Could someone tutor me a little?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Help the cute broccoli to get past all obstacles in his way!
  • Hello there, I recently got Construct, and I must admit it amazes me. But I quite need help here, I'd like to have a 2D scroller, but I haven't been able to find a tutorial anywhere, if there is a somekind of tempelate 2D game or something, I'd love to know about it. Thank you for your time

• From the main menu choose New -> Template/example. There are a few things you could check out there, the 'Scrolling basics' may be of specific interest to you. Also, check out the Learn page. Try running through the Ghost Shooter tutorial there - it's a top-down scroller, but the scrolling principles are the same (plus you'll learn general usage of Construct). Lastly, it's incomplete, but have a poke around the Wiki.

• Welcome .

A 2D scroller is a very simple concept, even if it doesn't appear it at first usage. Use sprites for your character and platforms/objects; to insert these double click the layout area, and find Sprite. After you've inserted a character, you can give it movement by clicking it, expanding 'Behaviors' - in the properties bar on the left - and adding a Platform behavior. To give it things to walk on, after inserting some platforms, click them and expand the 'Attribute' category. Check 'solid' here, and then when you run your game (Run under the 'Project' tab) you can move about on the platforms.

To add scrolling, you can adjust the layout size by clicking a blank area of the layout, and changing the width/height. Then click back on the character, and check the 'center on me' attribute. You'll then notice that when walking about, the screen follows the character.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• Now that Rich mentions it, there's also a 'Simple platformer' template that demonstrates exactly what he described!

• Allright, thank you very much for your help. I'll check out the tutorials and see if I run into any problems later on.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sorry to bother you again, but I can't find a way to animate my characters, I got it to move and have gravity and such, but still I can't figure out how to get it to have animations. Would someone be so kind and explain how it works?

• Animations are added through the Animator Bar, which is docked by default in a tab on the right.

To access them, click on a Sprite. You should see a 'Default', which is the animation playing normally. You can add frames to animations by right clicking the bottom half of the bar, which shows all the frames of the current animation.

To add a new animation, right click the top half and click 'Add new animation'. Note that all animations have one angle by default. You can add more angles (which play automatically when the character rotates to the specified direction), by right clicking an animation and picking 'Add new angle'. You can rename animations through the properties bar on the left, by clicking the animation.

Then, to make these new animations play, use the 'Set animation' action of Sprite in events.

• Thank you very much

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)