Orl (early alpha test )

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Is a system for building scorecards and achievements online for use in games Using this system, you can create a scorebo
  • Yep, just changing the screen size back to 800x600 improves things dramatically on my end.

Anyway, I've always been a firm believer that 1024x768 is way too big for a windowed game. Sure, a lot of people have big monitors or high-res screens, but not everyone. 1024x768 is fine for fullscreen, but if you're going windowed I wouldn't go any higher than 800x600 or you're going to annoy some people.

And I think the game looks and plays fine at 800x600, the screen size is just about right that way imo. Just my two cents, though, you can do whatever you think is best

To be complitly clear with you, i`m planing to make a setting up resolution and full screen on/off options. And i will, but thats in the future, and maybe even in next game.

For now on i`ll stick with 800x600 res.

btw@ deadeye: do you rekon that in stead of using sprites 400% bigger than the original sprites i should use original small size sprites and then zoom them in cons 400% times? would that speed up the game?

• btw@ deadeye: do you rekon that in stead of using sprites 400% bigger than the original sprites i should use original small size sprites and then zoom them in cons 400% times? would that speed up the game?

Well, it might but honestly I don't think it would speed things up all that much since the game is still drawing the same amount of pixels on the screen at once. And if you go the zooming route you'll run into a whole host of other issues where you'd have to reorganize your layout or use unbounded scrolling and meh... the way you're doing it now is fine.

• > btw@ deadeye: do you rekon that in stead of using sprites 400% bigger than the original sprites i should use original small size sprites and then zoom them in cons 400% times? would that speed up the game?

>

Well, it might but honestly I don't think it would speed things up all that much since the game is still drawing the same amount of pixels on the screen at once. And if you go the zooming route you'll run into a whole host of other issues where you'd have to reorganize your layout or use unbounded scrolling and meh... the way you're doing it now is fine.

ok, cool, thanks.

Is there anything you would like me to imporve or add in the game?

• ok, cool, thanks.

Is there anything you would like me to imporve or add in the game?

I actually liked the older version better than the new one, just because it seemed more polished and almost like a complete level. The new enemies are great, I really like that spike-shooting hedgehog, and I also liked the falling and moving platforms, however I found the drop in FPS to be quite annoying. Even after I changed the window-size it still didn�t feel as fluid as the older version. I also thought that the old background with the clouds looked better than the new one, primarily I guess because there was more of a pixel feeling over them.

One other problem I had with the new version was that when I was hit by an enemy I just kept on flashing for at least five seconds before it stopped, were as in the old one it was over after maybe a second. I don�t know if you changed anything or if it is something else that�s messing it up, but flashing for such a long time just annoyed me. To me it was also slightly unclear what I was loosing from a hit, but maybe that�s because I played the old version. Or it could be just me.

I would say that you have a good foundation for your game, now you just need to add some more content. More enemies, more levels, more challenges and maybe some power-ups or something would be nice. And try solving the minor issues that people has mentioned because they are important for the first impression.

When I recently didn�t know how to improve my game, I sat down and played Super Mario Bros. 3, just to see what made that game great and mine just dull and boring (neither good nor bad). It actually gave me some ideas, so maybe that could be a hint if you want some inspiration about what to add. Just play some games that you like, but think about what you find entertaining in them.

I also have a question; How did you make your sprites 400 % bigger? It would be nice to now, as an alternative solution to a problem in my game.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • >

> ok, cool, thanks.

>

> Is there anything you would like me to imporve or add in the game?

>

I actually liked the older version better than the new one, just because it seemed more polished and almost like a complete level. The new enemies are great, I really like that spike-shooting hedgehog, and I also liked the falling and moving platforms, however I found the drop in FPS to be quite annoying. Even after I changed the window-size it still didn�t feel as fluid as the older version. I also thought that the old background with the clouds looked better than the new one, primarily I guess because there was more of a pixel feeling over them.

One other problem I had with the new version was that when I was hit by an enemy I just kept on flashing for at least five seconds before it stopped, were as in the old one it was over after maybe a second. I don�t know if you changed anything or if it is something else that�s messing it up, but flashing for such a long time just annoyed me. To me it was also slightly unclear what I was loosing from a hit, but maybe that�s because I played the old version. Or it could be just me.

I would say that you have a good foundation for your game, now you just need to add some more content. More enemies, more levels, more challenges and maybe some power-ups or something would be nice. And try solving the minor issues that people has mentioned because they are important for the first impression.

When I recently didn�t know how to improve my game, I sat down and played Super Mario Bros. 3, just to see what made that game great and mine just dull and boring (neither good nor bad). It actually gave me some ideas, so maybe that could be a hint if you want some inspiration about what to add. Just play some games that you like, but think about what you find entertaining in them.

I also have a question; How did you make your sprites 400 % bigger? It would be nice to now, as an alternative solution to a problem in my game.

Thanks for your exosting comment . funny thing is that when i`m thinking about what i could add in to the game, i think about SMB3 and SMW.

The new version might not look so polished becous i did not wakr on bacground at all. just did it almost plain for tests.

Now answering your question: i zoomd the picture 400% in gfx editor and than print screen it. Then paste, erased bg and saved it as png. hope this will help you a bit.

edit@ i know that some of you might like the current gfx, but i`ve got bored with them by now, so i might make new hi-res drawings, with a diferent character to. But that depends on how i like the concepts i`m currently working on.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)