Literally very p***ed off!

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • The amount of bugs I've come accross, Most of them I have found work-arounds but I've stumbled across one in-which I just wasted 5-8 hours figuring out that IT WAS A CONSTRUCT BUG.

I'm not at-all saying it's freaking easy to make construct but damn I've come across at-least 10 bugs which have took at-least 30 minutes trying to figure out it was a construct fault.

Answer me this Ashley and Tom, Now I don't mean to be unprofessionally stuck-up but why in the world did you begin C2 without fixing the most atrocious bugs in C1 first? It's unbelievably annoying to me having come across these half-unbearable bugs and it's such a waste of my damn time.

I will first post the 1 bug that is unbelievably ruining C1 and then the one that strikes me back from designing the game I want.

1) When I use the sprite-editor and load up an existing image file and save it, it cuts the image literally in half, it cuts the bottom half of the image completely off. I don't use families or nothing, a completely new inserted sprite.

2) I even created a new blank game just to check this. Whenever you add items to an inserted combobox, when it comes to the user clicking on the box wanting to select an item, It just closes as soon as you click it. It's got in the way of my game and wasted 5-8 hours of my time figuring this out.

Not to sound like an ass-hole Ashley and Tom, But you need to fix these bugs, Sorry if I did sound rude but damn.. why start the 2nd version of something when the first is like... unbearably unbelievably atrociously buggy.

I've gone through about 10-20 bugs in my first day of using Construct Classic.

• Actually if the image editor in Construct Classic is messing up, then its probably a hardware issue, blah, blah check your drivers, sorry, pat's back, welcome to open source.

• 1- Image editor: yeah, graphics card issue. Update your graphics card

2- Checkbox never worked for me either, really annoying some times

CC is an open source project that has been discontinued, too bad in my opinion, I really like it but I hope C2 gets even better than it

• lucid's link goes in to detail. But in brief:

why in the world did you begin C2 without fixing the most atrocious bugs in C1 first?

Because we couldn't - many of them are deep-running design flaws which would take more time to fix than to start with a clean slate. Construct 2 is that clean slate.

) When I use the sprite-editor and load up an existing image file and save it, it cuts the image literally in half, it cuts the bottom half of the image completely off.

Could be a graphics driver bug, are your drivers up to date? Unlike C2, Classic uses DirectX for the image editor which means it's vulnerable to driver bugs. Part of the reason C2 uses a software rendered image editor is to avoid issues like this.

ou need to fix these bugs

Like I say, we knew there were big problems, and we knew we could do better, and that's why C2 exists. Also you should remember you got Construct Classic for free, and it was written entirely by volunteers working in their spare time.

• 1- Image editor: yeah, graphics card issue. Update your graphics card

2- Checkbox never worked for me either, really annoying some times

CC is an open source project that has been discontinued, too bad in my opinion, I really like it but I hope C2 gets even better than it

I thought Lucid was working on it? Is that over?

• It's not being worked on like it used to be, little changes are added here and there, fixes etc.

2) I even created a new blank game just to check this. Whenever you add items to an inserted combobox, when it comes to the user clicking on the box wanting to select an item, It just closes as soon as you click it. It's got in the way of my game and wasted 5-8 hours of my time figuring this out.

Windows controls are glitchy, considering windows can have a bunch of different versions, service packs etc, your fault for wasting 5-8 hours figuring that out. to use construct classic you need to learn its quirks, what you can and can't do, etc. like any other piece of software.

Programming, even though its with events, will mean you'll run into problems and things that you'll need to deal with and learn about on your own. Guaranteed not every feature a real language claims to offer will work as you please, the same goes with CC. be glad its free and as fully featured as it is. A ton of people go on using it just fine even though it has a few odd bugs with some of the less useful features.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the advice and replies, I bought C2 but I only changed to CC because C2 only exports HTML5 and Google Web Store. I needed an executable exporter, I realise CC is free thank-you for reminding me? But you can't just develop something and keep saying "it's free so we're not fixing this, or this, or this".. If it's going to be super hard work then yeah, I say begin fresh, but wasn't CC out for 4 years? Surely enough time to fix the major ones.

