CHAMBER (working title)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • It's looking pretty good!

Great animations so far!

I totally enjoy a game where I have to avoid traps and stuff.

My only suggestion is that maybe you should make the window 800x600, A LOT of people use their desktop resolution at 1024x768, so that would make the game more accessible in that sense.

Unless you're going for fullscreen only.

It's hopefully going to have a menu where you can change the resolution, but it will indeed be forced to fullscreen. It's not one of those games that you would play in a window anyway... I never understood windowed action games and stuff like that. Would you ever play Call of Duty or Crysis in windowed mode lol? Puzzle games and stuff, sure thing... but this one will be fullllllll screen baby

Cheers on the comments as well. Didn't find any new bugs I take it?

~Sol

• I don't really know if this is a bug, but well...

It seems that the handstand animation speed is set to the player movement speed, am I right?

So, if a make a handstand and I stop pressing a direction, the animation will be SLOOOOW...

And also, after pressing R a bunch of times, it crashed more than once.

• [quote:11v3ogku]My only suggestion is that maybe you should make the window 800x600, A LOT of people use their desktop resolution at 1024x768, so that would make the game more accessible in that sense.

Did you see that, Sol? I didn't even have to pay Kr!s to say that

(@Kr!s... I've been telling him this forever)

• [quote:3itlke3w]My only suggestion is that maybe you should make the window 800x600, A LOT of people use their desktop resolution at 1024x768, so that would make the game more accessible in that sense.

Did you see that, Sol? I didn't even have to pay Kr!s to say that

(@Kr!s... I've been telling him this forever)

It's not my fault you guys live in the dark ages! xD

I used to run 1024x768 on my Pentium MMX166 like 12-15 years ago?

Even my laptop runs 1280x800 and my PC is 1680x1050... Don't worry guys, it will all be fine. I'm pretty sure you can make menu options to change the resolution at runtime. Having said that, the smaller screen size will greatly diminish your viewable area unless I can make it resample the graphics accordingly.

Hmmm I could be really mean and make it run like 1900x1200... but then even I couldn't run it! hahaha

~Sol

• Hell to the YES.

Dynamic resolution FTW! Game now supports windowed modes of 800x600 and 1024x768. Will add Fullscreen option as well. For some reason widescreen modes do not want to work... I can set the window size at design , but not runtime. Will upload before I go to bed... still working on stuff until then.

~Sol

• I don't really know if this is a bug, but well...

It seems that the handstand animation speed is set to the player movement speed, am I right?

So, if a make a handstand and I stop pressing a direction, the animation will be SLOOOOW...

And also, after pressing R a bunch of times, it crashed more than once.

Wow, missed that post somehow.

Yes the animation speed is based on how fast the player is moving. This will be fixed later. It was only intended to affect the running animation but I kinda forgot to set that up properly.

The "R" thing is just temporary, so it won't matter because it will be removed later.

Now... final build for tonight;

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/21/ ... -v0.87.exe

Fixed:

-Wall sticking bug near lava pit

-Hand plant bug when leaping from top of ledge

Added:

-Extra graphics for platform, gives depth

-Better lava effects

-Cosmetic changes to saw blade mechanisms

-Health GUI (not fully implemented yet, so it's hidden)

-Working title screen

-Resolution change at runtime 800x600 and 1024x768 at this stage

Still to come:

-same as last post hahaha

~Sol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I donno If you ask me the hand plant is still a little wierd, its like a sudden stop to do a cool trick. A more hurdle type animation would fit better I think

• I donno If you ask me the hand plant is still a little wierd, its like a sudden stop to do a cool trick. A more hurdle type animation would fit better I think

I've only said about 4 times so far that I have to finish the hand plant animations... there are about 6-8 frames missing from the end.

Hopefully I'll get that done sometime today.

~Sol

• Even adding those missing frames won't really fix what he's saying though. The character literally stops in place to finish the move. I guess maybe he feels it's too long of a pause or it isn't timed right so it just feels off.

