Is there a wait command that you can use to pause actions?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
In this game you will command the character by voice command.
  • If not, can you make one using the system clock?

• You can use the system clock if you want to.. but you'll need to setup variables. I believe there is a wait plugin, and also you can use the function plugin and call a function after a delay (in ms)

• Um, how do I actually get the time?

• i think the date object can do it?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sorry, I meant the server time.

• There is a wait object that can put a delay into actions. It depends if you are trying to simply delay something within the action, or if you want it paused indefinitely.

To delay an action:

On <some condition>

--Do: create sprite1 at x,y

------ play sound "somesound.wav"

------ wait 2,000 ms

------ change animation to "DoneTaunting"

If you want the action paused indefinitely, then I have no idea how you might do that. I would look at using some kind of toggle condition rather than trying to switch at the action level. Something like:

Is global('Something') = 1

--Do: Set global('something') = 0

If you don't set it 0 immediately, then this action will repeat every tick (unless that's what you want it to do).

---- do other things

On SomeOtherCondition

--Do: set global('Something') = 1

Note:

I've found that wait acts strangely in loops. What I *think* is happening, is that each iteration of the loop starts another wait cycle in parallel, effectively nullifying it.

If I did:

ON SomeEvent

--Repeat 12 times

------- spawn an object

------- play a sound

------ wait 1000ms

I find that all 12 appear instantly, and all the sounds play seemingly at once. It's as though 12 'waits' are created simultaneously.

• You could try timescale here.

Unfortunately it effects everything that uses timedelta. Hopefully that will be remedied in C2.

• Hah, yeah I was messing around with timescale a couple of days back. That was fun. I like the way sound effects slow down to match.

I'm glad I've tied all my events into timedelta now. I could have a slo-mo powerup that gives bullet time properties to my game. The firing control isn't in timedelta yet, but I think I'll leave it that way because of the way it turned out.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)