MSVCR71.dll was not found

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Use this game pack to create your own game, modify the existing game or simply take a look and see how it was made.
  • This application failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
    [/code:3bty0cxk]

This has been happening to me lately when trying to run other people's .caps.  It doesn't happen on every one, just a few, but it seems like it's happening more and more lately.

What's strange is that I seem to be the only person who gets the error, other folks can run the same .cap files just fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any clue how I might fix it?  I'd upload a sample, but I've never had this happen to one of my own .caps, and I don't want to upload someone else's game.
  • None of us Scirra developers use any compilers that reference that file. I'm guessing a third-party plugin is badly configured. It needs to be statically linked instead of dynamically, otherwise you have to go and install those Visual Studio redist programs.

I think that file is used by Visual Studio 2003. Maybe if you find the Visual Studio 2003 redist on the Microsoft site and install that, it'll stop the error coming up, but the problem is in a plugin or something configured to use DLLs instead of compile-everything-in.

• Actually, I found the culprit... it's the "Enable Scripting" checkbox. I went through one of the other folk's .caps deleting things one by one and returning it to as close to a blank .cap as I could, and when I unchecked that box it ran fine.

I confirmed it with a new, blank .cap. I did nothing but tick that box and I got the error when I ran it.

Is this a bug, or do I just need Python installed or something?

• Scripting is python, so yeah, has to be installed.

• Well, yes I understand that it has to be installed to work, but:

None of us Scirra developers use any compilers that reference that file.

The why does the error pop up? Does Python use this 2003 redistributable thingamabob?

And I don't know if this error pops up as a result of Python being incomplete and I just need to wait until it's finished, or if it's some other issue and I should report a bug.

• Oh jeez, yeah, the Python DLL uses it. Man, that's such a headache, I'll have to try and find a static linked version. Python needs a general make-over anyway.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • that reminds me of the excellent Filealyzer by the guys that made SpybotSD.

Filealyzer tells you all the dependencies a .exe or .dll has. Really useful when distributing binaries.

• I've got a tool called 'depends' which does that, it's really handy.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)