It's like using a summon in a Final Fantasy game ... you have to watch all that garbage just to finish the attack. In more recent games, they allow you to skip after the first time and it's helped the pacing of battles a lot.

I guess what I am saying is, the timing could be off, but I can't comment on it more specifically until those missing frames are added.

• Stopping to do a cool trick... for like... 0.2 seconds.... you say it like it's a bad thing, or like it takes 5 minutes (like Knights of the Round (FF7)).

Sorry guys, but the hand plant stays... It's a 19 frame animation sequence, and if anything I might slow it down a tad more so it doesn't just blister past to the point of not seeing it. The game will be slightly more methodical than (I assume) you guys are thinking, so running super fast constantly is not going to be the way this will go down. Also, not EVERY ledge will be high enough to require a hand plant... most of them will be lower than standard jumping height.

I will do one more build after all the animations are done... then you guys will have to wait for an official demo. After that, I will work on the rest of the game with deadeye until it's finished.

Cheers for the feedback... sorry you don't like the hand plant animation... but I'm not getting rid of it.

~Sol

• Maybe the problem isn't the length, but rather that you are just tossing that animation in there because it's available and looks "cool" instead of creating your own animation to better fit.

That's the problem with using animations intended for something else.

Anyways, you're working with deadeye so I'm done responding to this thread. Nothing against you SoldjahBoy - I wish you luck.

• Maybe the problem isn't the length, but rather that you are just tossing that animation in there because it's available and looks "cool" instead of creating your own animation to better fit.

Well, as a matter of fact... it fit perfectly with the idea I had anyway. The game will have a bit of a "free running" feel to it once I complete the wall jumping, wall sliding, rolling, and other things. A hand plant was something I wanted to include from day dot, and Angel sprung to mind immediately (I am a huge KOF fan).

That's the problem with using animations intended for something else.

It looks the same depending on the application. Quite a lot of the frames were chopped from various animations and sequenced together... so there never really was an "application" for them since they didn't exist in the way I am using them. It's more of a case of creative application.

Anyways, you're working with deadeye so I'm done responding to this thread. Nothing against you SoldjahBoy - I wish you luck.

Cheers. I'm sure the end result will be likable. I'm not saying that I won't adjust and tweak and improve it... but basically I'm happy with the animation itself. The fact that the player is stuck to the edge won't be as "obvious" once the rest of the frames are added. You will see what I am talking about once I get it finished.

~Sol

• The handplant thing is something that one will get used to when playing the game.

Please explain how did you do the Dynamic Resolution plzkthx!

• The handplant thing is something that one will get used to when playing the game.

Please explain how did you do the Dynamic Resolution plzkthx!

I will make sure the hand plant is tweaked to be nice

Dynamic Resolution... well let's see

1. Make a menu with your buttons for resolution

(Let's assume that you are making the game stadard at 1024x768 like I am doing...)

2. Make event :

+Button clicked "800x600"

-set window resolution 800 x 600 (or whatever)

-set Global Value "resolution" to 1

+Button clicked "1024x768"

-set window resolution 1024 x 768

-set Global Value "resolution" to 2

+Always

-set button(s) X to window width / 2

-set (background image) width and height to window width and height

3. In your main engine

+Start of layout

+If global value "resolution" equals 2 (standard)

-Set Layer 1 zoom to 100

-Set Layer 2 zoom to 100

etc etc

+Start of layout

+If global value "resolution" equals 1 (smaller)

-Set Layer 1 zoom to 78

-Set Layer 2 zoom to 78

etc etc

(I found 78 to give pretty much the exact same viewing area in the smaller resolution. You may have to play with the value until you are happy with it depending on what resolution you are making your game native to)

I am more than happy to make a CAP of it if you want to see how it works, but it's fairly straight forward once you know what zooms etc you are supposed to set up.

~Sol

• I think I get the idea, but a CAP would make things so much clearer!

Thanks for sharing

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)