A little concerned about file sizes...

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Source File, music and art pack for Android Negotiator
  • Right now, when I create an .exe file, it comes out to 23.8 MB. The problem is that I've just barely started on my game. I have 9 layouts, and almost 20 event sheets. I have approximately 110 Global Variables. To me, all of this doesn't feel like it should be taking up as much space as it should. And removing all the sound files only reduces the file size by 10 MB. Is there anything I can do about this, or are Construct .exe files normally pretty big for some reason?

• The size of the exported .exe grows with the assets and plugins you include (e.g. the physics behavior needs about 2 MB, a large 512x512 texture needs 1 MB, etc.).

With this in mind, you could try to use smaller textures, less animation frames, or omit behaviors, if the same effect could be achieved with just a few events.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Graphic and sound assets are the main culprits. Don't go overboard on texture sizes nor animations. There is a reason modern AAA titles occupy a whole DVD despite being short gameplay wise.

• Graphic and sound assets are the main culprits. Don't go overboard on texture sizes nor animations. There is a reason modern AAA titles occupy a whole DVD despite being short gameplay wise.

You know, I was just considering that as a lazy alternative to trimming down behaviors or other things. Is it possible to put the game on a CD or DVD and let it run off that? Has anyone made a plug-in for that? If not, someone SHOULD. That'd be awesome.

• You wouldn't need something special for that. Just outsource your graphic/sound/music files and load them as needed while running the game. Then use an installer package and make sure to make an registry entry with the path to the game's data folder on cd/dvd. When starting the game from harddisc (where only the exe would be installed) you game uses the registry object to access the path information and load the data from there.

Or if your installer package is able to create an ini file, just store the path in an ini file and use the ini-object to retrieve the path information.

• One thing that bothers me is that a image in the layout will be loaded each time you load the enitre application unlike in MMF. So I always have images external if they are large.

• One thing that bothers me is that a image in the layout will be loaded each time you load the enitre application unlike in MMF. So I always have images external if they are large.

There is an option to only load the images at the start of a layout (for that layout, not all images in the application). It's in the application properties.

• But wouldn't people be able to see the images and sound files by opening up those folders? Since I assume the files would still be in the folder as .jpgs, and .wavs or whatever?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)