Mask effect

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A total of 214 high quality and unique magic sound effects suitable for RPG, Battle Arena and more!
  • How is the mask effect used?

for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

• It's kind of like the erase effect, but it erases based on the alpha values of the image. If a pixel has an alpha value of 0, it will completely erase what's behind it, an alpha value between 0 and 1 will only partially erase, and 1 won't erase at all.

• It's kind of like the erase effect, but it erases based on the alpha values of the image. If a pixel has an alpha value of 0, it will completely erase what's behind it, an alpha value between 0 and 1 will only partially erase, and 1 won't erase at all.

It doesn't even do that for me. It seems to be doing something in the layout when applied (everything previously transparent in the image becomes black, and fades to transparent for the previously 100% opaque area's), but in the runtime it completely vanishes except for a faint pixel thin outline. If I change the layer to use force own texture, it'll then vanish completely in runtime.

• Same for me, also can't figure out erase effect.

I think they'd be useful... can any kind soul post a simple example .cap showing them?

• Same for me, also can't figure out erase effect.

I think they'd be useful... can any kind soul post a simple example .cap showing them?

This is a quick example of the erase effect (ignore the canvas not working correct, used this as an example for Ashley the other day). Basically erase + canvas = worms, lemmings.

I'm still having no luck on mask though, sorry :\

• Basically erase + canvas = worms, lemmings.

Oh so it's only to be used with canvas? that'd explain why I can't figure it out

• > Basically erase + canvas = worms, lemmings.

>

Oh so it's only to be used with canvas? that'd explain why I can't figure it out

Erase works without it too. Put an object in a layer, then another object with the erase effect on top of it and it'll erase what's beneath.

Example

Uses the same brightness controls the amount, that a few other effects use. (oooh faded fog effects hehe)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Or you could use erase to see what's really going on behind the Scirra forum!

Download

Or simulate using the forum while drunk

Download

• thanks for the examples, the first one did it.

Seems I wasn't getting any results because the erase object needs to be on top of the other objects (duh!) and works within a single layer.

this will be useful, I'm sure... I plan to use it to mask shadows out of an occluded object!

• thanks for the examples, the first one did it.

Seems I wasn't getting any results because the erase object needs to be on top of the other objects (duh!) and works within a single layer.

this will be useful, I'm sure... I plan to use it to mask shadows out of an occluded object!

Yeah it can certainly do that, I was considering it in the other thread, but the way things are heading for me, i don't think I'll have the resources for even more objects lol.

• Hey, just trying to figure out these effects too. The examples you posted above aren't working. When i open the file, Construct says out of memory or gives me an error.

Can you make another example for me?

• Hey, just trying to figure out these effects too. The examples you posted above aren't working. When i open the file, Construct says out of memory or gives me an error.

Can you make another example for me?

Update to the newest version and they'll work then.

• Hey, so i figured out how to use the mask effect.

Make two layers and put a graphic on the bottom one which you want to show through. Then on the top one, put whatever you want to use as the mask. Then click the top layer, add the mask effect and voila!

Thing is, it seems to not refresh. If i move anything on the top layer, it leaves a trail. Anyone care to take a crack at this?

EDIT: Here's a look at a game i'm making with my first attempt at using the mask effect. The bottom layer is just a gradient and the top layer has all the sprites. See how it makes trails? How do you stop this?

EDIT 2: Oh, i just achieved the same effect by putting the gradient on the top layer and using the Additive effect.

• I'm getting the same problem, the mask is not refreshing, so it leaves trails!

Has anyone succeeded in doing this right?!

• UP!

But really... I need to know if this is a bug or a normal feature (i'm thinking of using it along with Canvas object to paste the mask effect and make it work by myself)...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)