Grouping objects (for layout purposes)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Welcome! I-Spy (Hidden objects) is an educational puzzle that is more than just seek-and-find activities.
  • Hi there, I hope this isn't a stupid question. I'm working on a game with quite a few layers and objects and sometimes find that selecting and moving what I want is a little difficult in Construct. Is there an option that I have overlooked to 'group' objects together so that they can be moved as one (like in graphics programs such as Illustrator or Indesign)?

I know you can shift click objects to move more than one, but I'm using a lot of normal maps so this doesn't really work well, neither does the click & drag method (buggy?). Anyway, if anyone can shed some light it would be much appreciated :)

• Not sure about the grouping, but I know the click/drag/highlight select only grabs objects when you drag over ALL 4 points of the bounding box.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've been looking for such a function/tool for a long time. I feel stupid too because I can't imagine how you can build a big project/levels without any mean to group/parent object via and editor tool.

If none exist I guess building/editing your levels in photoshop is the best/only option.

So many dash in that post... trololol

• Unfortunately Constructs editor wasn't designed for this kind of grouping. Most users who need that kind of functionality have opted to create their own editors. If you do a search on the forum, you'll probably notice quite a few topics on the matter.

If none exist I guess building/editing your levels in photoshop is the best/only option.

Actually its not a very good option if you plan on importing large images into the program. Construct works best with many smaller (optimized IE p^2) images.

Its not very time effective, unless you use a custom editor, but on the other hand, smaller images used as multiple instances do not add to vram once the initial image is imported.

• Oh thanks now I can stop searching for it.

Ya you're right about the texture size. I guess I meant using modularity to the max, like building a couple forest tiles of 256 x 256 instead of a bunch of tree objects, just for manipulation efficiency.

My shift+click folder idea doesn't work either since you can't create more than level 1 folders hierarchy in the project tree.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)