Anyway, I'll update my gfx drivers, and I'll somehow have to find a way around this combobox bug, but I guess.. Thanks for the advice and for trying.

• CC was worked on in the spare time of volunteers for 4 years, most of us on full-time university courses during that working on Classic on the side. It's hardly comparable to full-time development by a company. Also, we're now a 2-man company already working round the clock, there literally are not enough hours in the day for us to go back to working on Classic, especially when there's no financial benefit to us doing so. In fact, since Classic is so difficult and time consuming to work with, diverting resources away from the profit-making C2 could actually sink us completely at this time, so it's genuinely off the cards. On the other hand it is open source and there are some other developers working on it - r2 is in the works and should be out soon with some minor fixes by other devs.

Again, these problems probably can't ever be fully resolved for technical reasons - Classic really is beyond repair - the bug fix is Construct 2. So yes, it would be super hard work, and certainly too much work for official Scirra devs. We're still supporting the work involved in building and distributing new releases so we are helping to keep it going, but that's as far as it is possible for us to practically help with Classic at the moment.

Finally, I'm afraid to have to put it like this, but I don't think we're obliged to spend long unpaid hours working on some software you got for free, especially when we have already fixed all the issues and called it Construct 2.

• CC is an open source project that has been discontinued, too bad in my opinion, I really like it but I hope C2 gets even better than it

its not discontinued. Its still open source, and there is another version releasing soon.

• Hi, sup, first post & poster here, I found the above interesting, so:

Just put months of work into a project in Game Maker 7, only to decide the bugs were too much; specifically, lack of reliable physics engine handling and problems with screen tearing, and collision checking, and slow screen response -- on a powerful enough pc with ample graphics card...damn game just wouldn't run smoothly. And yes, after all it's very possible my code just sucked ;-)

Looking for alternative make-a-game-ware, I grab a bunch of freebies off the web, including CC and C2. Preferring a stand-alone .exe over dependence on web or browser, I cull C2 from the herd and install CC on both a Windows7 64bit pretty decent rig, and on an old underpowered 32bit laptop running XP.... No surprise, it runs great on Old Faithful and like crap on Big Win7 64. As do most things. Seriously.

Ah, now I see (above) CC has bugs. Oh, what the hell, so do we all. Nothing's perfect. Might as well just face it: You gotta design the game around the bugs. Change things, redesign, work around -- they're a fact of life, humanity, and software, and don't expect they'll ever be resolved, although sometimes they are. Being forced to alter course sometimes opens up new vistas, my game has evolved because of bugs, so I salute them.

Both sides have a point, deserving of passion and validity: On the one hand, free stuff rocks! On the other, even free stuff can piss you off.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. I've got megabytes of trippy graphics and sprites and tailor made sound files and an entire epic game, just waiting to be slipped into code. I'm mostly a graphics guy, still going through nooberty with code, so I'm lookin', alas, for an easy way out, through flattery and charity:

Were I half as smart as half as any one of you, I wouldn't have to beg: Any of you code-slinging geniuses wanna collaborate with a great graphic artist and conceptualizer on an epic game? I'll do all the grunt work and even shine your shoes!

Peace.

• I'd accept the explanation that C2 is the fix to CC if it exported to .exe, but that's really the big difference and why I don't use C2.

Granted, I haven't noticed any horrible bugs in Classic and I actually like it a lot more than most of the programs I've used in the past. So I am grateful for it, it's just that the explanation doesn't really satisfy me. It seems like a small reason, and it's only one thing, but the lack of .exe export just doesn't feel like any kind of fix. It's like how in some yearly sports video games, you see them taking out features sometimes. It doesn't bother everyone, but sometimes there is a small group that's constantly pleading with the devs to add it back in. I guess you could put me in that category. So I do hope you guys add .exe support in the future.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)