Logic / programing help

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
100 items casual and logic games. All icons are of a high quality.
  • I can use some help. I am just learning how to work in Construct.

So I thought to best way to learn it is to make a program with it.

I came up with Comm*Bat, It was one of the first multi-machine arcade style combat games written in 1981 for the TRS-80 computer. It' a strategic and tactical battle game that allows you to pit your skill and dexterity against another player in a real time battle to the death.

So right now I just have the basic engine going. Movement, Weapons, Damage, Sound ect. It is very far from being close to being done. I have not even started the programing to load the weapons from the base to the tanks. there is no real AL yet, you can use F12 to move the player 2 tank to the player 1 tank.

What I need some help on is on start up I like to do some kind of loop to make 8 tanks. That it self is not to hard, but I like to use the F1 - F8 keys to pick the tank that I want to control, have the HUD center on it. and not have the other tanks move and fire ....

Also if you can find out were the Laser/Zap sound is coming from when you leave the Base from the right. I know its not from the player 2 tank, as I seen it right by the base and it did not fire but you still hear the zap sound.

Link : http://www.savefile.com/projects/808655567

As this is just something I am doing to learn Constuct please take a look at it and let me know if you have a better way to do something.

I am always looking for new tips.

• / game play.

I dont like the 1,2,3 keys to change speed much.

Press shift + the control keys to move faster ?

And CTRL + the control keys for the 3th speed ?

I would add A health bar to the enemy tanks too.

The background tiling ... um .. does not match where it repeats. Post the Graphics file and i will make a perfect Tile for you. If you dont have the programs to do so.

I so like the looks of the HUD. But the info is for me (personal) a little to much.

I think also that you would be better off with grass that looks more *cartoonish*, just like the tank does.

/ events.

So perfectly organized. I Should take an example at that ! I read them line by line tomorrow if i have time.

There are 2 little things i noticed.

You use 2 objects for the Cursors.

I would use 1 object and drop the states in an animation.

You do collision detection between bullet and the turret AND with the tankbase.

I would drop both in Container. This way only one Detection event is needed.

night.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • To continue.

Main Layout

line 1:

Using A container for Tanktop and Tankbottom will also make the creation, as you have done, more simple. Only have to create One of both, and the other gets auto created by the system in an urge to always have complete Containers.

line 2:

I use Layers to Z-order simple orders like those.

lines 21 and up

I prefer to do the keys different,

On key M pressed, i would set 'weapon-selected" to "Landmine" as you already do. I would move all those key input triggers up in the sheet, so there are visible and noticeable. And just like you i would test 'weapon-selected' later on to take action. But you dont do this for the trigger "space is down".

I would also make a variable to go with the space bar action. Move it up in the sheet by the other key conditions. And test conditions based on the variable set to "fire" later on in the Sheet.

Now you use 2 systems

If you want to to limit key input in some stage of the game now. Then its not easy to keep the actions and sub events that go with the keys from executing. Especially because you use two systems at them moment. Different for space bar then the other keys.

Lines 35 and up.

You could use a family for all the different bullets here. Every Conditions has basically the same lines here.

See, if you use a family for the bullets, ..

The condition "On collision between family and Enemy" ...

Takes all the Family objects, (the bullets) ....

And will filter out all the bullets that are not colliding with enemy from that picked group ...

Then takes all the Enemy objects ...

Will filter out all the Enemy's that are not colliding with Family ...

And only the objects that pass the filtering go to the sub events and actions ..

If there is no collision then there is no object to pass to the sub events and actions, so there will be noting run ...

If there is a collision, the 2 objects involved in the collision will be passed to the sub events and actions, they will be set "picked"

If the action says "destroy family", not all the objects in the family will be destroyed, only those that are set as "picked", those that past the filtering.

I do love that TankTread, btw.

The Zap sound. Could it be. In event 56 you give the enemy tank a target.

And a little later in event 61 u tell it to zap when there is a target acquired ?

This all is not to break your creation down, you asked for an opinion.

• Hi TheInstance,

Thanks for the feedback on my program and no I don't think you are puting my program down. This is just what I wanted. I am just starting to learn how to use Constuct. I want to learn new and better ways of how to do things in it.

On to the game play.

[quote:3w0ct7do]I dont like the 1,2,3 keys to change speed much.

Press shift + the control keys to move faster ?

And CTRL + the control keys for the 3th speed ?

I'll have to think about the shift + arrow and the CTRL + arrow to do the speed changes. I did the 1,2,3 speed change, so the speed is locked in and your hand is free to do other things.

[quote:3w0ct7do]I would add A health bar to the enemy tanks too.

Yes I am going to have a health bar for the enemy tank too.

But the enemy/player2 health bar will not be seen by player 1 (this is for net play)

[quote:3w0ct7do]The background tiling ... um .. does not match where it repeats. Post the Graphics file and i will make a perfect Tile for you. If you dont have the programs to do so.

[quote:3w0ct7do]I think also that you would be better off with grass that looks more *cartoonish*, just like the tank does.

I think you are right about the background. It was something I found quick and have not got back to it.

[quote:3w0ct7do]I so like the looks of the HUD. But the info is for me (personal) a little to much.

Thanks I am glad you like it. As for the info, yes it is very busy. But alot of that is just testing info and will not be in the game.

On to the events

[quote:3w0ct7do]So perfectly organized. I Should take an example at that ! I read them line by line tomorrow if i have time.

Thanks, I like to use the groups to try to keep thinks neat. I been thinking of using different sheets to do this too, as I seen others here do.

[quote:3w0ct7do]You use 2 objects for the Cursors.

I would use 1 object and drop the states in an animation.

Yes you are right. I did this before I learned how to do the animation. This would save time on coding.

Well I got to go for now, the wife is calling me for supper.

Thanks again for your feedback on this.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)