My TIGSource competition entry: This Cursed Rock

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Match the incoming diamonds with the same ones to earn score!
  • Thanks guys

I'm in the home stretch now. Today and Friday are the last full days of work I'll be able to put into this. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so I have to spend half the day with my girlfriend's family (gag). Another wasted night playing Pictionary. Again.

Oh well, at least the food will be good

On the development front I have all the artwork done except one small sprite animation (which I'm about to do right now), and the engine is 100% complete. I've started on the final two cutscenes, mainly getting all the assets in place and ready to sequence the action. I still have to lay out the actual level design, and do some sound effects. Whee...

• Thanks guys

I'm in the home stretch now. Today and Friday are the last full days of work I'll be able to put into this. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so I have to spend half the day with my girlfriend's family (gag). Another wasted night playing Pictionary. Again.

Oh well, at least the food will be good

On the development front I have all the artwork done except one small sprite animation (which I'm about to do right now), and the engine is 100% complete. I've started on the final two cutscenes, mainly getting all the assets in place and ready to sequence the action. I still have to lay out the actual level design, and do some sound effects. Whee...

gogogogogogogogogogogogogo!

~Sol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's done! I made it just in time! With only ten minutes left on the clock

It's not as complete as I wanted, but here it is: Right click/save as.

(Edit: removed crapfire link, whff came back up)

Anyway, like I said it's not exactly the final product I had in mind. I had to cut a lot of corners and leave out some content in order to make the deadline. And the ending is completely different than the one I originally planned (which should be apparent when you see it... the original one I had in mind was actually serious and resolved the story ).

I didn't have time to make any music for the main level or the ending either, so it's kinda quiet. There are sound effects though. Well, not in the end, but during the main level.

Oh crap, I just realized I forgot to put in the "getting hit" sound effect. Ugh. Oh well, nobody's perfect. I had a lot on my mind up until the last minute trying to track down a collision bug in my code where if one of the enemies was showing it's dying animation then sometimes bullet hits wouldn't register on another enemy. I think I finally got it figured out at the last second (almost literally ).

Anyway, this is not only the first game I've ever finished with Construct, it's the first game I've finished ever. So hooray ).

Also, I won't be posting the .cap for this like I did with LHiT... since I was so rushed it's really messy and nobody would learn anything from it but bad coding habits. I will answer any questions on how I did stuff though, if anyone has any. There aren't really any fancy tricks in the game, though.

• This is awesome Deadeye, you hopefully should win the competition with this

• Omfg, that Ctulhu :S

The game's short but excellent :D. I hope you win the competition. Are you going to make a more complete version of it?

• It wasn't Cthulhu, it was just a random creature

And I might make the full version the way I'd originally planned, if there's enough interest. I'm not going to work on it for a while though. I'm taking a break, dammit. I'm tired.

Anyway, I don't really have any hopes of winning the compo. I might end up doing okay, but now that I have time to play the other entries I see there are some really awesome ones. Everyone should play Verge. It's sweet as hell. It runs a little slow for me (like all GM games) but it's still the best compo entry I've played so far. Actually, it's one of the most fun games in general that I've played in a while.

Also, everyone should check out agj's The Lake. It's made in Construct . It's a pretty sweet little game, really short but it's kinda creepy and the ending is good.

• Great game Deadeye, beautiful artwork in the intro! I wouldn't just leave it because you've submitted it, you can always update the little bits, add a level or section or two, and re-release/update it. Now that you've come this far, it'd be a shame not to!

I'm going to try out The Lake (I'm really interested to see what people are making in Construct). It's nice to see the first few completed games made in Construct emerging. Also, I might have to open a 'Games made in Construct' section on the main site. Do you mind if I put This Cursed Rock on there if I did that?

• Hey thanks, Ash

And yeah, you could put it on the front page if you like. Not this version, though. I guess getting front-page exposure is enough motivation to complete the game the way I intended it to be. If it's going to be a flagship game then I wouldn't want the ending just to be a goofy joke like it is now.

But I am going to take a little break from it for a while. I'll let you know when I plan on picking it up again.

Oh, I almost forgot... The Lake also got a mention on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and indiegames.com, so there's more Construct exposure there too

• Hey Ashley, there's a lot of people in my compo thread reporting that the game has no sound and crashes for them during sound-related events. I've asked them to post their OS and specs and stuff. Anything I can tell them that might help in the mean-time?

• This Cursed Rock is awesome! Although the ending wasn't your intended ending I found it hillarious just as I was starting to get a little bit bored of hunting the monsters. I find unusual twists in the story line in games what really draw me into them

Anyways the pixel art is beautiful, and I like how theres a bit of soft shading in it as well, rather than just 8bit images Its like a modernised version of pixel art.

As for the lake, I found that to be really powerful, I wont say anything about it because it will spoil it...but I like games that are an experience rather than just game play.

Verge is pretty good, although I found after player your game the graphics in Verge just weren't as vibrant and the fact that the game wasn't V-Synced and silky smooth like construct it kinda annoyed me

Also I can see if someone made a game in a similar style that constructs platform behaviours gravity direction could be quite handy

Best of luck in the competition

• Waaah, I love this (I'm a sucker for this pixel art style), hope you do well in the contest .

• Hey Ashley, there's a lot of people in my compo thread reporting that the game has no sound and crashes for them during sound-related events. I've asked them to post their OS and specs and stuff. Anything I can tell them that might help in the mean-time?

Have they definitely got the August 2008 DirectX update? It ought to prompt if they don't have it, but they might be missing some of the files (like XAudio2_2.dll) if they've tried to get around the check by pasting in d3dx9_39.dll to their system directories. Ask them to install the latest DirectX end user runtime.

• This game is pure concentrated genius!

Great work!

• awesome game, i laughed my ass off at the ending.

• I love the feel of this game. Its the attention to detail that gets me. it feels really well done though. good use of sounds and pixels. Good job deadeye. Any results on the compo?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)