Waterfalls with varying size

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • Hello!

I have searched and could not find any information on what I am trying to accomplish.

If anyone has played the Bubbleman Stage in Megaman 2, I am attempting something similar to the waterfall area of that.

Multiple thin waterfalls across an area that push down on the player, making jumps a bit slower/more difficult. This part I think I can figure out, it's getting the waterfalls in the layout and moving them properly that's driving me crazy.

What I am looking to do is have the waterfalls raise or lower depending on whether the player is standing under them. So that it looks like the player is interrupting the flow.

I'm not sure how to do it. Would I use a sprite for the waterfall and have the height difference as an animation frame, is there a way to just shrink the sprite when the player is under it, or is there another way I'm not even seeing?

Hopefully I make sense.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you. =)

• I guess you could make the waterfalls consist of "sprite blocks" and then make specific blocks beneath the player disappear when he collides with a waterfall.

Using XY coordinates should make the correct blocks disappear.

• I remembered an old example someone made which might be what you're looking for: Waterfall Particle.cap

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sorry for not answering sooner. I skipped the variable waterfalls and just finished the game without the animation.

Thank you very much for the responses, and the example, I can certainly still use it. =)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)