inspiration I need . (I've been kicking around an idea for a while now that's pretty much a mix of pinball, pool, and mini-golf.)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey Deadeye. Nice to see 'the old rats' are still present. Ive not been here a long while. My english still sucks, bare with me plz. : )

Interesting

I'm a big pinball fan, so I was excited to see this. I had to make a bunch of changes to get the .cap to run, though... changing the screen size, changing the layout scrolling, zooming the display out, turning off motion blur, relinking the sounds... heh

This i knew. That it would be a problem. Physics have to run full screen. Else they do weird things. I made it 'resolution ready' for my laptop. How to make it 'universal' i did not know. No experience with that. I figured you guys would addapt it to your own computer.

[quote:jibqvpk3]the flippers often don't knock the ball in the correct direction, ...

They are pure Physics driven. No additional math. Its not that bad to be those simple 3 events. There are 2 major things that cause this.

1/ Its hard to draw a perfect collision mask. I did't put much afford in this.

2/ the ball has an 'ellips' collison dedection methode. And that is not perfect round. Its better to draw a perfect round collission mask. But i was lazy. An everyone will use the ellips eh ? : )

Besides that, i am VERY suprised about the custom collision masks working this well. Its such a great addition to construct. Its very well done.

The collision with the plunger and the ball is kind of wonky too... you get the collision sound playing over and over again.[/code:jibqvpk3]

The old pain. Collision dedection by events & behaviors are still no good marriage. In the .cap you find 2 nice 'new' workarrounds. Take a look : ).

The real solution would be something else though. Collission dedection conditions in the behavior it self. The behavior should stack all collision (made in one tick, or as many ticks as given in a property) and the objects it collides with in a list. This way you can read them out with an event loop. And purge them every tick (or not) with an action. That way you could also read accurate collisions out like only every 10 ticks.

[quote:jibqvpk3]But overall it was pretty enjoyable, I played it for quite a while. 

Thank you sir ! Its far from perfect. But its a start. Especialy the negative spring force is great and easy to use.

In the past i had the feeling that Ashley never read me. When i see the 'pick system' now i know he did. Its just perfect now and great to work with. I hope he considers about stacking collisons by behaviors too.

Another nice thing (for me) would be an action that halts an object at given postion or angle.

Greetings.

j0h
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)