Creating Worms or Scorched Earth Game??

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Ambient Earth showcases sound effects from all across the United States.
  • I was wondering if there are any tutorials or examples of how to create a Worms or Scorched Earth type game in Construct. For example creating a power bar (shows how much power when you hold down a key and then when released shoots the projectile) and how to use angles for aiming. How would Construct calculate how much power was used and what angle the shot or projectile was fired?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks

Ikonz101

• Hi. I don't know of any tutorials on such a game. I made a simple example of how one might do such things, though (v0.99.92): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5868916/Artillery.cap

A power bar can be pretty easy to do. Could use a progressbar object, I suppose, but I'd prefer a sprite in most cases. I just used it's width as the measure of power. I surrounded it with a box object for a visual on what the max would be... EDIT: Just remembered that I used a tiled background object for the bar, because it generally scales better than a sprite, in my opinion.

Though this is the first time I've tried the Physics behavior, it seems to lend itself well to such a game, so I used that. The attributes of that behavior can be tweaked as needed. Just one action containing a few simple calculations sets the projectile in motion at the proper angle and speed.

It uses the RMB to set angle and the LMB to set power.

• This is a great example Silent Cacophony Only thing I need now is to learn how to put a cross hair in front of the turret (not a free roaming cross hair with mouse but a cross hair set in place that can be moved up and down with arrow keys). Thank you for the link lucid for the destructible terrain. This is awesome guys....thank you.

Ikonz101

• I would not recommend using Physic behaviour for projectiles, they caused weird crashes on collision with canvas object. Maybe it was because of unstable release.

• I would not recommend using Physic behaviour for projectiles, they caused weird crashes on collision with canvas object. Maybe it was because of unstable release.

Are you talking about the demo that Silent Cacophony made or just Construct in general. I didn't see any crashes on the demo. I am also using Windows XP.

Ikonz101

• How do I set a trial effect for the ball after it is launched? Is there a effect for this?

Thanks

Ikonz101

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I made my own game and tried that behaviour, but ive encountered crashes. if you don't have any it was probably my fault, but still I use custom movement for basic balistics. As for trail effect you could use particles that would appear behind projectile and maybe combined with container.( read wiki )

• [quote:34z711fa]As for trail effect you could use particles that would appear behind projectile and maybe combined with container.( read wiki )

When I try to add the particles container to the projectile it crashes Construct so I think it might be a bug. If you can get it to work let me know. Thanks for the tips TheBricktop.

Ikonz101

Edit: Got it working had to destroy on startup. It doesn't follow the ball it just spawns in a certain location. What would I use to make it follow behind the ball?

Tried the missile trail example but couldn't get it working...getting frustrating..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)