Which version of Visual Studio should I use?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
This music pack covers differents situations for visual novels, anime games and many more!
  • I really would not recommend anyone uses Dev-C++. As far as compilers go, it's old, beta, unfinished and unmaintained, last updated in 2005. That's getting on for four years ago - I strongly recommend you keep up to date with at least regularly maintained compilers.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • More to the point, you can't compile the IDE and runtime with Dev-C++ .

• Hello All,

I have just installed Visual Studio 2008 Express on my Windows XP machine and checkout the cvs of Construct. When I compile the IDE I got the following messages:

d:\workdir2\teaching\construct\january_2008\cvs_main\ide\stdafx.h(63) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'afxsock.h': No such file or directory
    [/code:1e1qjo09]

Also get the following error message:

[code:1e1qjo09]iles\microsoft visual studio\vc98\mfc\include\afxwin1.inl(1014) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int[/code:1e1qjo09]. 

It looks like a MFC problem.

Which version of MFC should I used? Do I need Windows Platform Development Kit (PSDK)? If so which version and What are Construct Dependances?

Which one of the Construct module should I build first? The IDE, Runtime or the SDK?

Thank you everybody. I really appreciated all past feedback and advices given to me. As a beginner there is always a running around as part of learning new thing   

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
    Sanyaade
  • You can't build the IDE or Runtime without a higher edition of Visual Studio to my knowledge (because it requires MFC); you might want to check out Dreamspark:

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

To see if you can get it for free.

• Thanks Rich!

I will see if I could get one from my workplace.

God blesses!!!

Best regards,

Sanyaade

• There are two versions of the SDK - Win32 and MFC. You could try compiling the Win32 one, but it requires ATL, which is also missing from the Express editions I think...

I think all the interfaces to Construct itself are const char*s - it might be possible to eliminate all dependency on MFC/ATL...

• It'd be great if dependency on MFC/ATL was eliminated. I'm willing to develop my own plugins for Construct, but since source depends on ATL and therefore requires Pro Edition of Visual Studio that's not an option for me now.

• Hello Everyone!

I am having problem compiling Construct in both Visual Studio 2005 and 2008. Both are full edition and not express. The problem is the "ProfUIS284ym.lib". I get the error:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'ProfUIS284ym.lib'[/code:95gm08kk]

How do get this library or how to compile it?  I using the current CVS of Construct. 
    Kindly help everybody!

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
    Sanyaade
  • Send me an email to , I'll see if I can get you the libs you need.

• Library 'ProfUIS284ym.lib' for the Construct

Hi Ashley and everyone,

I download the free vesrion of ProUIS and compile it for the ProfUIS284ym.lib but the Visual studio 2005 seems not to find the library despite pointing it to that library directory through the tools -> option and added the folder path to library folder. Even when I copy the library into the IDE --> LIBS folder but I still get the - cant open the 'ProfUIS284ym.lib' error message.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Is the path hard-coded? or where should I put the library for Visual Studio 2005 to find it?

Ashley I have already sent you an email to send me the library and I made mentioned of this problem inside it as well.

Any help, pointers, advises will be well appreciated!

God blesses!!!

Best regards,

Sanyaade

• I'm thinking about taking a crack at figuring out how the Python to Construct implementation works.. I'm guessing a little of extending python with c++ and some embeddeding python in c++. not sure if I'll actually add ability to use external modules, but at the very least I will probably write a plugin that tests out combining python with C in construct.

So my question is what version of Visual Studio is the best to use right now to work on the core engine and well as to write plugins with the SDK?

Thanks!

• where do i get ProfUIS284ym.lib? we are trying to compile the source and we cant find where this dll is? please reply asap as we are stuck for our critical project to debug crash. Thanks.

• you have to buy those libraries in order to use them. Im telling you the best way to get help is to explain the problem in depth and what you are trying to do even if you just give us screen shots of your code people here could probably debug it. I dont think anyone here would try to steal your stuff it has never been a problem and I hope it never is.

Also if your having problems the Help/tech support topic is the best place to post not in here this forum is one of if not the slowest of all the topics.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)