[PLUGIN] Input System v0.96b (21/03/2011): Keyb+Mouse+Joy

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Total customisation of the input! You can combine inputs from all peripherals. Make your game accessible for everyone!
  • This is great! I saw this just now and have only tried the examples so far, but it works great.

Awesome work!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Is it possible to have multiple controllers control the same character? For example have the keyboard and joystick both control the player, so that a special option to switch schemes is unnecessary?

• No sorry, you have to manage that in your cap file.

In the plugin, one control is for one player and uses one device component (axis, button, pov, etc...).

But, when I was designing the plugin, I thought of having a primary and a secondary component for the same control. But I changed my mind, because, firstly I don't think it will be often used and secondly this can be managed in the game by using 2 controls for the same action.

• Two questions:

1. How come your example will detect my joypad as input device #1 but in my project it detects it as #3, after keyboard and mouse? I've been looking at the code and there must be something I'm missing.

2. Is it really necessary to distinguish d-pad diagonals as seperate buttons? Is it not possible to just make it detect that I'm pressing left and up at once as seperate buttons? Otherwise it seems like a couple unnecessary events I'd need just for the joypad support and the current game engine.

• 1. Your Joystick is the 3rd device (after mouse & keyboard) and the first joystick. In my example I use GetJoystickName with joystick number as parameter.

2. POV is made of 8 diferent directions events sent by DirectX. For example NorthWest is a separate event and not North+West events together.

I hope it answered your questions.

• I've noticed a small issue.

When you've set up controls to a gamepad and play, if you press two "Move X" buttons simultaneously (down + left for example) the sprites movement stops completely until you let one go, upon which it continues to move.

I've tested this with both a Dual Shock 2 and an XB360 pad and both did the same thing. I don't know if the problem applies for analog sticks, but I doubt it. The plugin doesn't do this when using the keyboard for controls, so it must be something specific to the joystick part of the plugin.

• Does it happen with movement behaviours or with 'On control" condition?

Could you send me your cap?

• 2. Is it really necessary to distinguish d-pad diagonals as seperate buttons? Is it not possible to just make it detect that I'm pressing left and up at once as seperate buttons? Otherwise it seems like a couple unnecessary events I'd need just for the joypad support and the current game engine.

2. POV is made of 8 diferent directions events sent by DirectX. For example NorthWest is a separate event and not North+West events together.

After some thinking, if you're using movement behaviours (like platform movement for instance), I agree that having 8 directions for POV isn't usable. So, I think I will add a dynamic option and when it is set, the plugin will manage POV diagonal entries as two different controls. For example, If NW is pressed, it will trigger N then W.

• I'm just chiming in to say that this plugin is absolutely fantastic and makes life a lot easier for everyone.

• Does it happen with movement behaviours or with 'On control" condition?

Could you send me your cap?

It happens with both.

Here's the cap I found it with.

http://www.box.net/shared/s6xrecxh83

• It happens with both.

Here's the cap I found it with.

http://www.box.net/shared/s6xrecxh83

I can't launch it, I need MagicCam plugin. Can you send it to me or tell me where I can find it?

• Oh right, you can find get here: http://bit.ly/a5GmTX

• Oh! I didn't know linkman2004 have updated his Advance Camera plugin, great!

He should have put it here.

• Your movement is done with a POV, so left+down is not the same as left and down, it's another event.

POV has 8 events:

Straight events: up, down, left, right, up+left

Diagonal events: up+right, down+left, down+right.

So you have to manage the diagonal events, so when pressing up+left or down+left, the object continues to go left.

But, I have another solution: wait for next version

After some thinking, if you're using movement behaviours (like platform movement for instance), I agree that having 8 directions for POV isn't usable. So, I think I will add a dynamic option and when it is set, the plugin will manage POV diagonal entries as two different controls. For example, If NW is pressed, it will trigger N then W.

• I've noticed that your plugin is extremely glitchy with modal layout objects. If someone, like myself, were to use one for game pausing, there would be a few problems in using this plugin.

In my testing, I had set controls in the middle of the actual stage itself, but when pausing, the plugin wouldn't work with the modal layout at all. I coped and pasted the plugin object to the modal layout, I set it to global, but it just wouldn't work. After unpausing, it seemed to work again, obviously.

1. Set controls during stage. These work.

2. Pause game, modal layout pops up. Plugin doesn't work.

3. Unpause game, return to stage. Plugin continues working, of course.

But if I set controls in the modal layout, that is, while the game's paused, it seemed to work. But after unpausing, the plugin wouldn't work at all. Even if I already set controls during the stage.

1. Set controls during stage. These work.

2. Pause game, modal layout pops up. Plugin doesn't work.

3. Set controls during pausing. These work.

4. Unpause game, return to stage. Plugin doesn't work during stage anymore.

The plugin seems really glitchy when it comes to using modal layouts. ^^ I hope this can be fixed somehow. I'd love to be able to use a real PC controller plugin.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)