Gravity shifting

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Gravity Square is a game where I aim to reach the square at the polka dot door :)
  • Hello all, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could fix the point of gravity to an object.

Think like Mario Galaxy how mario jumps off one planetoid but then gets sucked into the gravitational pull of another.

Another example would be to simply be running on a 2D plane with a floor and a ceiling, jump up, have the character flip upside down and then be running on the ceiling.

Help would be appreciated

thanks,

Mik

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The platform behaviour allows gravity to be Up, Down, Left or Right, and can be changed during gameplay (which is what I'm doing in one of my Construct projects).

I did ask many, many months ago whether it was possible to have 360 degrees of gravity direction for the behaviour (in fact, I'm sure I submitted a feature request), but never heard anything back.

Probably too difficult or time consuming for the devs.

So if you want more than the main four directions, you'll need to write your own gravity system.

Sponge.

• [quote:151ffk68]Another example would be to simply be running on a 2D plane with a floor and a ceiling, jump up, have the character flip upside down and then be running on the ceiling.

This you can already do. In fact, I'm making a game where you can do exactly that.

As for the 360 degree gravity, you might try physics. But yeah, as SpongeBrain said making your own custom movement with events would probably be the best way to go.

SpongeBrain: I don't think it would really be feasible to add 360 gravity to the existing platform behavior, the way it works currently is just not compatible at all. David would probably have to rewrite the behavior from scratch.

Though if David is still working on his Custom Movement behavior (or whatever it's called) then it would be a lot easier to make a 360 degree gravity platform whatever blah blah.

• This you can already do. In fact, I'm making a game where you can do exactly that.

That's exactly what I just said to him.

Are we writing the same game? lol

SpongeBrain: I don't think it would really be feasible to add 360 gravity to the existing platform behavior, the way it works currently is just not compatible at all. David would probably have to rewrite the behavior from scratch.

Yeah, I hinted that that was the case when I said it was probably too difficult or time consuming for the devs, and that it was probably why I never heard anything back.

We can't expect plugins to do all the hard work for us can we.

That custom movement behaviour sounds interesting.

Is there a discussion on these forums about it anywhere?

Sponge.

• Sorry everyone I've been away, thanks so much for the info, it works with the directional gravity and I'm trying to make a custom physics based movement so it works in 360 degrees, so far it kind of works, ish, well the object keeps flipping out if there's more than one point of 'gravity' on the screen, I'll put up a cap later.

>

> This you can already do. In fact, I'm making a game where you can do exactly that.

>

That's exactly what I just said to him.

Are we writing the same game? lol

> SpongeBrain: I don't think it would really be feasible to add 360 gravity to the existing platform behavior, the way it works currently is just not compatible at all. David would probably have to rewrite the behavior from scratch.

>

Yeah, I hinted that that was the case when I said it was probably too difficult or time consuming for the devs, and that it was probably why I never heard anything back.

We can't expect plugins to do all the hard work for us can we.

That custom movement behaviour sounds interesting.

Is there a discussion on these forums about it anywhere?

Sponge.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)